Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Any buzz about living in the Kean Apartments on Jefferson?

I am considering returning to Detroit for the summer to be closer to relatives in need. I lived in the gold coast at the River Terrace thirty years ago and have always admired the Kean.

The Kean has seen better days...I'd suggest the Jeffersonian, renting a unit at Indian Village Manor [[condo bldg but also rents) or the Garden Court, looking into a bargain unit for sale at the River House or checking out Midtown. I had a number of friends who lived in the Kean 30 years ago and I was shocked at the condition when I looked at the building out of curiosity more than interest about a year and a half ago---a major rehab is more than in order to bring the place back to what it was in the 70's. Ditto for the Hibbard.

Too bad to hear about the Kean going down hill. It remains such a beautiful landmark. Is the tenant quality still very good? As I recall it was expensive to live there so the transient style renter was not who they were attracting... I will take a close look at the building the next time I go by there.
    Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    The Kean has seen better days...I'd suggest the Jeffersonian, renting a unit at Indian Village Manor [[condo bldg but also rents) or the Garden Court, looking into a bargain unit for sale at the River House or checking out Midtown. I had a number of friends who lived in the Kean 30 years ago and I was shocked at the condition when I looked at the building out of curiosity more than interest about a year and a half ago---a major rehab is more than in order to bring the place back to what it was in the 70's. Ditto for the Hibbard.

Hi Dave: I am moving back to Detroit from Ann Arbor this year and am seriously considering the Millender Center. It has the best reviews that I've read thus far and seems to be reasonable for what you get. Also having the riverfront and Windsor skyline a five minute walk from the front door is appealing.

I'm also considering lofts in Midtown, but everyone wants $1200-$1600, which is simply ridiculous. For that amount, I'd rather hold a mortgage.

Everyone I've talked to that lived/lives at the Parkstone has had good things to say about it.

Have to second the Parkstone. Solid. Refined and the apartments are huge. The parking situation can be problematic as there aren't enough spaces for the residents and what do exist are tight, but if you're not driving a hummer or '79 Cadillac Brougham you should be fine. I know there is a parking garage on the next block but don't have any info on it.

http://keithkeveney.tripod.com/features.htm

I don't know this guy, but ...

Wow-weee! I was just loving those floor plans... the extra deep window sills and the wood work. You'll never find that in these modern high rises that always feel "hotel" like to me. And I just don't like that Vanderow [[sp?) window to floor scene. Nice!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Have to second the Parkstone. Solid. Refined and the apartments are huge. The parking situation can be problematic as there aren't enough spaces for the residents and what do exist are tight, but if you're not driving a hummer or '79 Cadillac Brougham you should be fine. I know there is a parking garage on the next block but don't have any info on it.

http://keithkeveney.tripod.com/features.htm

I don't know this guy, but ...

I checked out the Parkstone maybe 10 years ago when I was first looking to live on my own. I think the pricing, the distance from the Woodward corridor, and the parking were what deterred me back then.

I do agree that they are very, very beautiful. Indian Village used to have [[or still has?) a couple great restaurants/jazz venues and a coffee shop/creperie [[or am I dreaming this up?). I seem to remember going to lunch and poetry readings in the area something like 12-15 years ago, but back then I didn't have a car and my sense of direction is never the greatest east of Woodward [[Westsider here). I've had friends who have lived over there. Something about that area back then reminded me of my travels to Paris.
    Last edited by English; March-14-10 at 07:27 PM.

Hah! I bet the rent there is high! I sorta dig that part of EEV, Ijust don't care fro much that is around that area... equally there are some diamonds tucked away on the west side, then you walk a few blocks and well arghh!
    Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    I checked out the Parkstone maybe 10 years ago when I was first looking to live on my own. I think the pricing, the distance from the Woodward corridor, and the parking were what deterred me back then.

I do agree that they are very, very beautiful. Indian Village used to have [[or still has?) a couple great restaurants/jazz venues and a coffee shop/creperie [[or am I dreaming this up?). I seem to remember going to lunch and poetry readings in the area something like 12-15 years ago, but back then I didn't have a car and my sense of direction is never the greatest east of Woodward [[Westsider here). I've had friends who have lived over there. Something about that area back then reminded me of my travels to Paris.

OMG the Kean is sumptuous! I need to get some lottery tickets...what's the address? I'll play those numbers. :-)

Yeah, I don't even like the idea of living in an apartment, but these are beautiful...
    Quote Originally Posted by kathy2trips View Post
    OMG the Kean is sumptuous! I need to get some lottery tickets...what's the address? I'll play those numbers. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post

A friend just moved out of the Parkstone after 9 years in an 8th flr. corner 2 bedroom apartment with a fireplace. She was paying about $1,000 month plus $30-$40 ea.month for 6 months out of the year for Winter heating. The fee for the parking garages [[2) was about $25 mth. She really loved living there and the residents and staff very friendly. A security guard is on duty most of the time. Problem was the management that did not respond effectively about issues with a neighbors' loud music late at night. One bedrooms are about $800 and she heard that the rents were going down because of increased vacancies. There are laundry machines but most did not work. There was a very expensive jazz club/restaurant in the building and a bakery/deli in the next building but both are closed now. The nearest one is Big Boys at Jefferson and Grand Blvd. There was one bar in the area - Honest?Johns - but he moved to the Selden and Cass area several years ago. There are several party stores around but for serious groceries you'll have to go a few blocks east on Jefferson to the Village Market or to Grosse Point. It is a very beautiful and historic area but, unfortunately, surrounded by less esthetic neighborhoods. Belle Isle is the very best thing about living in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by BRAZZMAN View Post
    There was a very expensive jazz club/restaurant in the building and a bakery/deli in the next building but both are closed now.
    Thanks so much for the confirmation! I've visited both. I do believe there was a poetry reading at the club, or somewhere close by in IV. And did that bakery sell crepes? I could've sworn that it was the first time I'd had one...

The Keane, a Charles N. Agree design [[as is the Whittier) has a lot of charm on the outside. I was never inside, but I was told that the "+" shaped building had only 4 apartments on each floor... one in each wing, and therefore having window views on 3 sides. Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    The Keane, a Charles N. Agree design [[as is the Whittier) has a lot of charm on the outside. I was never inside, but I was told that the "+" shaped building had only 4 apartments on each floor... one in each wing, and therefore having window views on 3 sides. Is that correct?
    Thanks for bringing our attention its distinctive "footprint", the "+" most notably used for Catholic churches built pre-Vatican II. An aerial map check of the Keane, confirms its cross-shape. But, I counted 14 floors, so I'm not sure about the floor plan configurations. However, having those 270 degree views would be a major plus, particularly for extreme river-lovers like myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    You are correct. The larger, 2 bedroom apartments, are in the east and west wings. The north and south wings contain the 1 bedroom units, all apartments having 3 exposures.

The second picture is of one of the 4 roof terraces which opened off of the tower which was a large, vaulted communal room.

The pictures are from my files. The roof was in some Detroit Magazine, probably ~25 years ago. The plans are from an original rental ad.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

bartock Guest

Over the past year or so, the Kean and the apartment building next door have been doing some work on the sidewalk in front of Jefferson. Can't tell if it is for handicap accessibility, aesthetic, to separate the foot traffic on Jefferson with those entering the apartments, or all of the above.

The Parkstone is a great choice; it is very affordable compared to midtown, very well managed and in a nice walkable neighborhood. New businesses moving into the area combined with upcoming riverwalk/greenway improvements make this a pretty safe choice. Check out the www.thevillagesofdetroit.com for more info on the area.