Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Hard Luck Lounge Detroit

Does anyone know anything about this place allegedly going into [[Proof)'s old location??

Hard Luck Lounge Detroit

Isn't this the name of another "lounge", bar in Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Hard Luck Lounge Detroit

Isn't this the name of another "lounge", bar in Detroit?
    I think there is a Hardluck Lounge in Grosse Pointe Park - Yes. Maybe someone has a hard time trying to be creative?

It's a beautiful little spot. Too bad it's all the way "over there." [[Don't mind me: Just the west-sider in me talkin'.)

Better get open by Opening Day or loose out on thousands of dollars.

I know that whoever is reopening [[Proof) wrote a really nasty review/grand reopening announcement on Yelp. Nothing like attempting to drum up new business by bashing the former owners. Classy. It has since been deleted, but this is what it said:

"For all of those who liked [[PROOF) I have news for you...something better is on the horizon. Greg and Dave did nothing but destroy that business. Thank God the right people took it over. [[PROOF) will be reopening as The Hard Luck Lounge Detroit at the end of march 2010. This will be a more friendly, more enjoyable, more comfortable place to play and drink with a much more competent staff and more intellegent owners. Cheers."

I like how they spelled intellegent wrong. That speaks volumes. I know I won't be going there. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by janb View Post
    I know that whoever is reopening [[Proof) wrote a really nasty review/grand reopening announcement on Yelp. Nothing like attempting to drum up new business by bashing the former owners. Classy. It has since been deleted, but this is what it said:

"For all of those who liked [[PROOF) I have news for you...something better is on the horizon. Greg and Dave did nothing but destroy that business. Thank God the right people took it over. [[PROOF) will be reopening as The Hard Luck Lounge Detroit at the end of march 2010. This will be a more friendly, more enjoyable, more comfortable place to play and drink with a much more competent staff and more intellegent owners. Cheers."

I like how they spelled intellegent wrong. That speaks volumes. I know I won't be going there. Ever.

I saw that too- that's what made me curious about whoever is reopening the place.

Hard Luck Lounge Detroit is set to open by open day, if all goes well. It's some of the partners at Hard Luck Lounge Grosse Pointe [[who are also partners with me at Small's) and some others. They'll have Hard Luck Candy vodkas there, which is really amazing stuff. Anyone could've written that Yelp post, I wouldn't blow off Hard Luck Lounge Detroit without at least one visit and at least one of their swedish fish martinis, yum! I have high hopes for this place and will probably be visiting often.

I actually know who wrote that review; he is involved with the reopening and he is nothing but trouble. I know nothing about the other people involved and will make no personal judgements about them. Someone should really make them aware that the guy who wrote that review has really turned off a large group of potential customers, many of whom that live and work downtown. Like I said, I won't be setting foot in that place. Sorry.

but then you say:
    I actually know who wrote that review; he is involved with the reopening and he is nothing but trouble. I know nothing about the other people involved and will make no personal judgements about them. Someone should really make them aware that the guy who wrote that review has really turned off a large group of potential customers, many of whom that live and work downtown. Like I said, I won't be setting foot in that place. Sorry.
    So what is your agenda here? In one post its "whoever" which would imply you did not know who it was....the second post you "know who wrote it". Which is it? Personally I plan to go now and spend twice as much as I normally would on opening day, simply because you went out of your way to join a website and post your little personal vendetta.
    Last edited by bailey; March-12-10 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    but then you say:
    So what is your agenda here? In one post its "whoever" which would imply you did not know who it was....the second post you "know who wrote it". Which is it? Personally I plan to go now and spend twice as much as I normally would on opening day, simply because you went out of your way to join a website and post your little personal vendetta.

No agenda here. Actually joined the site a few months ago, I know I don't post often, but I have been reading it for years. I think you were trying too hard with all of your detective work... saying "whoever" in my first post wasn't implying anything of the sort, it was just the way I worded my comment. Now I know why I don't post very often.
    Spend all the money you want there on opening day. Here's to a rotten hangover the next day.

No agenda here. Actually joined the site a few months ago, I know I don't post often, but I have been reading it for years. I think you were trying too hard with all of your detective work... saying "whoever" in my first post wasn't implying anything of the sort, it was just the way I worded my comment. Now I know why I don't post very often.
    Spend all the money you want there on opening day. Here's to a rotten hangover the next day.
    Maybe you shouldn't write in coded language and just say..."hey, the guy who is trying to open a new bar where proof was is a ~~~~~~ and is bad mouthing the former owners." instead of all the cloak and dagger. of your 4 posts [[at the time) two were used to bad mouth someone opening a business. yah.. no agenda.
    Last edited by bailey; March-12-10 at 07:39 PM.

gotta go with Bailey on this one, Janb, you seem to have an ax to grind. If you know the name of the person who wrote that on yelp, name him. For all we know, you wrote the yelp review in a double reverse attempt to sour patrons from a new business.

Right now, you are sounding like a viscous gossip with no purpose except to hurt people.

I most definitely did not write that review. I was a regular at Proof, loved going there and still keep in touch with the former owners. They are great guys and don't deserve to be bashed like that. I was angry when I found out about the review. I realize that I should have been upfront about that in the first place. I do apologize. I don't wish for any business in Detroit to fail, I just think there are much better ways to go about promoting yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Melody View Post
    Hard Luck Lounge Detroit is set to open by open day, if all goes well. It's some of the partners at Hard Luck Lounge Grosse Pointe [[who are also partners with me at Small's) and some others. They'll have Hard Luck Candy vodkas there, which is really amazing stuff. Anyone could've written that Yelp post, I wouldn't blow off Hard Luck Lounge Detroit without at least one visit and at least one of their swedish fish martinis, yum! I have high hopes for this place and will probably be visiting often.

I just want to put in a second for the Swedish Fish Martinis - delicious & dangerous. Good to see the Smalls crew is making money, I hope they make Proof a more fun place to be just like they did in the Park.

You are right Janb, the owners of [proof] got a raw deal. I was not a regular but I understand they worked really hard to make a go of the place and din't deserve to see all their work go for naught.

I understand how you feel and salute your loyality to Greg and Dave. I don't know these new owners, but I wish them luck ... we need every single establishment we can get because an empty storefront is contagious.

Thanks for explaining your situation, and welcome to the forum.

How cool is this!! I met my fiance' at the original Hard Luck. Now, we together here in the D and Proof was our regular spot. We started sampling a host of different flavored martinis to make the selections for the Martini Bar at our wedding. I was saddened when I first heard the news of its demise, and I wasn't able to make it to the last party. Fortunately for me, my fiance' was able to go, and surprised me with bringing home the last Proof shirt that hung on the wall!! I don't have to tell you what I'll be wearing when I welcome the new neighbors to the neighborhood...

Default Why does it matter?

Why does it matter who owns the new bar? Bars open and close all of the time...it's the business. I would think that unless you are related to the owners, it wouldn't matter. Everyone thinks they are great friends with bar owners....no you are not....you are just dollars in their pockets. I'm excited that something else is going in that location. Why be bitter? I'm sure there are two sides to the story of the closing of [[PROOF). Let's just celebrate the new ownership and the continued effort of making a business happen in Detroit!!!