Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Just read the 1978 book "The Secret Life of Henry Ford" by John Dahlinger. He is the alleged son of Henry Ford. He got real good treatment form they guy who looked like his grandfather, while his 30 years older half brother Edsel, got tough love.

I guess this is where someone coined the phrase "lucky bastard"

I was curious of the house on the Rouge. I got there last Sunday morning very early for a look. Very warm, humid and a lot of misquiotos It is very overgrow all around the house. I couldn't get within 20 ft of it. It is a protective moat of foilage, or the vandals may have at it.

Still has the beautiful, thick slate roof and massive timber construction. Outside shell looks very intact. What ever I could see over the brush.

I couldn't get to the waters edge on the Rouge...weeds were too high.

I wonder who brought in all the old and even recent lawn tractors? What junk.

Would be neat if someone saved it. Probably would cost 50K or so just to clean it up.

I wonder how loaded up with stuff is it on the inside. Or is there any water damage from leaks.
    I'm sure the power and heat haven't been on in decades.

I also saw the little community club house too [[former horse barn) It is a little shabby, but some vandals recently broke a number of windows around it. Most likely too young [[and foolish) to appreciate history.

But Ford sure can build it nice [[with his unlimited income). It is something to ponder on how much time Ford spent at this place... how he would take off on the Callie B electric boat. Or did he have his own electric boat for the quite ride on the Rouge. Would be really disrespectful to use her boat.

I'm glad this was brought back up....it is verrryy interesting!

Stromberg2

Well since the last post on this topic, we now have the death of John Cote Dahlinger Jr. from almost two years ago now - http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz3ifJm2dap

Although I don't think that article states it, it was later discovered that he claimed he couldn't pay a prostitute and her pimp killed him.

Default More on the Cote family-

And to add to all of this, Evangeline's brother was John Lafayette Cote. He married Mildred Gray [[who?)- Edward Gray's daughter, Ford's chief engineer from Highland Park days [[1909-1914) and later founder of 'Grayhaven'. Move down one more generation- John and Mildred [[Gray) Cote had a daughter Sally who married Warren Packard III- and so it goes in the 'Motor City'!
    Last edited by xdet; August-14-15 at 09:27 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5