Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Question about Avalon breads

Does anyone know if Avalon has gluten-free bread? I can't find a website for them. Thanks in advance.

I've never seen anything like that there.

Just curious, but how can there be gluten free bread? Bread is made from wheat.

You use other types [[usually a combination) of flour such a rice flour or potato flour.

Corn flour, tapioca flour, buckwheat, soy, potato or rice flour. Oatmeal isn't recommended because of "cross-contmination." If you have celiac disease - you do what you gotta do...

The gluten-free thing is an emerging food trend. It seems like only the most health-conscious places [[think Inn Season, Mind, Body & Spirit) cater to those special dietary restrictions. We had a totally gluten-free market in town a few years ago [[Bel Cibo in Clawson, I think) but it folded.

Try calling Avalon.

Awesome bakery that will do gluten-free: sugar-kisses in Berkley. And it doesn't TASTE gluten-free!

Michigan Guest

This is what amazes me. Any other city would be happy to have the Avalon and the people that it brings to town. Here it just sits underused by itself.

This is what amazes me. Any other city would be happy to have the Avalon and the people that it brings to town. Here it just sits underused by itself.
    Avalon is underused? I can remember a half dozen times where I couldn't get through the dooor because there were so many people in line.

Quote Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
    what are you talking about? avalon has a steady stream of customers during the week and overflows on weekends. nor is it "by itself" -- goodwells is right next door doing so well that they're expanding!

the fact that the first post is asking if avalon has a particular type of bread has no correlation to he or she not adequately appreciating the bakery, as you seem to be insinuating.

Michigan Guest

I disagree. Goodwells and Avalon should be overwhelmed. It is like the Lafayette versus National thread. Why tear one down to build up the other?

Michigan, I'm confused... I thought Avalon had to expand to an additional building to hold their booming commercial business. Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by REL View Post
    Michigan, I'm confused... I thought Avalon had to expand to an additional building to hold their booming commercial business. Am I wrong?
    Wrong, you are not.

Avalon breads sell at the Holiday Market in Royal Oak. It is hard to get certain breads if you go late in the day. SOMEbody is eating their bread.

Everythime I go to Avalon it is packed with people. Hoping to head there for lunch today with a gluten-sensitive friend. I do not understand Michigan's posts at all.

sarah; i sympathize with the gluten sensitivity. before my wife got a handle on her celiacs i was on a mission to find gluten free stuff. if memory serves, i don't think avalon has anything. i also struck out at most of the other bakeries in the city proper, unfortunately.

rsa, you are correct. We called Avalon and they do not have gluten-free bread ;-[[ Apparently Mudgie's has gluten-free bread; we'll try it.

www.sugarkissesbakery.com is the link to the all-natural, gluten-free bakery in Berkley.

Quote Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
    Heh. Lousy philistines ...

Ask Avalon to make some. They are super people and if they think there is a small niche market they might accomodate you.

Personally, I would buy a bread maker and make my own. Beats running around town.

Love Sugar Kisses! If you're looking for gluten-free, I would highly recommend it.