Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Sunny Day - 1st Bike Ride of the Year

Greetings-

Yep, I was out riding today enjoying the sunny, warm weather. Checked out the Canals on the eastside of Detroit where I saw a muskrat sitting on the ice enjoying a tasty stick of some sort. Quite a few fisherman were down there as well. Lots of people on Belle Isle walking, running and biking. Kids were having a blast on the playscapes.

Anyone else take advantage of today's sunny weather?

LodgeDodger Guest

Had the sunroof open while out this afternoon.

I went for a decent jog...yay springtime dawning.

Went downtown. Took a ride around the entire DPM, visited Greektown. Then I went to Highland Park and then a drive down Grand Boulevard.

Saw many buses: DDOT Nova RTS and New Flyer buses and SMART Gillig Transit Low Floor buses. Plus a few trains. Went past the Tiger Stadium site. All gone. So is the Lafayette Building.

Now we are this >.< close to spring.
    Last edited by mtburb; March-06-10 at 08:59 PM.

I also did my first [[big) bike ride of the year on Friday--what a beautiful, glorious, perfect day. We did one of my big all-encompassing bike tours with a group of people from the Netherlands like I did last year. This was a group of social housing architects from south of Rotterdam. So the tour focused on developments & social housing. We rented bikes for them from the Wheelhouse, then saw the RenCen. Stopped in Campus Martius for a history lesson, then to the Guardian Building where Chris, the venerable doorman, gave us a big tour of the building. We meandered through Brush Park and stopped at Brewster to show them America's first African-American public housing project. A little ride through Eastern Market, then to the east side prairies and Farnsworth Farms to show them the best of the new urban farming movement. We went to Lafayette Park, where the local historian and longtime resident gave us a big tour of the grounds & his townhouse [[formerly owned by Dr. Charles Wright, of all people, with his original office still intact in the basement). Then we went up to the David Stott to visit a friend, who brought us up to the roof for a panoramic view. Took the elevators back down and went to Slow's for a late lunch, before going through Corktown & up Trumbull to Woodbridge Estates/Jeffries West. Then a ride through Midtown/Wayne State -- a little Yamasaki for the architect nuts -- then down to W. Canfield to show them my favorite street in the city. We topped it off with a drink at the Bronx where we ran into some old friends & City Bird owner Andy Linn. What a day! 21 miles in all and still feeling it tonight... This is why I love & live in Detroit!