Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Cancer!

Default Cancer!

Is there a light at the end of the tunnel? Seems to be an epidemic-a plague of Cancer-Im not good with statistics but seems more people in the thirty-fifty age group are being taken down by the affliction of Cancer. Ive known quite a few individuals-mostly co-workers, who have fallen to this horrible disease. I lost my own mother, who smoked for many years, had a horrible diet and did a stint in a plastics factory, to lung cancer. She was 63.

I know that compareatively speaking we have much higher incidences of Cancer than many other industrialized societies and that there are many Cancer causing culprits-suspects including of all things the chemical that produces the new car smell. Diets low in fruits and vegetables; toxins in the air; overexposure to sunlight; excessive drinking and of course smoking are linked to Cancer. There is also the terrifying genetic link..

According to what Ive read some types, of which there are hundreds, can be completely cured if caught in the early stages..I think small cell lung?cancer; pancreatic;throat;colon and skin cancer would be curable if caught in time...

www.webmd.com

Blame lack of healthcare, I suspect I have colon cancer [[runs in the family). No insurance so what do I do?

I believe Medicare/Medicaid covers cancer treatment - check with DHS and see what you are eligible for. My sister used to get Medicaid through the state, and she was undergoing cancer treatment. She had a $300 deductible and all treatments had to be approved by her worker, but she was able to get what she needed at a basic level.

Sumas, if you suspect colon cancer, you should immediately stop fried foods, red meat, pork, and sugar, and up your intake of raw veggies and fruit, and raw juices. You don't want to exacerbate the problem until you can see a doctor.

In the letter section of a recent Metro Times a Canadian wrote about his 29 year old son recieving treatment for stage four colon cancer: at no cost he underwent two operations; chemo treatments; Mri and Catscans; and a stent implant. Sumas start calling around-perhaps Karmanos offers free colon cancer screening. Colon Cancer can be cured if nipped in the bud early in its progression.

early detection and prevention would be better than trying to put the genie back into the bottle..however, many of us even with insurance have an ineffective preventative programs or educational materals...It is because the system hasn't figured promotion of health is cost effect versus trying to pay for recovery...

My heart and prayers go out to those who are suffering because they can't afford to go to regular check-ups or they are rushed through them because of the insane need to squeeze more patients per hour into a shrinking time slot. Sumas Please take care...I hope you will be OK....

I believe Michigan has free screening. I don't know all the details, but it is certainly worth looking into.

"The Colorectal Cancer Screening program, funded by the Michigan Department of Community Health, provides free colorectal cancer screening to the uninsured and underinsured in 30 Michigan counties"

http://www.michigan.gov/gov/0,1607,7...2151--,00.html

Eating right and quitting smoking helps too.