Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Dave Bing trying to steal L. Brooks' Precious Jewels

Patterson says Bing 'poaching' Pistons, threatens to lure Wings to Oakland

Detroit --Oakland County Executive L. Brooks today lambasted Mayor Dave Bing's efforts to lure the Detroit Pistons downtown as a deliberate case of "poaching."

"I don't like the idea," said Patterson. "In any sense, I call that poaching. I thought we're all supposed to be regional players but that's not developing good relationships when you deliberately" try and lure the Auburn Hills-based team to Detroit.

Even so, Patterson said he's ramping up efforts to move the Red Wings from Joe Louis Arena to the Pistons' home, The Palace of Auburn Hills.
    From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20100312/...#ixzz0hzwoqypA

Quote Originally Posted by leland_palmer View Post
    Patterson says Bing 'poaching' Pistons, threatens to lure Wings to Oakland

I have a very hard time believeing the Wings would move out there permanently. The Ilitches have such a strong contingent downtown, that their other businesses, and even the Wings would suffer in OC... so much of the fan base is still on the south end of town toward Monroe county, and I personally would not be able to make it to games either if that was the case.

I would vomit if I had to go to a Wings game in Auburn Hills. What a terrible waste of my time. Yeah...... love sitting in bumper to bumper parking lot jams after a game. Taking all the suburbanites out of Detroit 41 times a year might be a pretty bad thing for the city as well.

Love how L Brooks calls out Bing for poaching, then turns around and threatens the same thing.

The Wings belong in HockeyTown....... not HockeyHills. Barf!

Brooksie must have some friends with money they need to spend. The right offer and the Pistons can be theirs and stay in OC.

Patterson is at it again. How come nobody speaks out about how big of an asshole he is? Pretty much Freep and Detnews stick to the term "note worthy" or "quotable" however he's a straight up asshole. Talk about regionalism... not with this guy.

So, he says Bing is poaching the pistons? How about the fact that it makes sense to have one arena for the both - not to mention people would rather be in a city for a sporting event. It makes sense to have the sports arena/team in the center of entertainment for the region!

Blah! This guy has been poaching businesses from Detroit for years and all of a sudden when Detroit's mayor simply states that he would like to see the pistons in down here, WE'RE the enemy who's poaching on friendly territory. Of course, Patterson's squeaky clean right?

What a fucking hypocrite. I really hope that piece of garbage kills himself in a drunk driving accident. He has convinced me that no matter the circumstance will I ever again spend a penny in OC.

The mayor of Livonia is also bitching about Quicken/Fathead getting state tax credits to moev to the city.

You have leaders of a city and county that only exist because they poached from Detroit bitching about it.

Just one more example why this region will completely implode.

Quote Originally Posted by dcmorrison12 View Post
    Patterson is at it again. How come nobody speaks out about how big of an asshole he is? Pretty much Freep and Detnews stick to the term "note worthy" or "quotable" however he's a straight up asshole. Talk about regionalism... not with this guy.

So, he says Bing is poaching the pistons? How about the fact that it makes sense to have one arena for the both - not to mention people would rather be in a city for a sporting event. It makes sense to have the sports arena/team in the center of entertainment for the region!

Blah! This guy has been poaching businesses from Detroit for years and all of a sudden when Detroit's mayor simply states that he would like to see the pistons in down here, WE'RE the enemy who's poaching on friendly territory. Of course, Patterson's squeaky clean right?
    And as far as Patterson's threats... he said he was going to talk to the Wings... Bing hasn't even talked to the Pistons. He, himself, has only talked to the Wings. So I don't know where Patterson gets off saying Bing is poaching the Pistons when he merely said he wants to see them come home. And by home he means to the town they are named after... Patterson is a moron. There are A LOT of things that have to happen for the Pistons to end up downtown anyway, right now, there is no hope, not until they are sold.

Patterson is a guy that knows how to play to his base. I doubt if he even believes half the stuff that comes out of his mouth. He will defend Oakland county from all attacks, even if it isn't real.

It really is appalling how he gets a free pass [[or a free ride home from a County Sherriff) on these inflammatory statements.

I also find it rediculous that OC "poached" the Pistons and Lions from downtown in the first place, and he is accusing Bing and the City of this... just because it wasn't you, doesn't mean that it didn't happen...

This is why this region can never move forward. Nobody can agree to the best decision for the region, it is always about egos, it is always ME ME ME!!

The best decision for the region is clear, but Patterson will keep pushing back because of OCs effort to exert itself as it's own 'region.' They want no part of Detroit, regardless of what they say.

bartock Guest

I agree with firstandten. Sounds like he's being a bit cheeky when he says "poaching," probably a dig at the Belle Isle, etc. stuff about "stealing Detroit's jewels."

Besides, he'd say that this is America and the people who live in Oakland County chose to live there. He knows how to play to his constituents.

What was it called when he tried to lure the NAIAS to the Novi Expo Center?

What a hypocrite!!

God I hate that man.

Nearly all the media outlets here have a bias towards Oakland County and it's well being [[or whether how great it is) since that's where their offices are headquartered or where most of their employees live. Of course it was always at the expense of hurting Detroit. That's why I can't stand to read local newspapers or watch local newscasts.

IMO, the only real Detroit news outlet is WDIV, and not just because they're located downtown.
    Last edited by 313WX; March-12-10 at 05:57 PM.

Default "Poached" from Detroit

In the event that the news media actually runs with Kwame of the North's claim that Detroit is poaching the Detroit Pistons, I think it would be fun to list all of the companies that have been poached from Detroit by the suburbs, particularly the OC.

Fire when ready!

When I read the article, I had to giggle. If L. Brooks want the Pistons to remain in Oakland County forever then perhaps he should go to management and suggest that they change their name to the Auburn Hills Pistons or the OC Pistons.

http://r8rbob.wordpress.com

Does this include Macomb County? Well off the top of my head...

*Kmart
    *First Federal Of Michigan
    *Standard Federal
    *WXYZ
    *WJBK
    *WMXD Mix 9.23
    *WJKB FM 98
    *J.L. Hudsons Company
    *United States Postal Service
    *Turri's Italian Food Company
    *Remer Surgical Supplies
    *Alexander & Hornung Sausage Company
    *Zeidman's Jewelry & Loans
    *Shield's Pizza
    *Louie's Pizza
    *Second City Theatre
    *Blue Nile Restaurant
    *Lupo Chiropractic
    *Cattleman's Meat Market
    *Crowley's

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post

*Kmart
    *Standard Federal
    *WXYZ
    *WJBK
    *WMXD Mix 9.23
    *WJKB FM 98
    *J.L. Hudsons Company
    *Remer Surgical Supplies
    *Zeidman's Jewelry & Loans
    *Shield's Pizza
    *Louie's Pizza
    *Second City Theatre
    *Blue Nile Restaurant
    *Lupo Chiropractic
    *Cattleman's Meat Market
    *Crowley's
    When did WJLB and WMXD move to Oakland County?

What's got his panties in a bunch? That valuable Auburn Hills land should fill up in no time! Just like the Silverdome property... Wait, I meant the K Mart property, oh wait...

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    When did WJLB and WMXD move to Oakland County?
    Last fall.

Good grief that man should be required to blow a breathalizer before he spouts. That way he could at least be clear-headed enough to describe the situation as re-poaching. But then Fort Wayne could get in on the circus and start crying about how the Pistons were poached from them.

It just goes to show what a detriment to regional unity that fossil continues to be.

Quote Originally Posted by mogo View Post
    In the event that the news media actually runs with Kwame of the North's claim that Detroit is poaching the Detroit Pistons, I think it would be fun to list all of the companies that have been poached from Detroit by the suburbs, particularly the OC.

Fire when ready!
    http://detnews.com/article/20100312/...Oakland-County

I just read this article as well. I honestly don't understand L. Brooks Patterson at all! Detroit has been working for regional cooperation for so many decades but this man is trying to hold it back longer and longer and longer.

Now Patterson is going to try to "lure" the Red Wings to Auburn Hills?! I mean come on, does he really want to see Detroit filled with more blight and suffering? I don't think I have ever seen a longer serving and greedier politicain than L. Brooks Patterson. He cannot be credited any higher than Kwame Kilpatrick if he continues to fuel this ridiculous "City vs. Suburbs" mentality.

Every healthy metropolitan in this country [[New York, Chicago, Boston, Washington D.C... etc.) does not have this "City vs. Suburb" issue. Can't Patterson see that in order for SE Michigan to be healthy, prosperous, and successful we have to cooperate, build a mass transit system, and stop this "county vs. county", "City vs. Suburb" thinking. Though I know many people think Jennifer Granholm is a failed governor, she did say one thing that was 100% true during her time as governor, she stated that we are "one Michigan". And I agree with that 100%. We must stop thinking of yourselves as people from Oakland, Wayne, Macomb counties or people from the City of Detroit. We need to start thinking of ourselves as united Michiganders, and sadly Mr. Patterson still believes in running ways under the "old regime".

I'm not going to defend Patterson [[I voted against him in '08), but I will take issue with the idea that Detroit has been working for regional cooperation for so many decades. As long as I've been here [[which dates to 1978), Detroit's idea of regional cooperation amounts to "write us a big check every year and we'll take care of things". As far as I can tell, politicians in Detroit have resisted the idea that funding from the suburbs or state might involve some oversight at every turn.

I agree we're we're all one region, but Detroiters [[and Detroit politicians) have to recognize Detroit is only part of the region, with less than a quarter of the region's residents.

Quote Originally Posted by Don K View Post
    I'm not going to defend Patterson [[I voted against him in '08), but I will take issue with the idea that Detroit has been working for regional cooperation for so many decades. As long as I've been here [[which dates to 1978), Detroit's idea of regional cooperation amounts to "write us a big check every year and we'll take care of things". As far as I can tell, politicians in Detroit have resisted the idea that funding from the suburbs or state might involve some oversight at every turn.

I agree we're we're all one region, but Detroiters [[and Detroit politicians) have to recognize Detroit is only part of the region, with less than a quarter of the region's residents.
    Okay... but the city of Detroit is the center of the region. It is of integral significance to the health of the region and of the entire state. Think about how many young people move away from the state entirely, in search for an urban lifestyle in places like Chicago. Detroit can't be reduced to just "one part" of the region, for our region will slowly collapse without a strong center.

Bring the Piston's here. How is it "poaching" if they were located in Detroit to begin with? Oakland County poached them along dozens of other things. The Lions finally moved back. The pistons are destined to follow. Of course Patterson will put up a last minute fight.

It's funny how you say Detroit's idea of regional cooperation is "write us a big check every year and we'll take care of things" because that is exactly what the suburbs have been doing for the last 50 years, so it isn't something exclusive to Detroit. Not to mention during this time that federal funding vastly disproportionately favored suburbs over inner cities.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post

*Kmart
    *Standard Federal
    *WXYZ
    *WJBK
    *WMXD Mix 9.23
    *WJKB FM 98
    *J.L. Hudsons Company
    *Remer Surgical Supplies