Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default It turns out it wasn't just Mamma Cheeks' aide that got a letter from the Government

Rep. Cheeks Kilpatrick subpoenaed to grand jury

Deb Price / Detroit News Washington Bureau

Washington -- Rep. Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick and a top aide have been served with grand jury subpoenas requesting testimony in U.S. District Court in Detroit.

Cheeks Kilpatrick, D-Detroit, notified House Speaker Nancy Pelosi of the subpoena in a letter March 1 but made it public Wednesday.

"After consulting with my attorney, I will make the determinations required" under House rules about how to respond, the congresswoman wrote in the March 1 letter. Members are required to report being subpoenaed, and the House clerk read Cheeks Kilpatrick's notice as is customary.
    Advertisement

The reading did not explain the matter in which she was being subpoenaed.
    Cheeks Kilpatrick's office said they had no comment on the subpoena or its contents.

The congresswoman's son is former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, whose actions as mayor are being investigated by federal prosecutors.

Cheeks Kilpatrick office manager Andrea Bragg disclosed her subpoena to House officials March 1. The notice was published Tuesday in the Congressional Record.

Bragg said she would comply with the subpoena while Cheeks Kilpatrick said she is consulting an attorney on how to respond.

I love this town.

Quote Originally Posted by leland_palmer View Post

Bragg said she would comply with the subpoena while Cheeks Kilpatrick said she is consulting an attorney on how to respond.

Do you really have an option of not complying with a federal subpoena?

She's going to consult the attorney on how to lie and stall as much as she can.

Being summoned by a Grand Jury doesn't mean you have to say anything.

I plead the fizzifth!

One - two - three - fo' - fizzifth!