Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Marche du Nain Rouge

Did anyone else hear this? It was on Craggy's show just now. There is to be a parade to banish the Nain Rouge, at least for this year. I didn't catch the date, location and time, but it is the 100th anniversary of the last time Detroiters had a ceremony to banish Nain Rouge [[Nanh Rooge).

The revival of La Marche du Nain Rouge begins on Sunday, March 21 at 3 p.m. at the Third Street Bar in Detroit and parades down to Cass Park, where Le Nain Rouge will be banished for 2010. The after party will be held at Detroit’s Temple Bar.
    http://www.lenainrouge.com/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Marche...4917741?v=wall

All I can say is the Temple Bar is more than likely home base for any Nain Rouge around today.

Cool. Will there be little dancing red dwarves?

Ravine Guest

Old bit!! OLD BIT!!

I heard about it today on WDET. Another reason to party on a Sunday. I plan on attending!

MikeinMotown, I happen to know that you don't need a specific reason to drink, Sunday or any other day. Not that I have any room to criticize. Maybe spray paint Nay-nay red and take her along.

Stosh Guest

Apparently the original ceremony didn't work. What made them think that this one will is beyond me. Other than a reason to get smashed, ineffective.

My theory is that the Nain Rouge actually organized the parade/party, to get the lot of them drunk, then letting them loose to wreak havoc on the City. Sneaky dwarf....

Working on the Michepichu theory, any attempt to eject le Nain Rouge is likely to make Daddy Michepichu even madder.

Default Le Nain Rouge on va lui faire sa fête!

What a great idea to bring back this festival, Detroit needs to kick the devil's butt on a regular, annual basis [[at least).

Bonne marche du Nain Rouge les amis! vos frères québécois sont avec vous!

gaz...methinks there should also be a movement started to appease the old man. maybe a recreation of his sacred site on belle isle? there could also be a group dressed as the "priests of the river" as part of the marche.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by detourdetroit View Post
    gaz...methinks there should also be a movement started to appease the old man. maybe a recreation of his sacred site on belle isle? there could also be a group dressed as the "priests of the river" as part of the marche.
    Exactly - trying to ban lil Nain will just bring more misfortune and grief. He thrives on flattery and positive attention!

the same can be said of kwame

I think a cleansing ceremony would be right, maybe on the western end of Belle Isle, since the original monument was meant to calm Michepichu on Lake Erie. See Paging Gazhekwe thread on Connections for info on purification ceremonies. I just now posted an article and comments.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; March-19-10 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    Apparently the original ceremony didn't work. What made them think that this one will is beyond me.

I think the little rascal bought into Detroit's tough image and bolted town. There hasn't been any reliable sightings of him since 1976's ice storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    I think the little rascal bought into Detroit's tough image and bolted town. There hasn't been any reliable sightings of him since 1976's ice storm.
    And what a storm that was!!! I remember it quite well!!

We may join in the festivities tomorrow....

I was there today. It was a great event with a great turn out.

Here's to a return in March 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by HazenPingree View Post
    I was there today. It was a great event with a great turn out.

Here's to a return in March 2011.
    I wanted to make it out but couldn't, hoping to join in next year.

also the namesake to the detroit beer co.'s detroit dwarf beer!

Looking forward to some pictures if anyone can post them. I will scan the press and the official website. I'm happy about the good turnout. I'm sure this event will gain momentum in the future.

It was a GREAT crowd. Lots of wacky costumed people and their kids and dogs. The official Nain Rouge was spotted dancing on top of the building next to the Third Street Saloon and was summoned down, then marched along while taunting the crowd. The marching band was the best! Lots of startled onlookers, too. It was the kind of unique homegrown fun event that makes me proud to be a Detroiter.