Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Old Street Signs

Detroit still has up the old green street signs [[without the white border). And the font is slightly different. Where do these old signs stand, and a photo if you have one? The number is shrinking as they are being replaced by the newer ones with the border.

Look at the intersection of John R. and Farmer in Google Street View:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...86.12,,2,-6.62

Well I took a ride on the DPM today and it was replaced by the newer version! Sorry I have no photo since I left the camera at home.
    Last edited by mtburb; March-06-10 at 05:25 PM.

You mean like this one, hanging on my garage wall in Henderson, NV????
    Last edited by Ray1936; August-01-10 at 08:25 PM.

Somebody better call the cops. Oh wait.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Yes. That's the one.

I don't have any photos or info, but I know somewhere there's still a sign with the Lodge Frwy being US-10.

There are several signs on Livernois directing you to US-10.

By "old street signs," I initially thought you meant the smaller, black-on-white ones. Those were used for decades.

All signs over here in the Nehterlands were replaced just a few years ago. They were made of steel with enamel. These days the streetnames have to be retro-reflecting, so it is easier to see for emergency vehicles like police and ambulances.

Sadly I missed the opportunity to obtain an old one in particular, this one. Someone else did manage to save the old one seen here. And if you want to know what that street means to me, it's the site of our old football [[soccer to you) stadium. Imagine having the streetsign of the old Tiger stadium on your wall. You know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Somebody better call the cops. Oh wait.....
    Grabbed it 25 years back. Statute of limitations is in effect.

Have you been to W. Fort and Scotten streets? The old street signs are still up at that corner.

Default White and black signs

Here is a restoration I finished about 2 years back. Got the signs from a little old lady who had them laying around. The signals were is really bad shape when I bought them and now it all looks like this!

Great job, signal!!! And before those black-on-white signs, Detroit's street signs were made of wood, and were white letters on a black background.

Over the next few years street signs are all going to be replaced to meet the new reflectivity requirements of FHWA. This will cost a small fortune as each city, county, and the state literally have to replace tens of thousands of signs each. Since there is only a finite amount of money available for transportation; this will result in fewer dollars available for resurfacing streets or maintaining buses.

Incidentally newer signs have a font that is easier for seniors to read.

This will cost a small fortune as each city, county, and the state literally have to replace tens of thousands of signs each.
    Is there any way GPS technology could display virtual street signs on dashboards & cell phones instead? Or am I thinking too far ahead?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Funny
    I recall seeing a sign just like that on Mr. Warwick's garage
    in Sylvan Lake about 30 yrs ago.
    He said there was a cross street in that Rosedale Park neighborhood he developed closed off, and that sign was going to be
    thrown out anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Is there any way GPS technology could display virtual street signs on dashboards & cell phones instead? Or am I thinking too far ahead?
    Not everyone has GPS or Cell Phones. Many jurisdictions have laws against using cell phones or other distractive devices. Heads-up displays were around for a while that could integrate that stuff pretty well, but they went the way of Chrysler's talking car. Besides, GPS does not always work. When you get into areas with a lot of tree cover or a canyone [[be it a downtown or a natural one) the GPS can't triangulate.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Detroit still has up the old green street signs [[without the white border). And the font is slightly different. Where do these old signs stand, and a photo if you have one? The number is shrinking as they are being replaced by the newer ones with the border. [...]
    Lots of them still around, but disappearing quickly: http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&ie=UTF8&hq=&ll= 42.378424,-83.144832&spn=0.028912,0.043731&t=h&z=15&layer=c&c bll=42.378504,-83.144746&panoid=pRo_320dvkdvfTxCrV77KA&cbp=12,305 .43,,0,5

The "old" font is the FHWA standard alphabet, mostly Series C. The "new" font is Clearview Highway, Series 1-A [[http://clearviewhwy.com/TypefaceDisp...?product_id=75).

- Ross in Ottawa

There was one of the old black on white/black border signs on Grand River east of Telegraph, south side about half way past Grand Lawn Cemetery. IIRC for Grayfield Avenue. VERY faded. The only one that I have seen since I moved back to Michigan, that was over twenty years ago.

Last time I drove past there I didn't look to see if it was still up though.

Even into the 1990's many of the street signs with black font on the white background were still used for many east side[[east of Conner) streets. I think the far east side was the last area of the city to change over to the white font on green background. De La Salle Collegiate in Warren [[since 1982) has the old black-on-white Conner & Glenfield signs outside the main entrance of the current school to represent their Detroit heritage.

The city did never bother replacing these old ones along Ford Road:

http://maps.google.com/maps?source=e...KLJLn65M25PaPQ

Look at every intersection between here and Artesian st.

Ray, we established some time ago that you knew my dad from DPD days. Saw your street sign just now....My husband and I lived on Warwick [[ our first house, a beautiful tudor style ) when we got married! I assume you lived on that street too? Where abouts? Maybe we were neighbors? We were just south of Eaton. Does your last name start with a G?

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbred View Post
    Ray, we established some time ago that you knew my dad from DPD days. Saw your street sign just now....My husband and I lived on Warwick [[ our first house, a beautiful tudor style ) when we got married! I assume you lived on that street too? Where abouts? Maybe we were neighbors? We were just south of Eaton. Does your last name start with a G?
    No, we were about four blocks away. Our place was 15505 Warwick, just south of Grand River. I wish I could have taken that home to Nevada with me, but wish in one hand and....well, you know. And nope, last name starts with a "D", as in Downing.

That neck of the woods in Detroit seems to be holding up pretty well, though, doesn't it?

Ray, the area does seem to be holding up pretty well, some foreclosures and a few empty homes, but there doesn't seem to be any community, Detroit or suburban where that is not the case. Before I was married, my family lived on Stahelin between Fenkell and Grand River, and also on Glastonbury 2nd house north of Grand River, just behind Mc Cabe Funeral home. All lovely and unique homes with great details inside. They don't build them like that anymore! I still love the area and hope it continues to hold it's own.

The Dude Guest

Default OLD, OLD Street signs

Check this one out from the 1930's.Attachment 5425

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Over the next few years street signs are all going to be replaced to meet the new reflectivity requirements of FHWA. This will cost a small fortune as each city, county, and the state literally have to replace tens of thousands of signs each. Since there is only a finite amount of money available for transportation; this will result in fewer dollars available for resurfacing streets or maintaining buses.
    Does this mean they'll replace all those old-fashioned signs in the Pointes too? Or do only big cities get unfunded mandates.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast