Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Belle Isle Tunnel

Another interesting pic from WSU Virtual Motor City....I can't recall seeing many pics at all of the tunnel to Belle Isle,especially with the amusement park in the background!

I think this was answered before, but here goes. That was an underpass for Jefferson Ave. Grand Blvd went under it to connect with the Belle Isle bridge. It's not a tunnel to Belle Isle.
    The amusement park was called Electric Park and was on the mainland side, not on Belle Isle. I believe it was where Waterworks Park is.
    Here's a link to some more pictures: http://www.waterwinterwonderland.com...?id=305&type=2

EastSider Guest

Gabriel Richard Park, right next to the MacArthur Bridge, is the old site of Electric Park. Waterworks Park is further out Jefferson.

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I think this was answered before, but here goes. That was an underpass for Jefferson Ave. Grand Blvd went under it to connect with the Belle Isle bridge. It's not a tunnel to Belle Isle.
    The amusement park was called Electric Park and was on the mainland side, not on Belle Isle. I believe it was where Waterworks Park is.
    Here's a link to some more pictures: http://www.waterwinterwonderland.com...?id=305&type=2
    Electric Park was not on the site of the waterworks. It was located on Jefferson immediately to the east of the bridge approach. There is a large green space there today.

Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    Electric Park was not on the site of the waterworks. It was located on Jefferson immediately to the east of the bridge approach. There is a large green space there today.
    Thanks DC and East, I wasn't sure about that statement.

I've seen photos with an amusement park on either side of the Belle Isle Bridge in various years.Were both parks "Electric Park" or was there another name for one of the parks?

I should have clarified that, I was aware that it was not a tunnel to Belle Isle, but in our youth that is what we called it. It was a rather long underpass, and had a sign urging you not to honk your horn, which most dads promtly ignored!

The Dude Guest

Quote Originally Posted by KENSINGTONY View Post
    I've seen photos with an amusement park on either side of the Belle Isle Bridge in various years.Were both parks "Electric Park" or was there another name for one of the parks?
    No, Belle Isle was Belle Isle, Electric Park was on the mainland side. It closed in 1920 something because of rowdy people.

Can you believe a city counc8il member wants to make Belle Isle anamusement park? Don't they know why Electric and Edgewater Parks closed?

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    No, Belle Isle was Belle Isle, Electric Park was on the mainland side. It closed in 1920 something because of rowdy people.

Can you believe a city counc8il member wants to make Belle Isle anamusement park? Don't they know why Electric and Edgewater Parks closed?
    I'm too young to know the answer to that firsthand. And a few of our current City Council members might be also. Could you be more specific about the reason for the closing of these parks?

And Eastwood Park and Jefferson Beach Park.

Amusement parks are built as "theme parks" now and are built way out in the sticks.

The "electric parks" were built by the trolley companies as "traffic generators" for the weekends when there were no commuters. The trolley company generated its own electricity, so the electric requirements of the park were more or less free for them. Most urban area electric parks in the US were closed due to rowdyism.

I love that bit of history about the origin of "Electric" parks.

Retroit Guest

My favorite part was the sign that said:

DO NOT
    SOUND
    HORN

honk...honk......honk.........

honk...

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    My Aunt lived on Field Avenue between Charlevoix and Vernor just one block east of East Grand Blvd. The family went through that under Jefferson tunnel on many occassions. Yes, it was a time honored tradition for my dad to sound the horn in defiance of that sign and of course building up the scenario of the possibility of getting caught. Great memory!

Bullet Guest

@ Retroit:
    How could you not sound the horn? We did every time. That sign was one relic from Belle Isle I wish I could have swiped, does anyone know where it is?

My grandparents, like poster kellyroad's aunt, lived on Field, near Grand Blvd. An uncle was "caught" by a police officer when sounding the horn, beneath Jefferson. Got away with a stern warning!

Buy American Guest

My uncle lived on East Grand Blvd within walking distance of the tunnel. You could see the entrance from his front porch. The explanation I always got from my parents and my uncle for the sign "Do Not Honk Horn" was that the tunnel would collapse if a horn sounded....therefore, I was always scared to death that we'd be in there and some person would honk. Does anyone really know the reason why they posted the sign?

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    My uncle lived on East Grand Blvd within walking distance of the tunnel. You could see the entrance from his front porch. The explanation I always got from my parents and my uncle for the sign "Do Not Honk Horn" was that the tunnel would collapse if a horn sounded....therefore, I was always scared to death that we'd be in there and some person would honk. Does anyone really know the reason why they posted the sign?
    My guess is that the west enterance to the under Jefferson tunnel was still in a residential neighborhood. There were many apartments on the east side of the Boulvedard and stately homes on the west side. The tunnel created quite a loud echo that most likely peeved the the nearby residents.

The Dude Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    My guess is that the west enterance to the under Jefferson tunnel was still in a residential neighborhood. There were many apartments on the east side of the Boulvedard and stately homes on the west side. The tunnel created quite a loud echo that most likely peeved the the nearby residents.
    Maybe that's why it's no longer there.

Maybe that's why it's no longer there.
    The East Grand Blvd tunnel was filled in during the 1986 MacArthur Bridge renovation project. I'm not sure how much the horn honking contributed to that decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet View Post
    @ Retroit:
    How could you not sound the horn? We did every time. That sign was one relic from Belle Isle I wish I could have swiped, does anyone know where it is?
    You know you're an east sider when the "Do not sound horn" sign is a relic. Yea, I would like that for my treasure chest also.

The attached photo shows the East Grand Blvd approach to the under Jefferson Avenue tunnel to the Scott MacArthur Bridge. I't too bad that the "Do Not Sound Horn" sign is obstructed by the post with the "Belle Isle" and "Jefferson" sign on it. It was, as you can see, a very scenic portion of the blvd. Picture courtesy of WSU [[circa late 50s/early 60s)

The Belle Isle Tunnel actually went under Belle Isle and into Canada.

[[Sorry, I couldn't resist trying to start a rumor.)

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    The Belle Isle Tunnel actually went under Belle Isle and into Canada.

[[Sorry, I couldn't resist trying to start a rumor.)
    Yes, and it was built about the same time and similar in design as the one going from Grosse Ile to Canada.

DC48080 Guest

Yes, and it was built about the same time and similar in design as the one going from Grosse Ile to Canada.

And don't forget about the tunnel at the foot of Alter road that goes to Peache Island.

My question was misunderstood.I meant that I've seen pictures with amusement parks on both sides of the Belle Isle Bridge on the mainland side.
    kellyroad,what was your aunt's address on Field?My grandparents lived at 2559 Field[[3rd house south of Charlevoix,west side of the street) from 1950 to 1973.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast