Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default St.Patricks Parade 3/14/10

Stop by Trumbull and Michigan , say hi! .will be across from old Tiger Stadium.

Don't forget to change your clocks the night before, don't want to be late for the parade.

Do you think the dye in the Chicago River for thier parade will kill off the Silver Asain Carp?

I predict a madhouse parade. Its always crazy in Corktown when it is unseasonably warm.

I'll look for some floating fish this Saturday and report back, DetroitPlanner. I really wish that I could make it back to participate in the Corktown Race. I had a great time with all of the parade-goers inspiring us last year. I doubt that I'll in top form come Sunday, however.

We sent in an application to March in the parade as an organization, but have yet to here back from them.

Cub

Anyone know what time the parade starts?

Though there's no mention of the tolerability or intolerability of these actions, DPD has new rules to heed:
    1) no open containers of alcohol
    2) no handing out or throwing out candy from the floats
    people will be ticketed!

pgn421, since your little party HQ will be populated with a number of drunken sots, how would someone identify you? Last year I had an interesting conversation with a surley burley gentleman while searching for you. I mention this because in trying to pronounce your name it sounds like one is saying "Pigeon" while holding a penny under your tongue. Hence going from one drunken celibrant to another asking, "do you know peegee-n 421" nets a negative outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastside View Post
    Anyone know what time the parade starts?
    2:00 is the start time. http://saintpatricksdayparade.com/detroit/index.htm

Another web site you can check out is www.DetroitStPatricksParade.com . It will be interesting to see how the police react to people partaking in downing their beverage of choice. Last year I noticed a lot of cans and bottles scattered all about which of course was a bonanza for those people who like to collect them. The main problem seemed to be the other trash that was strewn about the parade route. I don't recall if there were trash containers that were made convenient but still that's no excuse for not cleaning up after yourself. Here's hoping that the weather is close to the spectacular day we had last year. On a side note my sister who lives in Chicagoland says the South Side Parade has been cancelled because it became a drinking event. They will have a parade in Grant Park on Saturday the 13th. Check out this site www.chicagostpatsparade.com . I guess I thought their parade was downtown from what I recall in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" . The web site also has info on dyeing the river green.

Default St. Patricks Day Parade

Cub - go to the website and send an email to us. We will be happy to answer your question regarding your application.

http://www.detroitstpatricksparade.com/

Be warned - DPD is very serious about crowd control and the public drinking. I believe it is a $75 + ticket.

thanks for the heads-up about the open container crack down. altho we always used tailgating rules: pour favorite beverage into a opaque cup. anybody know why they're cracking down after all these years?

also, anyone know what the bathroom situation is going to be like this year? number of port-a-potties seems to fluxuate year to year. i'm wondering because this'll have an effect on if we bring the little one down or not.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2028 View Post
    Another web site you can check out is www.DetroitStPatricksParade.com . It will be interesting to see how the police react to people partaking in downing their beverage of choice. Last year I noticed a lot of cans and bottles scattered all about which of course was a bonanza for those people who like to collect them. The main problem seemed to be the other trash that was strewn about the parade route. I don't recall if there were trash containers that were made convenient but still that's no excuse for not cleaning up after yourself. Here's hoping that the weather is close to the spectacular day we had last year. On a side note my sister who lives in Chicagoland says the South Side Parade has been cancelled because it became a drinking event. They will have a parade in Grant Park on Saturday the 13th. Check out this site www.chicagostpatsparade.com . I guess I thought their parade was downtown from what I recall in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" . The web site also has info on dyeing the river green.
    I plan to go to the Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2028 View Post
    I plan to go to the Chicago one downtown. I didn't mean to schedule a visit to my sister's on St. Pats Parade weekend. The parade in Ferris was the Von Stueban Day Parade, the German-American St. Pattys Day.

Default St. Patrick's Day Parade

Truly can't speak for the City Administration and the DPD. I guess the City feels the Parade has become a street party and they intend on enforcing the laws. Sure they looked the other way in years past. But the crowds are reaching 75000+ and they can no longer look the other way.

In order to obtain this years permit the UIS [[United Irish Societies) agreed to many changes [[for the good) in order to maintain control. We have added more Porto-Potties and Trash bins. To keep the crowd out of the street their will be no throwing of candy or beads.

It is a privilege that the City allows us to March down Michigan Ave-Corktown.

Quote Originally Posted by ggores View Post
    Though there's no mention of the tolerability or intolerability of these actions, DPD has new rules to heed:
    1) no open containers of alcohol
    2) no handing out or throwing out candy from the floats
    people will be ticketed!

I hope your joking?????? What about urinating in public?

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    I plan to go to the Chicago
    Ummmm...ok I remember I had something typed here but I guess the rest never carried over...so what I want to say is:

I plan to go to the Chicago one. I didn't realize it was St. Pattys Parade weekend when I booked tickets to go to Chicago. The parade is Ferris Bueller was Von Stueben Day, the German-American St. Pattys Day.

WTF? There it is. I need to look more thoroughly. Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by Olaim1 View Post
    Truly can't speak for the City Administration and the DPD. I guess the City feels the Parade has become a street party and they intend on enforcing the laws. Sure they looked the other way in years past. But the crowds are reaching 75000+ and they can no longer look the other way.

In order to obtain this years permit the UIS [[United Irish Societies) agreed to many changes [[for the good) in order to maintain control. We have added more Porto-Potties and Trash bins. To keep the crowd out of the street their will be no throwing of candy or beads.

It is a privilege that the City allows us to March down Michigan Ave-Corktown.
    just to clarify; i wasn't complaining, merely curious. street party vibe was fun, but i understand why it's bad and would rather have the parade continue. glad to hear there will be more port-a-potties.

The movie with the Chicago St. Patrick's Day parade in it is 'The Fugitive'. In it, the protagonist dons a green hat and marches alongside a group to get away from the authorities.

Gnome-the P, in Pgn, stands for Patrick. I will have Elvis glasses on . Darko is with us too. He used to play for the Pistons. He is almost 7 foot tall,

I'm planning on attending this year for the first time. Where are the best viewing spots? I was thinking about the area of 14th and Micigan. I'm trying to avoid the street people and gang bangers. Hope to see a few forumers.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    I plan to go to the Chicago one downtown. I didn't mean to schedule a visit to my sister's on St. Pats Parade weekend. The parade in Ferris was the Von Stueban Day Parade, the German-American St. Pattys Day.
    This is my first time. It will be interesting seeing the river green. If I have time I'll try and snap a shot 18 floors up since my office building is on the river.

Hopefully everybody will be good, the laws are incredibly strict and the fines are steep. Doubt anyone wants to go home with an $800 fine for public indecency.

Quote Originally Posted by Philbo View Post
    I'm planning on attending this year for the first time. Where are the best viewing spots? I was thinking about the area of 14th and Micigan. I'm trying to avoid the street people and gang bangers. Hope to see a few forumers.
    Gang bangers and street people? In Corktown? If you're that afraid and dilusional maybe you should stay away all together. Now if you said drunks and litterers you would get a pass, but this parade has way too many cops in and around it for gangbangers and beggars to show-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Philbo View Post
    I'm planning on attending this year for the first time. Where are the best viewing spots? I was thinking about the area of 14th and Micigan.
    I believe Michigan Ave/14th Street is where the parade ends, the area around the old stadium at Trumbull is about mid-way on the route.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast