Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Saab to locate North American HQ in Royal Oak

Didn't see this previously posted.
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...glUNQD9EFR32G1
    Last edited by MoparDan; March-16-10 at 12:57 PM.

As a Royal Oak resident, I am sooo excited! What a boost for this city.

Don't they know that Michigan is a horrible place to locate a business? High taxes, unfriendly to business, labor unions!! What are they thinking locating a business here?!?! Why, why, that's just ...

*head explodes*

Anyone know where exactly in R.O. their facility will be?

How dare L. Brooks poach Saab from downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodeme View Post
    4327 Delemere Court, near Coolidge Hwy and Normandy.

Last plan/tax abatement request[[October 2009) was 4327 Delemere Court-
    That's in the Industrial Park by the RR line,
    North of Normandy [[13 1/2 Mile) between Crooks and Coolidge,
    about a mile East of Woodward.
    At that time, they estimated maybe 50 employees.

I know the building, until 2004, my office was at 4300 Delemere Ct.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    How dare L. Brooks poach Saab from downtown.
    I asked the question on the LBP thread on whether he tried to encourage them to stay downtown... In the spirit of regionalism and all.

Ah, around English Gardens/Meijer area. Pretty dank location for a North American headquarters, but hey, it's investment and 60 jobs.

Ah, around English Gardens/Meijer area. Pretty dank location for a North American headquarters, but hey, it's investment and 60 jobs.
    Not 60 new jobs. Just 60 that already exist in Detroit being shifted to Royal Oak.

Yeah that's why I didn't say new. I'm from Royal Oak, so it's nice to see a little investment, not that I like the fact that the jobs are coming from Detroit. If it has to happen, I'd rather see the jobs go from suburb to suburb, not from city to suburb.

On the news they said it will be 60 jobs "over the next 4-5 years". Also it was reported a few months ago that Saab's automotive prospects were extremely shaky. At the time GM was having a terrible time unloading it. Hopefully they can stay afloat but I would not bet money on it.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxDetroit View Post
    On the news they said it will be 60 jobs "over the next 4-5 years". Also it was reported a few months ago that Saab's automotive prospects were extremely shaky. At the time GM was having a terrible time unloading it. Hopefully they can stay afloat but I would not bet money on it.

Saab, that's what you do when you have 30,000 miles on one.

They were a great car with the old two stroke engine. They were virtually indestructible. Then the clean air types demanded they go to four stroke and they went down hill badly.

Toolbox Guest

So you people get all happy and want to jerk off over a foreign auto company moving it's NA HQ to Royal Oak but tear Toyota the shreads for being a foreign auto company.

Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Toolbox View Post
    So you people get all happy and want to jerk off over a foreign auto company moving it's NA HQ to Royal Oak but tear Toyota the shreads for being a foreign auto company.

Interesting.
    I think it would be awesome if Toyota, Honda, or Subaru had their North American HQ in Michigan or the Detroit area.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    I think it would be awesome if Toyota, Honda, or Subaru had their North American HQ in Michigan or the Detroit area.
    ....or Volkswagen....oh wait...they were here.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I asked the question on the LBP thread on whether he tried to encourage them to stay downtown... In the spirit of regionalism and all.
    Quit acting like you have some sort of moral high ground on the issue of regionalism.

As far as people like you are concerned, companies that relocate to different parts of the region should be moving in one direction only. The exact mirror image of Brooks.

On the other hand, if you were merely trying to point out that Brooks is just as full of bologna as you are, then I apologize.

Strange step. They left the GM umbrella and Saab is now a Dutch, I repeat, a Dutch company. The deal with Spyker is through.