Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default The Father of the Super Highway

On this date, in 1916, Arthur hale of Maryland designed and patented te cloverleaf intersection.

It was not until 1928, that the first cloverleaf was constructed in Woodbridge, New Jersey

Usually, you can't patent the "national flower."

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Usually, you can't patent the "national flower."
    I thought the television satellite dish was the national flower.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    I thought the television satellite dish was the national flower.
    That's a good one too.

The West Virginia state fish is the gallon plastic milk jug.

The national bird is the orange construction barrel

Quote Originally Posted by rodj44137 View Post
    The national bird is the orange construction barrel

The Florida state bird is the construction crane.

Ontario's provincial bird is the mosquito.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    On this date, in 1916, Arthur hale of Maryland designed and patented te cloverleaf intersection.

It was not until 1928, that the first cloverleaf was constructed in Woodbridge, New Jersey

Someone set me straight....

I was always under the impression that the superhighway network was fashioned after Adolf Hitlers superhighway in Germany and the purpose of even building the national highway system was to transport military equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Someone set me straight....

I was always under the impression that the superhighway network was fashioned after Adolf Hitlers superhighway in Germany and the purpose of even building the national highway system was to transport military equipment.
    The "cloverleaf" intersections were being built long before the interstate system where there were two roads with serious problems with left turns and light timing.

Eisenhower was a young officer when he participated in the cross country move of an army motorized column and he noted the deplorable state of US roads. The interstate system was sold as a "defense highway" system during the Eisenhower administration and Eisenhower is considered to be the "father" of the interstate system. Certainly the German autobahn system had a big impact on him in 1945 when he was the SHAEF commander.