Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Replacement windows

We want to have the 50-year-old windows in our house replaced.

Can anyone offer some guidance?

Wood, vinyl, fiberglass? Wallside, Hansons, Majic? Andersen, Pella, Marvin, JELD-WEN?

Any particularly good or bad experiences to share?

Thanks!

Crystal:

I have had experience with both Hanson's and Wallside. I prefer the Wallside installers. Prices are comparable for the same type of vinyl windows. Send me an e-mail to corneroffice2 at aol dot com for some more info.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    I prefer the Wallside installers.
    Ditto.

Hanson's had some bad reviews on the old DetroitYES forum. Pressure sales, etc. You might try searching for that thread there.

IIRC, in the same thread Andersen and Pella were highly rated but expensive.
    Last edited by Jimaz; March-10-10 at 09:18 PM.

Since the old forum's search engine seemed broken I used site:atdetroit.net Wallside Hanson's in Google to find these two threads:
    Last edited by Jimaz; March-10-10 at 09:20 PM.

I called Hanson and Wallside a couple of years ago to get a price on a doorwall and kitchen window. Neither wanted to make an appointment unless my husband was there. WTF...I wasn't about to make a decision then and I can't relay the information to my husband? I told both of them to take a hike and I would not refer them to anyone.

I agree about Hanson, didn't try Wallside. If they won't talk to me without my husband, I don't need them. I got Anderson wood frame windows and love them. They did cost more but they are sooooo nice looking!

Earlier, I had a contractor install vinyl windows from Weathergard. I don't lke the way they look as well as the wood, and the large ones seem loose in the frames. They are supposed to come out easily, but it seems to me they should still fit well. I have called Weathergard for information on maintaining them and gotten no response.

Very, very bad experience with high-pressure con artist from Hanson's. Would never buy from them.

I think it was Cadillac Windows that did our Detroit house way back when. More recently, we had five doorwalls replaced at our new home by Mulligan's. It was a difficult job and done well. I think they are on Eight Mile, and I would use them again without hesitation.

Other forums and sites give them pretty bad reviews, so I don't think we'll be calling Hansons.

Now we need to educate ourselves about materials and other things.

Make sure you stay away from Jeld-Win, they are cheap, and lack quality, you'll have a seal failure within a few years.

Whatever company you decide on, ask if they use Dura-seal spacers, as they are the best in the industry. I worked for a competitor, but have to say Pella, Anderson and Marvin are good brands.

Come to think of it, we recently had a Pella storm/screen door installed. It's great. It has a damper piston on both top and bottom. You can lock it open with a foot pedal if your hands are full. It's sturdy but not heavy. [[It doesn't twist like typical aluminum doors.) It has a sturdy lock. Best of all, they designed it for maximum glass area for a good view. It often seems like it's not even there. This winter we often left the main door open and I couldn't feel any draft or cold coming through the storm door.

Yeah, credit where credit's due. Pella is quality.

Wallside replaced our windows today, and we couldn't be happier! Thank you for all the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    Wallside replaced our windows today, and we couldn't be happier! Thank you for all the advice.
    Is the tax credit still available on this improvement? If so, make sure you have them send you the documentation showing the windows meet the energy requirements for when you file. We got all new windows last year and benefited greatly from that credit.

Since we replaced all 17 windows in our house [[a small ranch) they said we qualify for the maximum tax credit, and that 2010 is the last year for the tax credit. They said they will mail that form with our receipt and warranty.

Now if you will excuse me, I must open and close windows now...