Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How does the winter of 2009-10 rank for snow & temps?

I left Detroit on 9 Jan for Vietnam. Curious how the winter of '09-10 stacks up to the average of around 40 inches of snow per winter. What is a good website for looking up locale climatic data? Is weather info gathered at DTW the official site for Detroit weather reports?

Is the total preciptation for SE Mich this winter above or below average? How about temps this winter?

Oh, on Valentine's Day it was 95F in Saigon. This is the dry season in SE Asia. It has rained only once since I arrived here in mid Jan.

Anyone have any photos of Detroit in winnter witn frozen rut lined streets that I remember from the early 1980s and from the blizzards of Jan 1999. I would like to show such images to my Viet friends here.

Meddle, that Outlook document is great. I loved this part:

The CPC Official Seasonal Outlook for the region is calling for Equal Chances for Above, Below or Normal Temperatures and Precipitation this spring.

Weather or not, as usual. I was in northern FL in February, and it was reported to be the longest winter in over 50 years. Loquats were still green when I left on March 5, while last year, I got two pies worth and they were getting overripe by the end of February.

I see by the Outlook that February here in the D tried to make up for the season shortfall of snow, so glad I was not here!

Default Winter Pictures

Attachment 5510

Attachment 5511

A couple of pictures of the Georgia Street Garden covered in snow. It's all gone now!

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Meddle, that Outlook document is great. I loved this part:

The CPC Official Seasonal Outlook for the region is calling for Equal Chances for Above, Below or Normal Temperatures and Precipitation this spring.

Weather or not, as usual. I was in northern FL in February, and it was reported to be the longest winter in over 50 years. Loquats were still green when I left on March 5, while last year, I got two pies worth and they were getting overripe by the end of February.

I see by the Outlook that February here in the D tried to make up for the season shortfall of snow, so glad I was not here!
    I think February was brutal everywhere.

Al Publican: How about some pics of Vietnam? My niece is visiting Cambodia & Vietnam this month.
    95 degrees on Valentine's Day sound good, if the humidity was not high...

It all balanced out here.

What really made Detroti's winter itneresting is 2009-2010 featured the strongest greenland block in history. While normally this would bring us several cold air, it was all dispalced into Europe [[they also had a record cold/snowy winter). In addition, the blocks prevent many storms from cutting due north out of the desert SW or Gulf Coast into the Great Lakes. In addition to the El-Nino's active subtropical jet [[thus the lack of Clipper Systems), this kept majority of the winter storms along a track from Oklahoma City to Nashville/Atlanta to Raleigh-Durham to Washington D.C./Philadelphia.

There was also another track that was relatively prominent back in December, where the storms would cut due north into the Upper Midwest out of the Gulf Coast. This was caused by a very brief relaxation in the Greenland Block. This is what also brought us our warm/rainy December [[including Christmas Day). However, the Block quickly rejuvenated itself [[you could tell by all the green grass we saw for a while) bringing us some bitterly cold air in Janaury, but nothing severe as the cross-polar siberian flow set up east of here and forced all the cold air into Europe. Coming off the severely cold/snowy winter of 2007/2008 and 2008/2009 [[and record cold summer of 2009), the winter of 2009/2010 was virtually just a shot of reality.

What really balanced out everything for us was a snowy/average cold February. The city of Detroit didn't receive it's first winter storm headline [[i appers we're only going to get 2 for the season) until February, which is pretty late. It was also the last major city north of I-80 to receive one. Of course with our two winter storms, we receveid 6" from each respectively. Then we received several light snow events throughout the month which gradually added up. That was just enough to bring our season total to 43.7" [[after less than 30" by Janauary's end). Although the absolute average is 44", I'm not really worried about that because even if we didn't see the additional .4", you could always round the 43.7" and get 44". Pure liquid preciptiation-wise, let's just say this was a season for powdery snow, as our liquid precipitation amounts were still below average.

For tempatures, those really averaged out too. What offset our "bitterly cold" Janaury wa shte excessive amount of overcast nights which prevented us from reaching our averagenightly lows. So that averaged out with our below-average daytime highs [[in addition, the brief thaw we had toward shte end ofhte month also helped) and Janaury generally had an average emeprature departure. December was of course above average and February was average.

For March, it appears we may very well end the month above average temeprature-wise [[we've been seeing temperatures in the 50s and 60s while the average high is 43*F). One thing to watch [[which would impact our temeprature departure) is the potential for a cool down next week. In terms of snowfall, it could very well be one of our least snowiest March's in history. I don't believe we've even measrued .1" at MEtro Ariport [[average is 7") yet with the month halfway over, there's no threat of appreciable snowfall in the near future. But jsut to keep in mind, Detroit usually sees its biggest winter storms in March & April.

Ironically Oklahoma City experienced their biggest snowstorm on record [[14.1" on Christmas Eve with Blizzard WArninhgs for 50 MPH wind gusts) and one of thir snowiest seasons on record Plus Wasihington D.C. experienced their 2nd biggest snowstorm n record and D.C./Baltimore/Philadelphia all experienced their snowiest witners on record.

Also, this was the first winter in decades all 50 U.S. states had a relatively deep snowpack at once.

Just one more FYI, Toronto and Northern Michigan are well on their way to receiving their least snowiest winter on record. I should point out there was also a lack of pure lake-effect snow [[over half of Northern Michigan's snow is courtesy of lake-effect), attributed to the before-mentioned greenland block [[dry air) and lack of severely cold air over the warm lake waters.
    Last edited by 313WX; March-15-10 at 11:37 AM.

Detroit did have some good measurable snowfall from December to February. While others on the South get extreme cold temperatures, The western states got record rainfall and the Northeast received record Blizzard-like snowfall. This is due to El Nino that pushed the sub tropical jet stream futher south, causing the low pressure system to follow it and multiply. This phenomenal weather pattern could be caused by Global Warming which it is here combining wit the close planetary aligments of the Solar System. It would bring forth the Mayan 2012 purification era where the Earth will take a cosmic bath and everyone will suffer its path. The Earth will not die, some species and fewer human beings will. Life will go on, its Earth's way to clean up the sins of mankind for their pollution.

When the 2012 purification era[[ The End of Kat'un) begins, it will be slow. Later it start to speed up causing enviromental damage. The sky will be opened, The Earth will quake, most volcanoes will blow its tops pouring plumes of smoke and poisonous gases into the air. There will be plagues, famines and all world nations and its governments will be game. Many plants and aminals will die. Over 4 billion people will die in its path. After the purification era is over, life will go on fewer plants and animals will survive, fewer humas will survive but will lose everything in site including their loved ones and families.

The Mayans did not give the time or the hour when the comsic conflict begin. But December 23, 2012 will mark the start of cleasing that will last millions of years.

EastSider Guest

Here's more from intellicast about this past winter that includes some graphics from this past summer's weather.

http://www.intellicast.com/Community/Content.aspx?a=223

March is not showing any signs of cooling off... But there may be a cold spot early next week after this weekend rain storm. But that cold spot won't last long for by then, March is almost over and the month of March marks the biggest change of any month. Spring is in the air!

Today - 47°/33° [[Sprinkles)
    Tuesday - 57°/34° [[Partly Cloudy)
    Wednesday - 58°/36° [[Sunny)
    Thursday - 57°/42° [[Partly Cloudy)
    Friday - 61°/47° [[Cloudy)
    Saturday - 54°/40° [[Showers)
    Sunday - 46°/31° [[Showers)
    Monday - 39°/36° [[Partly Cloudy)
    Tuesday - 48°/41° [[Mostly Cloudy)
    Wednesday - 48°/37° [[Showers)

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    It all balanced out here.

What really made Detroti's winter itneresting is 2009-2010 featured the strongest greenland block in history. While normally this would bring us several cold air, it was all dispalced into Europe [[they also had a record cold/snowy winter). In addition, the blocks prevent many storms from cutting due north out of the desert SW or Gulf Coast into the Great Lakes. In addition to the El-Nino's active subtropical jet [[thus the lack of Clipper Systems), this kept majority of the winter storms along a track from Oklahoma City to Nashville/Atlanta to Raleigh-Durham to Washington D.C./Philadelphia.

There was also another track that was relatively prominent back in December, where the storms would cut due north into the Upper Midwest out of the Gulf Coast. This was caused by a very brief relaxation in the Greenland Block. This is what also brought us our warm/rainy December [[including Christmas Day). However, the Block quickly rejuvenated itself [[you could tell by all the green grass we saw for a while) bringing us some bitterly cold air in Janaury, but nothing severe as the cross-polar siberian flow set up east of here and forced all the cold air into Europe. Coming off the severely cold/snowy winter of 2007/2008 and 2008/2009 [[and record cold summer of 2009), the winter of 2009/2010 was virtually just a shot of reality.

What really balanced out everything for us was a snowy/average cold February. The city of Detroit didn't receive it's first winter storm headline [[i appers we're only going to get 2 for the season) until February, which is pretty late. It was also the last major city north of I-80 to receive one. Of course with our two winter storms, we receveid 6" from each respectively. Then we received several light snow events throughout the month which gradually added up. That was just enough to bring our season total to 43.7" [[after less than 30" by Janauary's end). Although the absolute average is 44", I'm not really worried about that because even if we didn't see the additional .4", you could always round the 43.7" and get 44". Pure liquid preciptiation-wise, let's just say this was a season for powdery snow, as our liquid precipitation amounts were still below average.

For tempatures, those really averaged out too. What offset our "bitterly cold" Janaury wa shte excessive amount of overcast nights which prevented us from reaching our averagenightly lows. So that averaged out with our below-average daytime highs [[in addition, the brief thaw we had toward shte end ofhte month also helped) and Janaury generally had an average emeprature departure. December was of course above average and February was average.

For March, it appears we may very well end the month above average temeprature-wise [[we've been seeing temperatures in the 50s and 60s while the average high is 43*F). One thing to watch [[which would impact our temeprature departure) is the potential for a cool down next week. In terms of snowfall, it could very well be one of our least snowiest March's in history. I don't believe we've even measrued .1" at MEtro Ariport [[average is 7") yet with the month halfway over, there's no threat of appreciable snowfall in the near future. But jsut to keep in mind, Detroit usually sees its biggest winter storms in March & April.

Ironically Oklahoma City experienced their biggest snowstorm on record [[14.1" on Christmas Eve with Blizzard WArninhgs for 50 MPH wind gusts) and one of thir snowiest seasons on record Plus Wasihington D.C. experienced their 2nd biggest snowstorm n record and D.C./Baltimore/Philadelphia all experienced their snowiest witners on record.

Also, this was the first winter in decades all 50 U.S. states had a relatively deep snowpack at once.

Just one more FYI, Toronto and Northern Michigan are well on their way to receiving their least snowiest winter on record. I should point out there was also a lack of pure lake-effect snow [[over half of Northern Michigan's snow is courtesy of lake-effect), attributed to the before-mentioned greenland block [[dry air) and lack of severely cold air over the warm lake waters.
    LOL. These name changes sure do throw me off sometimes...

WX is radio talk for weather, so no surprise there.Did it really snow in all 50 states? Hawaii included?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    WX is radio talk for weather, so no surprise there.Did it really snow in all 50 states? Hawaii included?
    313WX are you married??? Just kidding.

I loved reading your post. Would you happen to know if total precip for this winter would have been normal or above? I heard there was quite a bit of rain here at Christmas [[I was in Alabama), and recently we had significant rainfall. Would you know if the total rain/snow precip figure was normal?

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    313WX are you married??? Just kidding.

I loved reading your post. Would you happen to know if total precip for this winter would have been normal or above? I heard there was quite a bit of rain here at Christmas [[I was in Alabama), and recently we had significant rainfall. Would you know if the total rain/snow precip figure was normal?
    For El-Ninos [[especially when they're moderate to strong, like what we had this past winter), it's always best to forecast below average snowfall and above average temperatures in the midwest, while it's best to forecast above average snowfall and below average temperatures along the east coast/gulf coast. However, this wasn't a typical nino thanks to the significant Greenland Block in place [[troughing over the eastern US). To see those 3 major blizzards cut northward into the Western Great Lakes/Upper Midwest earlier this season was pretty unusual.

As for the recent rainfall, they were just your typical spring showers as most areas picked up around a 1/2 inch of precipitation. And I'm no exactly sure how much rain we picked up on Christmas, but we definitely received a fair amount, as it was definitely pouring.

The total snowfall for this season is right around normal [[we've received 43.7" thus far and the average is 44" at Metro Airport). Surprisingly, Saginaw & Flint also had average seasons. Normally you would see north to south gradients in the snowfall [[Saginaw picking up the most, Detroit picking up the least, or vice-versa). The liquid equivalent is still about 1.5" below normal.
    Last edited by 313WX; March-15-10 at 01:49 PM.

Not that I know of.

I meant the entire lower 48 [[and of course Alaska).

Did it really snow in all 50 states? Hawaii included?
    Yes, all 50.

There is some discrepancy about that. Hawaii does get snow in the higher elevations of the Volcanoes, but at the time that statement was made [[snow on the ground in all 50 states at the same time) there was no snow found on satellite pictures of Hawaii.

Here is the Feb. 13, 2010 NOAA Snow Depth map showing some snow on the ground in all of the lower 48 states.

The 30-year averages [[everywhere) will be updated this summer. Our current numbers date back to 1980.

So that snowfall average of 44" may be changing for Detroit.

The season of mud is about to arrive. Give me more winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    No, thanks. Just saw some green grass this morning. Bring on Spring.

With the exception of that little bit of snow we had in February, it was a pretty mild winter.

Yet, still, people gripe.

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    No. We're well overdue for a blow-torch summer [[I mean serious heatwaves) and a widepsread severe weather outbreak.

Thanks for all the responses. So far, there are no ice skating rinks in Saigon, as there are in Bangkok. But there are KFCs. I prefer to eat a place called Phuc Dat. No beau coup bullshit, if Imay invoke some Americaese from 1968.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast