Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

The Dude Guest

Default Old Freeway Photos

I saw a few old freeway photos on WAYNE sTATE'S Virtual Detroit photo section, but does anybody have picture of when I-94 WAS m-112 AND when I-75 was Alt. us-24 With the signs to prove it.?

Some fun before-and-after Detroit freeway images here:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=122541

Now those are some nice photos...notice how nice and clean everything was.

Simply wonderful! Of all things on this site, I most love the old and unique photos and information share by the members. I found myself looking for landmarks and familiar buildings and road ways. Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    Some fun before-and-after Detroit freeway images here:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=122541

There are some great shots of the "Big GE" sign [[visible from the Lodge) on that site, GsGeorge.

The Dude Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    There are some great shots of the "Big GE" sign [[visible from the Lodge) on that site, GsGeorge.
    Thanks for the pics. Now if anyone as a pic of 94 with a M-112 sign or I-75 with an ALT US 24 sign, that would be cool.

Remember when the GE sign would change colors at night?

Yeah, about when did the GE sign come down... I was born the early 60s... but it looked sorta familiar in a "remember that when I was kid" sorta way. I liked the shot of the steam locomotive train on the tracks. Crazy smoke!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post

I'm staring at an old 16x24 Yellow Pages map to the left of my monitor here, circa 1960, give or take a couple. Fort is US 25, which then becomes Gratiot. Michigan Ave is US 112, Gd. River is US 16 [[ I remember a sign at Telegragh and Gd. River telling me that in the late 70's), Woodward is US 10. The Lodge runs to Wyoming then details the proposed estension as the James Couzens Hwy. The Ford runs the entire length of the map until it ends at Vernier, where again, there is a proposed extension.

The only places it actually mentions the name of either freeway is the "Special No Turn Ordinances for the Ford-Lodge Interchanges" better known to us as that cutting across three lanes of traffic in 50 feet to get off at Forest or Woodward.

Incidently, Ford Rd is M 153, Vandyke is M 53 Plymouth as m14, Eight Mile is M 102, all of which we know them as today.

Schaefer Hwy is listed as M-39. Could that short stretch of road leading to the plants at Rouge have anything to do with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I liked the shot of the steam locomotive train on the tracks. Crazy smoke!
    Try being close up downwind of one sometime when it is stoppped or moving slowly. Getting rid of steam locomotives, stationary boilers, and coal heating did wonders for cleaning up the air.

If you are interested in the history of Michigan highways, here is an interesting site:

http://www.michiganhighways.org/

Unfortunately, there are no photos.

The Detroit Historical Society has some great images on file showing the construction of I-94 and the Lodge, and the interchange between the two.