Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Lafayette vs. National Coney Island! REALLY???

I'm surprised no one has brought this up yet. If they really are comparing the two I find it insulting. I know tradition plays a big part in Lafayette but honestly I feel they are WAY better than a National coney dog. I know National didn't grow like they did because they have crappy food but I doubt it was because they had the best dogs.

Lafayette for life!

There was a show on Food Network called Man vs Food and he went to both coney places to try them out. And I'd also agree, I like Lafayette better, but both are very good.

DC48080 Guest

Lafayette has the best Coneys hands down. National's are awful. They don't steam the buns like Lafayette and they use cheese whiz instead of real shredded cheese like you get at Lafayette.

And of course, there is the one of a kind atmosphere at Lafayette. National is like a McDonald's that serves Coneys.

Lafayette has the best Coneys hands down. National's are awful. They don't steam the buns like Lafayette and they use cheese whiz instead of real shredded cheese like you get at Lafayette.
    Ironically, I saw a National Coney Chili truck unloading boxes outside of Lafayette/American. I bet they use National's chili.

National has a larger menu then Lafayette - it's more of a full service restaurant. As far as coney dogs go, there's no comparison, Lafayette is way better.

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Ironically, I saw a National Coney Chili truck unloading boxes outside of Lafayette/American. I bet they use National's chili.
    I doubt Lafayette uses National's chili. They taste nothing alike. I can't say about American though. I haven't eaten there in years. Lafayette only for me.

Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    I doubt Lafayette uses National's chili. They taste nothing alike. I can't say about American though. I haven't eaten there in years. Lafayette only for me.
    Agreed, definitely taste nothing a like.

Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    As much as I want to discount this I recall someone saying once that all the chili starts at the same and each place adds their own touch to it. I don't know how that could be true as each place has such a different taste. NOW I was in the basement of Lafayette once and the guy had the door open to the room where he was grinding the meat. Honestly, on that 80F day I really didn't wanna see him in there doing that. Oh well. I still love a damn loose, no mustard!

Lafayette and American are both great. Good places for the TV shows and the tourists. But any real Detroiter will tell you that Duly's is the very best.

Who the hell cares? The debate will always go on, this doesn't change anything. I love Lafayette, but National is my hangout spot. And plus, no one puts cheese on their coney, that should against the law. If your talking about the suburbs, National is the best. Leo's is too stuck-up. If your talking about the city, Lafayette, IMO.

And plus, no one puts cheese on their coney, that should against the law
    LOL! Agreed

I know for a fact that a few years back I bought chilli from Lafayette to send down to Florida. Box was marked National Coney Island, Don't know what gives but my Mom was surprised also. Neither of us have ever set foot in American so I would have to go with Lafayette. As for National don't see those on the WEST SIDE so I can't comment.

If jjaba isn't a judge, the results are rigged.

I don't know about you, but I have not had a good coney since the original Hefty's on Grand River in Redford closed. Hands down, the best ever. Ask anyone who grew up near there. There is still a Hefty's restaurant there now but it has different owners, different building, crappy coneys, nothing like the original. Should give the name back.
    With that said, I do not get downtown enough to give an honest opinion on whether Lafayettes or the others are any good.

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    I'm surprised no one has brought this up yet. If they really are comparing the two I find it insulting. I know tradition plays a big part in Lafayette but honestly I feel they are WAY better than a National coney dog. I know National didn't grow like they did because they have crappy food but I doubt it was because they had the best dogs.

Lafayette for life!
    Who's comparing Lafayette to National?
    If you're talking about Food Wars, it's supposed to be Lafayette against AMERICAN

Can I get a vote for Senate or Teds??? Ted's for sure

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Who's comparing Lafayette to National?
    If you're talking about Food Wars, it's supposed to be Lafayette against AMERICAN
    I too was confused when I scrolled through this post- National has nothing to do with the Food Wars episode being filmed.

MLive Food Wars Article
    And here's the Freep article outlining the times they will be at each restaurant:
    Free Press Article
    Last edited by jcole; March-10-10 at 11:05 AM. Reason: added info

Lafayette, plan and simple. American is better than most other coney islands, but it comes in second in my unscientific opinion.

The thing I find kind cool is that neither has cheapened their product by expanding to several other locations. [[although, if I remember correctly Lafayette briefly had a store at Eastland Mall in the 70's) You must go downtown for the Real McCoy.

Lafayette had stores at Eastland, Oakland Mall and, I think, at Summit Place.There may have been more

They are both good but Lafayette is better.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Lafayette had stores at Eastland, Oakland Mall and, I think, at Summit Place.There may have been more
    I'm not sure about Eastland, but at Oakland & Summit Place it was Kerby's Koney Island. Kerby's is pretty much all over the westside, while National maintains its presence on the eastside. Leo's is trying to make inroads all over the metro area. Personally, I prefer Kerby's over National, Leo's, or even Senate. I've haven't been to Lafayette or American enough recently to have an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    But any real Detroiter will tell you that Duly's is the very best.
    Does Duly's use natural casing or skinless hot dogs?

Duly's uses skinless dogs. It's just not a real coney if it doesn't have that snap to it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast