Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Gleaners Food Bank Building Question

This came in the mail bag today... help him out.

Greetings:
    I am employed by the Gleaners Community Food Bank of Southeastern Michigan. Our building is located at 2131 Beaufait St. across from the F.M. Sibley Lumber Co. building. I am looking for information about our building that we might be able to share with visitors. Our understanding is that the building was used for some type of manufacturing and was where the lumber yard was located. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Sincerely,
    John Dziurgot
    VP. of Operations
    GCFB

Here are a couple of shots from 2003.

I think it was probably part of Sibley Lumber. Sanborn map from 1922 shows a multi-part building belonging to F. M. Sibley Lumber Co, with parts labeled either sash & door warehouse or planning mill or lumber yard. Most of the building was three stories, however the location of your three-story building at the time was shown as a lumber yard, and the current one-story section was all three-story. Must have been some rebuilding later.

Polk directories different years list these businesses along Beaufait, between Kercheval & Waterloo, but no 2131...

1935:

2189 Kuttnauer Mfg Co and Midwest Abrasives Co
    2297 Republic Gear Co

1940:

2127 Sibley Lumber Co shipping dept
    2189 Midwest Abrasives Co and Kuttnauer Mfg
    2191-2197 Republic Gear Co

1967:

2189 Kuttnauer Mfg Co
    2197 General Box Co [[branch)

looking in google books for 2131 Beaufait reveals a company called "Self-Seal Containers, inc" was there in 1979. Googling "Self-Seal Containers, Inc." show they've moved to Warren.

Address and ph: 21650 Hoover Rd Warren, MI 48089 [[586) 755-3755

I suggest Mr. Dziurgot give them a call and see if they have any info. Keep in mind companies tend to get tight-lipped about their former locations due to pollution they may have left behind, or in pollution left behind by previous owners, ... not saying there is a problem, just saying Mr. Dziurgot should keep that in mind when he calls them.