Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Forge Factories

Default Forge Factories

Hi all.
    I am trying to research a couple of Forge foundries that I think forged components for Harley Davidson in the 1930's, 40's, 50's, and 60's.
    One of the foundries that I am researching had a foundrymark of DIF.
    I started researching the Detroit area because I supposed that the D in the Hallmark might have denoted Detroit.
    I know that Harley forged some of thier own small components but think that they subbed out the larger parts.
    I reasoned that they would use Detroit because of the large infrastucture of the car industry, already set up.

Another foundry has a foundrymark / Hallmark of MF which may have been Michigan .... but I am only guessing there.

I was reading an old thread "Old Car Factories" and a member "Livernoisyard" may know a cruicial part of the information that I am trying to clarify. If anyone is in contact with this member can thay let them know I would like to talk to them.
    Any help or ideas is appreciated.
    Regards Steve Little
    Australia

Retroit Guest

Dearborn Industrial Foundry?

That is probably 'Dearborn Industrial Foundry'.

The Y Block Guy has a picture of a DIF ID on his website.

http://yblockguy.com/yblock_003.htm

Hope this helped.

Good luck down there, Steve.

Also, see:

Harley book on Google
    Last edited by goggomobil; March-12-10 at 08:58 PM.