Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Michigan Meatout day?

Just goes to show you what an idiot Jenny is. I plan to get some nice fat Pork Ribs!

http://www.freep.com/article/2010031...ers-have-a-cow

gravitymachine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by unclefrank View Post
    I plan to get some nice fat Pork Ribs!
    you go girl!

Damn, no road kill dinner on Saturday night!

Does the freep know that dairy farmers don't sell meat? I know the proclamation mentions dairy in passing, but the headline still doesn't make sense.

Also, can't people be more creative with their indignation? I'm sure we Democrats have more ominous plans to take over your lives, people.

I'm a vegetarian, so while I don't have a problem with the idea of this whole ado, I can't help but feel that we have more pressing matters for our elected officials to attend to.

Sounds to me like everyone has forgotten the glory days when John Engler hosted Michigan Bean Day; all across the Capitol grounds bean farmers set up their tables and featured their wares: bean pie, bean souffle, bean cassarole, bean salad, beans in a blanket, bean fritters ....

It raised a stink.

could our michigan governor be any more stupid?? why not declare a "no car day" or maybe a "no amway day".....

Quote Originally Posted by cloud_wall View Post
    I'm sure we Democrats have more ominous plans to take over your lives, people.
    It's the information age. With the internet available at a mouse click everyone can be personally offended within seconds. No more waiting hours, even days for someone to say something to have you in a rage. Now you can have 24/7 rage at your fingertips. I agree with buildingsofdetroit, the Gov has more important things to worry about. Nonetheless, I have more important things to be upset about. This whole thing is much ado about nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Sounds to me like everyone has forgotten the glory days when John Engler hosted Michigan Bean Day; all across the Capitol grounds bean farmers set up their tables and featured their wares: bean pie, bean souffle, bean cassarole, bean salad, beans in a blanket, bean fritters ....

It raised a stink.
    Sounds like a "GAS", sorry couldnt resist.....

I may be in the minority here, but I actually think this is a good idea. One this could help to promote healthy eating habits here in one of the most out of shape states. Secondly this could help Michigan solve one it's major problems, here's how:

Michigan's biggest problem is that it was too dependent on one industry for too long, the auto industry, While I realize farmers may make most of their profits off meat, this is a great chance to promote other agricultural products in this state.

I may be stupid, but the only fruits I know Michigan is famous for is cherries and apples.[[ I know cranberries, but only from the ocean spray commercials ) Here is a chance to market other fruits, vegetables, and grains Michigan can become famous for !

So let's hold off on the Granholm jokes and insults and embrace this opportunity. For the NCAA tournament games, I'll be eating a cheese hot n' ready !

By the way I am all for a "no amway day !!"

showsstoppa,

in each of these catagories we are in the top 5 in production

apples,
    beans [[we grow something like 40 different kinds of beans),
    sugar beets,
    blueberries,
    cherries,
    pumpkins

but not cranberries. no cranberries. never had them, never will.

Why doesn't she have a no union day?

Quote Originally Posted by unclefrank View Post
    Just goes to show you what an idiot Jenny is. I plan to get some nice fat Pork Ribs!

http://www.freep.com/article/2010031...ers-have-a-cow
    Yeah! Go clog up your arteries some more. That'll show her.

DetroitPole Guest

Saturday? Should have had it on Friday when about 30% of the state isn't eating meat anyway.
    Although I doubt the Calvinists that run the west side of the state with an iron fist would take too kindly to endorsing Papism.

Why do Granholm's detractors call her Jenny while Engler's detractors don't call him Johnny?

"Why do Granholm's detractors call her Jenny while Engler's detractors don't call him Johnny?"

I just call her JennyEngler. They've both been horrific for our State. Combined with the inept State Congress that cannot seem to move past petty partisan grudges and outdated ideologies [[facilitated by Mega Tool Mike Bishop), the people of this State continue to get screwed.

On Topic: This is much to do about nothing. One day of not eating meat, just like one day of not buying gas, ain't gonna do diddly shit about anything except waste those chucked ions on the screen.
    Last edited by Baselinepunk; March-17-10 at 07:29 AM.

Michigan is among the top ten potato producers in the US.

We do produce cranberries, one of three native fruits. The other two are blueberries and grapes. There is also a bush fruit we always called highbush cranberries. I think it is a species of viburnum.

This meatout is such a stupid idea. The proclamation is so full of misinformation and half-truths:

Reducing the consumption of meat or not eating meat at all can significantly decrease the exposure to infectious pathogens such as salmonella, E. coli, and campylobacter, which take the lives of several thousand Americans and sicken millions more each year
    That's why we cook meat. What about all those E. coli outbreaks in the spinach and jalapenos over the past year or so? Grain and vegetables can harbor insects and unless you're purchasing expensive organic ingredients, it's likely genetically-modified or loaded with pesticides.

The benefits of a plant-based diet can consist of increased energy levels, lower food budget costs, and simplified food preparation and cleanup
    Emphasis mine. It "CAN" do those things, but so can meals with meat. If you cherry-pick your ingredients and cooking methods, sure you can make it easier.

...get into the habit of healthy living by consuming a diet that is rich with vegetables, fruit, and whole grains, and by staying active
    again, emphasis mine...

No meat.....thats fine. More chips and beer with the game!

I will be out of state in florida,
    can I still go meatless, might have some fresh seafood.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Yeah! Go clog up your arteries some more. That'll show her.
    On a long enough scale, everything is bad for you. Everything.

well, not hugs.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    Saturday? Should have had it on Friday when about 30% of the state isn't eating meat anyway.
    No kidding, and she's Catholic too. I'll stick with my Friday lenten observance myself thank you.
    Last edited by jackie5275; March-17-10 at 09:41 AM. Reason: add content

Is she Catholic? That's extremely unusual for a Swede.
    Last edited by texorama; March-17-10 at 09:48 AM. Reason: added content

I think a "No-High-Fructose-Corn-Syrup" Day would make us much healthier.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast