Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Ernie's Market in Oak Park, best & biggest sandwich in Metro Detroit [[with video)

http://tinyurl.com/ErniesMarket

I shot and produced a fun video for the Detroit Free Press of Ernie Hassan, a great guy making the most amazing and biggest sandwich I've ever seen at his store, Ernie's Market in Oak Park.

Ernie has been there for over 50 years making his famous sandwiches yelling "Yeah Baby!" bringing smiles to new and regular customers.

If you have room for it he also sells a big variety of Faygo pop and Better Made potato chips. The sandwich can weigh as much as 1 1/2 to 2 pounds for $5 it's a bargain for lunch or have it cut in half and eat the rest for dinner.

Enjoy or head over there and try it yourself

Eric

YUMMM!

Thanks for the info, I'm going to stop there sometime this week.

Starve yourself Dan. Have a light dinner the night before and a very light breakfast. I saw one guy devour it and his stomach must have felt like a pile of bricks afterwards.

I ate half of one and it's so amazing and Ernie is just a rare person that loves what he does, customer service is #1 for him.

Thanks for watching it.

Eric

Ernie is the greatest. Talking to him will definitely lift your spirits.

Awesome- I love Ernie. Stopping into his little shop is a surefire way to brighten your day. And the sandwiches are yummy too!

Wow! weeee! I'm gonna have to check this out... so nice to see a thriving independent store like this!
    Quote Originally Posted by torbusto View Post

I shot and produced a fun video for the Detroit Free Press of Ernie Hassan, a great guy making the most amazing and biggest sandwich I've ever seen at his store, Ernie's Market in Oak Park.

Ernie has been there for over 50 years making his famous sandwiches yelling "Yeah Baby!" bringing smiles to new and regular customers.

If you have room for it he also sells a big variety of Faygo pop and Better Made potato chips. The sandwich can weigh as much as 1 1/2 to 2 pounds for $5 it's a bargain for lunch or have it cut in half and eat the rest for dinner.

Enjoy or head over there and try it yourself

Eric

"No problem baby, just a little mustard, you won't know its there baby."

I love that he puts a Hershey's kiss on top of each wrapped sandwich.
    Even though the line can go out the door you know you are getting the fresh and best sandwich as you watch Ernie slice cheese and various meats.

Had to try Earnies after watching this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvoECeFtYYQ

Definitely worth the trip. Get the $5 3meats/3cheese. Check out the Bettermade selection.

Ernie will be excited to hear that DetroitYes/Youtube sent you. Yeah baby.

Yeah bigtreble, people will really rush after watching this video

and seeing it on TV in the morning.

The line will be out the door the next few days :-) Besides Better Made he's has a huge selection of Faygo to wash it all down.

Ernie's is one of the best in town! He makes you feel like you have been friends for years. Nice job with the video, Eric. I'll bet it was fun to go to work that day.

Stromberg2

The man/ location [[they're really inseparable) has only won the WDIV Best Sandwich Shop in the metro area for the last two years by a huge whopping long shot and with reason. Have one of those sandwiches and you'll be hooked. It's the best five dollars I've ever spent.

Eric, great video on a great place.

If anyone has a bad day and in need of lunch, this would be the place I'd recommend to everyone. One leaves with great food and a great feeling from one of the most positive human beings on the planet. I can't even begin to count how many people I've sent here and not one person has told me I'm nuts for sending them here. And I've even placed orders of 20+ sandwiches and Ernie & his friendly staff has accommodated us every single time.

If only there were more people like Ernie in this world. He truly is legendary and a treasure.

Where is Ernie's located in Oak Park??

Hi Cinny Kid,
    Ernie's is at

8500 Capital St
    Oak Park, MI 48237
    [[248) 541-9703

There is almost always a long line out the door so be prepared especially when it is nice out and the recent attention his store has been getting from new people since my video aired on TV and on the web

Eric

I will check this place out when I get up there. We have nothing independent down here, all franchises and that gets old in a hurry

Quote Originally Posted by rid0617 View Post
    I will check this place out when I get up there. We have nothing independent down here, all franchises and that gets old in a hurry
    Once you try Ernie's you can forget about looking at Subway, Quizno's, Tubby's, Jimmy John's, Blimpie, Grinderz, or any other sandwich shop ever again. They all pale in comparison with regards to taste, amount, and friendly atmosphere.

Just the show that Ernie puts on is worth the price of admission, great guy...love him!

I remember going to Ernie's for lunch when I was at Ferndale High in the early 80's. The sammiches didn't look anything like they do now, I remember good ol' Wonder Bread, some meat and cheese, some tomato and lettuce, and ALWAYS wrapped in waxed paper. And wonderful old hardwood floors. Have not been back there since, I really need to get back. :-)

detroitjim Guest

#ONE northside Sammich Shoppe! Went there for the first time a couple of weeks ago.

Had deja vu all over again . It retro'ed me to the middle of the block grocery stores

around Hamtramck ,back in the day. I member gettin the same GIANT sammich only difference

then it only cost 35c. The $5 one was definitely worth the price today.
    Last edited by detroitjim; March-11-10 at 05:54 PM.

I wonder what the love spice is?

Stromberg2