Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Complete Count Census Activities

Last week, a Brookings Report indicated that each additional person was worth the following amounts in federal transfer payments in FY08:
    State of Michigan $1606
    Wayne County 2392
    Washtenaw County 826
    Oakland County 717
    Macomb County 625

I assume that we will soon see much publicity about this year's census generated by the Complete Count committees appointed by Governor Granholm, Mayor Bing and county officials.
    The Census Bureau scores census tracts on the basis of the response rates they got with mailing for Census 2000. A colleague and I realized that some of the most challenging tracts in the entire state for the Census Bureau were those in Washtenaw County near U of M and EMU. We initiated a contest on the U of M campus seeking 60 second videos promoting this year's census with $3000 in cash prizes. All of the videos are are You Tube and may be seen at the url listed below
    http://census.umich.edu/view
    If you have more ideas about how to promote a complete count in the Detroit area so as to bring back more federal dollars to this area, please let us know.

Stosh Guest

I would not get your hopes up. Read on the non-Detroit section topic called American Community Survey to see why.