Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Taking Charge of Our Story, online conference today

I'm sure this has been mentioned here before, but starting at 9:00 am today:

http://ourdetroitstory.com/

[[copypasta follows)

Taking Charge of Our Story is a special one-day summit for journalists, educators, government officials, business, community and labor leaders to discuss how we can accurately portray Detroit and its history in ways that help us collectively shape the future of a better Detroit. We’ll examine where Detroit has been, where we are and where we intend to go. [[Click AGENDA for a detailed schedule of the day.)
    While attendance at the event is by invitation only, everyone is invited to attend online. We believe no one is in sole charge of defining our community’s story. Not the media. Not the academics. Not the bloggers. We are all jointly responsible. So we hope as many people as possible will get involved and follow the proceedings, adding comments and questions.
    The day will be live blogged on this site and by other bloggers. We’re also working to stream live video of the event as it happens. We’ll announce the details of the day’s coverage right here and on our Twitter page. So stay tuned.
    We see the one-day summit as just the beginning of Taking Charge of Our Story. One product of this event will be a collaborative ebook that will tell some of the untold stories of Detroit. These stories will be identified during the event and the selected stories will be reported and written over the next several months by participants in Taking Charge of Our Story. If you wish to participate in making the book, keep in touch. We will be asking for help in a variety of ways.
    To make sure you’re kept up to date on new developments, just click on CONTACT above to give us your name and email. The information will be used only for updates on Taking Charge of Our Story.

I have no idea what you're talking about, but I caught the word Twitter which leads me to believe you aren't to be taken seriously.

Thanks for bumping.

I still haven't figured out how to view video or audio online, anybody else know?

Facebook is blocked at work.

Its here:

http://www.freep.com/article/2010031...Detroits-story

DETAILED AGENDA: Taking Charge of Our Story
    Registration/Sign In………………………………………8:00–9:00 a.m.
    Continental breakfast served
    Audience seated………………………………………………9:00-9:10 a.m.
    Welcome……………………………………………………………9:10 a.m.
    Shirley Stancato, President & CEO, New Detroit
    William Taubman, Chairman, New Detroit
    Session #1: “Origins of the Urban Crisis”………9:15 a.m.
    Thomas Sugrue, University of Pennsylvania
    A presentation based on his award-winning book followed by a Q&A session [[Questions to be submitted on cards)
    Moderator of the Q&A session: Stephen Henderson, Detroit Free Press
    Session #2: Putting the Myths to Rest…………..10:30 a.m.
    Moderator: David Fike, President, Marygrove College
    A panel discussion on the top 10 myths about Detroit followed by a Q&A session [[Questions to be submitted on cards)
    Panel:
    David Freund, University of Maryland
    Robin Boyle, Wayne State University
    June Manning Thomas, University of Michigan
    Malcolm Dade, Former chief political aide to Mayor Coleman Young
    Lunch Break…………………………………………………12:00 Noon
    From Lascaux to Twitter: A Brief History of Mass Communications……1:00 p.m.
    Kirk Cheyfitz, Story Worldwide
    Session #3: Finding Detroit’s Untold Stories…………………………………………1:15 p.m.
    A wide-ranging discussion in which participants will identify areas of interest in the Detroit region that deserve more reporting.
    Moderators:
    Nichole Christian, TechTown
    Bill Mitchell, The Poynter Institute
    Session #4 Telling Detroit’s Untold Stories ……………2:30 p.m.
    A search, using the “Open Space” approach, for specific stories that need telling. Separate discussion areas will be established for each of the areas of interest identified in the previous session. Participants will vote with their feet, joining whichever discussion group interests them most. The task of each group will be to identify untold stories within each subject area that they want to tell.
    Moderator: David Fike, President, Marygrove College
    Session #5 The Stories We Want To Tell…………………3:30 p.m.
    Each group will report to everyone on the stories they have selected for reporting and telling.
    Moderators:
    Nichole Christian, TechTown
    Bill Mitchell, The Poynter Institute
    Closing remarks…………………………………………………………3:50 p.m.
    Kirk Cheyfitz, Story Worldwide
    Shirley Stancato, President & CEO, New Detroit
    Program Concludes……………………………………………………4:00 p.m.

I wish I could have been there for Sugrue. He always has a profound and well grounded message. I heard him in interview yesterday on Craggy's Detroit Today.

Its very informative so far.

Hmm

Sugrue does not mention crime, brutality and racially motivated crime in his list of reasons for urban disinvestment. Perhaps he feels that this is just a response to the disadvantages caused by the other problems he listed?

My experience is that societal failure as experienced through crime is the top reason for people leaving urban areas. He is not stating the key reason people do not live in urban areas. Why?

I guess the premise is that they are discussing what government can do [[and has done) about problems in Detroit, so that may be why there is less of a focus on social problems.

Its pretty hard to discuss Detroit problems without acknowledging crime, but apparently at an academic level they are getting away with it.