Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Protest at Bing's Campaign Office @ 3:00

DETROIT - A protest is being held in front of Dave Bing's campaign office at 3:00 PM today! Come out and support the right of Detroiters to know who and what they're voting for!

Dave Bing announced that he has assembled a secret group to help him plan the takeover of the City of Detroit if he is elected. When pressed by the Detroit Free Press to reveal names of members of this secret group, Dave Bing refused to do so. Dave Bing would not reveal the names, where they live, what their roles would be or other potential conflicts of interest.

This is a secret team that comes from where Bing comes from -- a world where wealthy businessmen put profits before worker safety, where cutting deals with Republicans is a daily occurrence and where dealing with Detroit consists of zipping in on a freeway, grabbing what you want, and zipping back to the suburbs.

The lack of information from Dave Bing is an affront to Detroit voters who wish to make an informed decision when they go to the polls.

Please Join us as at Dave Bing's Campaign Office Located at 2660 East Jefferson [[at Chene) Detroit, MI Today at 3:00 PM [[map)

For any questions please call [[313) 354-1515

Thanks for the 56 minute advanced notice!

LodgeDodger Guest

Why protest? Just vote for the other guy.

Angry Dad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    Why protest? Just vote for the other guy.
    There you go again....making sense

Paranoia?? Sounds like lynch mob mentality.

Well Izzyindetroit thanks for the heads up on the "secret agenda" that Bing has for Detroit....

He's likely going to sell off the city's jewels and line his friend's and family's pocket with city contracts, and lots and lots of money from fake foundations....

.... no wait... my bad... that was the Kilpatrick's!!

I remember the last time that of these smart Detroiters worried about "hidden agendas" [[even before the "hidden agenda" of Hendrix's election campaign being a sellout to the suburbs because he wasn't black enough)... that was when Mayor Archer wanted to move City Hall to the spacious former GM Headquarters in New Center area...

But the Call 'em Out coalition [[and some city workers) would have none of that... they saw the "hidden agenda" behind the move... namely to get African Americans out of downtown, and have white people move into the then City-County Building.

But lucky for the city... and the superior intelligence of these Call 'em Out folks [[and some city workers)... the city workers stayed downtown, and only those foolish State of Michigan folks moved to the old GM Headquarters.

So today the City Hall folks were spared the move to the "Class A" palatial and spacious marble and paneled GM Building now populated by those dumb state workers.

They saw thru that agenda and are still living the high life in that dated, unrestored and crowded "Class C" office space now known as the CAY Building.

Anyone want to kill ideas in Detroit? Just throw out the words "hidden agenda"... and there will be enough "intelligent and sophisticated people" out there to believe and be up in arms about it...

{Sarcasm Alert Off)

The secret committee is a plot by Brooks Patterson to take over Cobo. Come on people get with it.

Retroit Guest

Since when did non-incumbents running for office have to reveal who their advisors/team/cabinet will consist of? If it is not required for the President of the U.S., why require it of a mayor?

As for this:

"...where Bing comes from -- a world where wealthy businessmen put profits before worker safety, where cutting deals with Republicans is a daily occurrence..."

if you are accusing Bing of this, could you please provide more information for the voters?

And should we take this:

"...and where dealing with Detroit consists of zipping in on a freeway, grabbing what you want, and zipping back to the suburbs."

to mean that you believe that only Detroiters should be allowed to do business in the city?

Fidel Guest

Sorry this is nothing more than a subtle use, or maybe not so subtle use of the "race card" by Cockrell. God forbid there's white people on Bing's team trying to retake our little "hell hole of city government we've produced". Bing is the only chance the cities got IMHO. Plus everyone knows that guys with solid jumpers are the best leaders...Bill Bradley, Obama, and now Dave Bing.

Fidel, "race card"? I don't think so.

The only one to bring race into this is you.

Call it what it really is, another DUMB idea by Cockrel & co.
    Another opportunity for Cockrel to deflect from the fact that he has been a leader while Detroit has become a shithole. He led the council as Pres Pro Tem, then President, now Mayor. His record of being a leader is that of failure,
    The last thing this city needs is his leadership for the next four years.

I don't like Bing as a candidate for Mayor, but when the choice is between Bing/Cockrel for me this is a no brainer. The best I can hope for at this point is that come thise fall we will have a much better choice.

Bing is not ready for Detroit politics. He had reached his prime and there too many young folks voting for young politicians. Even from the Kilpatrick democratic generation.

How many people tell their boss that they're looking for another job?
    I'm sure these people who would be in his administration if he were to win would appreciate that their names aren't mentioned due to their current employment.

Quote Originally Posted by izzyindetroit View Post
    Dave Bing announced that he has assembled a secret group to help him plan the takeover of the City of Detroit if he is elected.

This is a secret team that comes from where Bing comes from -- a world where wealthy businessmen put profits before worker safety, where cutting deals with Republicans is a daily occurrence and where dealing with Detroit consists of zipping in on a freeway, grabbing what you want, and zipping back to the suburbs.
    He announced a secret group? I doubt it. It is up to the mayor to either keep current members from the previous adminstration's team or put someone in who will do a better job.

Wealthy businessmen and republicans from the suburbs? How is this any different than Kwame's support from Penske, Karmanos, and Patterson. Two of those three can be considered wealthy republican businessmen from the burbs and while Brooks might not have the coin the other two have he is certainly a republican from the burbs.

Too much divisivness in this town and we wonder why nothing ever gets done.

Dave Bing should announce his team. Otherwise, how can they be blackballed and retaliated against?

[[Please note sarcasm).

This is just Ken Cockrel's way of trying to distract us from the fact that he's lost to Monica Conyers, again. If he can't handle her, how's he going to handle a city?

I'm not impressed with either candidate. But, all things being equal. I may have to vote for Bing simply because he appears to be the better man between the two.

dexterferry Guest

I was on the fence, but cockrel's alliance with these protesters is going to win dave bing my vote.

Supposedly they were all paid and scurried away once the media arrived.

http://truthordarestories.blogspot.c...t-at-bing.html

That white, bald guy in blue looks like Joe the plumber.
    Sounds like the same old Kwame tactics. Enough already.

I can't help but comment on the hypocrisy of this protest. In March of last year, when Ken Cockrel was still President of the City Council but it was starting to look like Kwame Kilpatrick would be ousted from office, Mr. Cockrel told reporters that he had a plan to take over city government but declined to mention any specifics of it.

None of his supporters protested in front of Mr. Cockrel's office demanding that details.

Flash forward a year: Mr. Cockrel came in second place in the February mayoral primary. All of a sudden it becomes unacceptable for his opponent to do something that he did himself.

Really?

Isn't nice to see the Cockrel camp take their "people before politics" motto so seriously. It reminds me of the Fox News "fair and balanced" shtick.

Quote Originally Posted by Fnemecek View Post
    I can't help but comment on the hypocrisy of this protest. In March of last year, when Ken Cockrel was still President of the City Council but it was starting to look like Kwame Kilpatrick would be ousted from office, Mr. Cockrel told reporters that he had a plan to take over city government but declined to mention any specifics of it.

None of his supporters protested in front of Mr. Cockrel's office demanding that details.

Flash forward a year: Mr. Cockrel came in second place in the February mayoral primary. All of a sudden it becomes unacceptable for his opponent to do something that he did himself.

Really?

Isn't nice to see the Cockrel camp take their "people before politics" motto so seriously. It reminds me of the Fox News "fair and balanced" shtick.
    This is not quite the same , almost thou. Cockrel plans announced before KK ouster smacks of political opportunism and thus could have backfired. I think his point was I'm ready to hit the ground running if KK leaves. I can handle that.

Bing is saying I have people to help me out which in a way is him also saying he's ready to hit the ground running as well but the difference is "people" . Look if we don't know who these people are and once the papers start vetting these people after Bing is elected the papers will have so much news they can go back to daily delivery. Don't say the media won't find anything , they found Bings fake resume and if they find something from this "group" that Bing has put together, people will be crying about can't wait for November to come. Bing just needs to be transparent I don't have a problem with him having a team I just want to know what the team consists of.

Did Mr. Cockrel disclose who helped him put together his plan for a post-Kilpatrick take over? No, he never did that. Even to this date, Mr. Cockrel has disclosed that information.

Mr. Cockrel refused to disclose what was in the plan and he refused to disclose who the people were who helped him put it together.

This is the very epitome of hypocrisy. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Quote Originally Posted by Fnemecek View Post
    Did Mr. Cockrel disclose who helped him put together his plan for a post-Kilpatrick take over? No, he never did that. Even to this date, Mr. Cockrel has disclosed that information.

Mr. Cockrel refused to disclose what was in the plan and he refused to disclose who the people were who helped him put it together.

This is the very epitome of hypocrisy. Nothing more. Nothing less.
    I know from your previous posts that Cockrels not one of your favorite people and I understand that and I agree that he leaves MUCH to be desired , but he has a point about Bing de-facto cabinet.

All mayors get help and advise from people. CAY's sunday kitchen cabinet meetings at the mansion was were he got a lot of informal advise from the movers and shakers of the city.

Bing has said that these people will work for free, so that means they will yield some clout because Dave is too much a generalist to make it seem like the ideas came directly from him.

Its one thing to get advise, but Dave's statements make it seem like these people are going to be his silent business partners [[to use a business term) in running the city.

If any of these businessmen have been walking down the shady side of the street[[as I like to call it) the negative publicity will just add to the confusion that we already have. Lets just get this out of the open Before Bing takes office asssuming he wins.

Actually I agree with Bing on this one... why should he give more ammo to the "hidden agenda" crowd. Just look what happened to Hendrix during the last election.... people calling him Helmut [[a subtle reminder that he's not black enough).

Many Detroiters already see Bing as a suburban interloper, why fan the flames of the "us versus them" mentality. Didn't we have enough of that with Kwame doing subtle suburb bashing during the last election.

If folks don't like what Bing does as mayor, then they will have ample opportunity to vote otherwise in August and November.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Actually I agree with Bing on this one... why should he give more ammo to the "hidden agenda" crowd. Just look what happened to Hendrix during the last election.... people calling him Helmut [[a subtle reminder that he's not black enough).

Many Detroiters already see Bing as a suburban interloper, why fan the flames of the "us versus them" mentality. Didn't we have enough of that with Kwame doing subtle suburb bashing during the last election.

If folks don't like what Bing does as mayor, then they will have ample opportunity to vote otherwise in August and November.
    After thinking about it some more. You're probably right Bing will be in a no-win situation on this one. I like to consider myself pragmatic and its not in Bing best interest to give names but he should have been more low key about the announcement and like I said it looks like these people are going to help him govern the city and that concerns me.

Amazing, isn't it?, how Detroit politics always somehow devolves to racial fear and race-baiting.

Or perhaps sickening is a better word...