Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default American Consumer Survey

I'm curious to know if anyone out there has ever received this survey from the U.S. Census Bureau. It's not a part of the 10-year census, it's an effort to gather detailed information on a more-frequent basis. Apparently it's sent to random residences. When I first saw it, I assumed it was a scam. But I'm absolutely convinced it's legit. I had a bizarre experience with this whole thing. I won't go into too much detail right now. I just need to hear about others' experiences with this survey. I will say that I didn't fill out and return the survey because I felt some of the questions were very personal and dangerous to answer. Examples: What time do you go to sleep? What time do you get up? What time do you leave for work? When do you return home, etc.
    Needless to say, I was not about to write down my salary and the answers to the above questions and make it easy for some unscrupulous postal employee to rob my house.
    Looking forward to hearing from others.

American Community Survey

Did it say "Consumer" or "Community"?

Default American Community Survey

Sorry. It's American Community Survey. That's what I get for hurrying ...

yeah, I wouldnt answer those questions, useful to them or not........

Default American Community Survey

I never sent the survey back, even though it clearly states the survey must be returned, under penalty of law, and that if I didn't reply "a representative of the Census Bureau will visit this residence." And if I didn't answer all the questions "a Census Bureau rep would be contacting me to obtain the missing answers."

So I bided my time. Last Friday, I came home to a letter stuck in my door with the name of a Census Bureau rep who added "Please call me ASAP". I ignored it. The next day, my doorbell rang and I ignored it again. This time the rep left a letter that states "I'll keep returning to your home until I receive a response."

Now I was worried. So I called her Saturday and she said we could complete the survey over the phone. She said if I was not comfortable giving an answer, I could just say "I don't know." Completely contrary to the instructions. But OK.

So she asked me my name. I replied "I don't know." She asked for my initials, I gave her false initials. She asked me a series of questions from the survey, of which 95% of my responses were "I don't know."

When we were done, I asked her what purpose this survey served since I gave her virtually NO useful information and her response was "I don't know. I get paid based on the number of people I contact."

Now I'm not a political person, and I'm not anti-government strongly, but this whole effort was a ridiculous waste of time and MY money. I don't need to be threatened by my government and was wondering if anyone else has had an experience like this. The ACS has been in place since the late 1990s, but I never heard of it, and no one I talked to has ever been contacted. But a Google of it shows a number of anti-government people are infuriated by it. I can't find any instance of anyone being punished for not answering.

I'll be in touch with my Senator and Congressman.

Quote Originally Posted by Savoyard View Post
    Now I'm not a political person, and I'm not anti-government strongly, but this whole effort was a ridiculous waste of time and MY money.
    It sounds like you're the one who CHOSE to make it a waste of time and money.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    It sounds like you're the one who CHOSE to make it a waste of time and money.
    He/she meant waste of money because the money was already spent harrasing him/her. How did Savoyard choose to make this a waste of money? Taxpayer money was spent already whether he/she participated or not. Nevermind, don't answer my question, as I'm sure it will be insulting and completely uninformative as usual.

I fully understood what Savoyard meant by a waste of time and taxpayer money. Good for you Savoyard for not giving any information. The Census is a headcount and nothing more, and these Community Surveys are completely absurd.
    Last edited by johnsmith; March-09-10 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsmith View Post
    He/she meant waste of money because the money was already spent harrasing him/her.
    My goodness! The horrors of filling out a brief survey and dropping it in the mail! I betcha the postage was already paid too. *GASP*

I know, I know. I should be more sympathetic. I can only imagine what it's like to have the government casing your home in a sinister plot to take all of your shit, disrupt your family life, and conspire to knock you down a few pegs, just for the fun of it. I mean, sending a written follow-up letter? How harrassing! The duress!

Would you say sending Census Bureau personnel to a person's residence on multiple occassions is more or less expensive than the price of a stamp?

Quote Originally Posted by johnsmith View Post
    He/she meant waste of money because the money was already spent harrasing him/her. How did Savoyard choose to make this a waste of money? Taxpayer money was spent already whether he/she participated or not. Nevermind, don't answer my question, as I'm sure it will be insulting and completely uninformative as usual.

I fully understood what Savoyard meant by a waste of time and taxpayer money. Good for you Savoyard for not giving any information. The Census is a headcount and nothing more, and these Community Surveys are completely absurd.
    Ghettopalmetto: Johnsmith was right. "Insulting and uninformative as usual" ...

Gettin' pwned again.. as usual..

People on these boards bitch all the time that the government doesn't function the way they want it to. The American Community Survey is a golden opportunity to provide feedback in this regard, and Savoyard chose to waste it [[AND taxpayer dollars by making the process more laborious than necessary). Recognize that the ACS has replaced the long form of the decennial census, because people feel it's entirely too cumbersome to answer questions about their own lives. That's sheer laziness, plain and simple.

And now people are concerned about whether or not somone's feelings got hurt? Boo fucking hoo. You want to act like a paranoid idiot, living in fear of civil servants [[egads!), and then expect others to feel sorry for you because the government is doing its job. Get a life and take some responsibility for your place in civilized society.

Quote: "The American Community Survey is a golden opportunity to provide feedback in this regard, and Savoyard chose to waste it- That's sheer laziness, plain and simple.""

No, true laziness is seeking information and quite lethargically mailing out a bunch of questionnaires that might come back and might not, to random citizens, that probably represent no target that would prove anything conclusive anyway. For what these civil servants are paid, they could get off their big dumb asses and knock on some doors, and actually talk to people. It's called effective implementation, earning your pay and giving the taxpayers some value for their tax dollars spent..
    Last edited by Sstashmoo; March-09-10 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    For what these civil servants are paid, they could get off their big dumb asses and knock on some doors, and actually talk to people. It's called effective implementation, earning your pay and giving the taxpayers some value for their tax dollars spent..
    Okay, let's see how your time-tested theory plays out in reality:

Quote Originally Posted by Savoyard
    Last Friday, I came home to a letter stuck in my door with the name of a Census Bureau rep who added "Please call me ASAP". I ignored it. The next day, my doorbell rang and I ignored it again. This time the rep left a letter that states "I'll keep returning to your home until I receive a response."

Now I was worried. So I called her Saturday and she said we could complete the survey over the phone. She said if I was not comfortable giving an answer, I could just say "I don't know." Completely contrary to the instructions. But OK.

So she asked me my name. I replied "I don't know." She asked for my initials, I gave her false initials. She asked me a series of questions from the survey, of which 95% of my responses were "I don't know."
    Looks like the Census Bureau did exactly as you asked, Sstashmoo! Now who needs to get off their ass in this case?

The Census is only as good as the information you provide. If you don't provide dick, you don't get dick.

The ACS has been in place since the late 1990s, but I never heard of it, and no one I talked to has ever been contacted. But a Google of it shows a number of anti-government people are infuriated by it. I can't find any instance of anyone being punished for not answering.

I'll be in touch with my Senator and Congressman.
    Well I guess if you found out some bad things about it from the internet, it can't possibly be anything other than a sinister plot to take someones guns and bibles...

the american community survey
    - is an on-going survey
    - is sent to a sample of the population
    - tells us what the population looks like and how it lives
    - helps communities determine where to locate services and allocate resources
    ho ho! You got those fockers good!

Quote: "I came home to a letter stuck in my door with the name of a Census Bureau rep who added "Please call me ASAP"."

Ghettopalmetto, It was a mass mailer that the OP responded to. 99% of the recipients including myself would have thrown it in the first available waste receptacle.

Quote: "Looks like the Census Bureau did exactly as you asked, Sstashmoo!"

No they didn't. He called some call center, probably in India.

Ha, pwned again...
    Last edited by Sstashmoo; March-09-10 at 08:07 PM.

Quote: "I came home to a letter stuck in my door with the name of a Census Bureau rep who added "Please call me ASAP"."

Ghettopalmetto, It was a mass mailer that the OP responded to. 99% of the recipients including myself would have thrown it in the first available waste receptacle.
    You say "mass mailer", I say "government document". It helps to pay attention to the mail you receive.

And, you know, that whole "reading" thing.

And, you know, that whole "reading" thing.
    What a smug bastard you are. Does it cold up there on your high horse?

Document? LOL whatev'r..

Compared to the Constitution or say the Bill of rights, how would you say this mass produced and mailed "document" questionnaire compares. Other than maybe the morning constitution, I'm not seeing the importance or parallel of significance. Waste can it would go.

Document? LOL whatev'r..

Compared to the Constitution or say the Bill of rights, how would you say this mass produced and mailed "document" questionnaire compares. Other than maybe the morning constitution, I'm not seeing the importance or parallel of significance. Waste can it would go.
    Ok... that is the dumbest thing I have ever read in my life. Soooo, because a government questionnaire that could greatly benefit you and your community doesn't hold the same weight and significance as the Constitution or Bill of Rights, you are going to toss it into the waste bin? Please, it's 2010, paper can be recycled.

Post the phone number you were given. I'll be more than happy to call this individual. What was her name?

My goodness! The horrors of filling out a brief survey and dropping it in the mail! I betcha the postage was already paid too. *GASP*
    I got one in the mail, too. also did not fill it out. the questions felt more invasive than the census questions, and it wasn't "brief" in my opinion [[brief being a one-four pager). it was a pretty hefty packet, and somewhere in there or the cover letter that came with it, it mentioned something about providing inaccurate info being subject to laws about perjury

I'm curious to know if anyone out there has ever received this survey from the U.S. Census Bureau.
    I got one of those the last time around [[2000). I filled it out and sent it in and never heard from them again.

The End.

I heard a discussion of this I think on Craggy's show. The American Consumer Survey replaces the long form census form that was used the last few times. The long form was sent to roughly one in six households. There won't be a long form this year. Instead, the ACS will be sent to selected households. They plan to do this annually, so look out all you privacy people.

In my work, I have found the annual updates of census data invaluable. People filling out the surveys really help those of us who use the information for grant writing for things that can assist people in the community.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    I heard a discussion of this I think on Craggy's show. The American Consumer Survey replaces the long form census form that was used the last few times. The long form was sent to roughly one in six households. There won't be a long form this year. Instead, the ACS will be sent to selected households. They plan to do this annually, so look out all you privacy people.
    What? Why do people get so up in arms about things benefiting their community? I'm not saying you necessarily gaz, but I am fed up of all these scare tactics on both sides. A survey isn't going to lead to an invasion of your civil liberities... if it does, guess what!? You can call those idiots at the ACLU!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast