Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Ever feel like a moron?

I sure do.

Last Friday I ripped apart my main computer as I planned on emptying the den of furniture to allow me to rip out the old carpet and replace it with laminate flooring [[that part came out beautiful, anyway). To keep me connected with the world, I took my laptop into the kitchen and left the router connected in the den.

Well, the first time I booted up the laptop, I couldn't get my wireless internet connection. Tried everything; no luck. Screw it. No internet for nearly a week.

Yesterday my son came over to help me move the furniture back into the den and I told him about the laptop problem. He walked over, booted it up, rubbed his chin for five seconds, and then pushed the F2 key. Powie. Internet connected.

I had somehow pushed that damn key, which also shows a logo of an antenna and radio waves on it. Didn't even know it existed.

Dah.

Guess it toggles the internal wireless adapter/radio on/off. Oh well. Mine has a different button for that, not F2.

Mine netbook has a special little internet button at the top of the Keyboard. It has a little picture on it that looks like those radio tower cartoons with waves coming out. I would never have thought of F2. Good to know that trick..

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Mine netbook has a special little internet button at the top of the Keyboard. It has a little picture on it that looks like those radio tower cartoons with waves coming out. I would never have thought of F2. Good to know that trick..
    This is computer dependent. F2 may not work on your computer. It is usually a special key shifted function, it is not the straight F2 button. Some laptops have a dedicated key, some have it combined on another key.

This could be a funny thread if we all shared. Mine might top Ray's.

I needed to clear the driveway of snow last winter. This process is still a bit new to me, coming from Phoenix. I tried to start the snowblower. I carefully turned on the choke, plugged it in [[electric start), primed it, pushed the start button. It tried to start but just wouldn't ignite. I tried it several times with no results. I knew it had gas. Flustered and busy with other chores, I left it alone for a while in case I had flooded it. When I came back I noticed it had a key. It was in the OFF position! Doh!

RTFM!

Sink plugged up. Unscrewed gooseneck trap. Carefully picked it up and....poured it in the sink...............

I don't recall the details but I had a similar keyboard problem. There was one key in an awkward position that I was always hitting by accident. I found a small plastic box that fit over just that one key and prevented it from being pressed. In the rare event that I needed that key, I just removed the box. Another option might be to remove the key itself but it might get lost.

Just yesterday I discovered the Enter key from my old TRS-80. It was the only white key on the keyboard because home computers were so new then that many newbies needed to have the importance of this key emphasized. Other computers called it the carriage return key, a holdover from [[tele)typewriters. Old Univac terminals used a red "transmit" key for the same reason.

True tales from a keyboard warrior.

Yes, everyday.
    Wait...Ray was just taking a survey, wasn't he?

Ravine Guest

Ray, take heart from this reminder:

You know, as well as any of us know, that genuine morons never, ever feel like morons.

Good point, I guess. At least when cutting the laminite boards I remembered the old adage, "Measure once, cut twice."

Wait....that wasn't how it goes......um.............

every morning when I get up to go to my miserable job...pays decent but coulda shoulda done much better...had fun getting to this point but it would be nice to look forward to going into work...as for the computer Ray there are lots of little tricks and gadgets to learn about..