Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default slightly frustrated

I have noticed many people I have enjoyed reading seem misssing from this new version of DY. Perhaps people have changed ID's? I now seem to see the screen most people see but I have noticed that maybe half of what I post never appears.

Is there a time lapse sequence? I apologize to anyone wanting me to be "friends" or PM them. I am a computer dummy and even though I have common sense some of this stuff I can't navigate. Maybe my computers are too old????

On a different thread I saw someone mention they don't post much anymore with the new format. There are so many people I miss reading. This forum has provided so much wit and wisdom in the past. Please start to contribute again because the board is so boring without you all!

Ravine Guest

Sumas, is it possible that your disappearing posts have been on Page Twos, or Threes, of threads, and then when you went back to check them you were on Page One?
    That would be one of my dislikes about the new format. The old format took you directly to the most current page of a thread, with any previous pages history-linked above. This format takes you to the original page, with any later pages linked. To me, that is backwards, and it could cause a reply of yours to seemingly disappear; you're back on Page One, which would not have happened, before.

If you click on the the V in the box just to the left of the thread title, it takes you to the first post you haven't read yet. Not the top of the thread. Much nicer than the old board. The old board you had to scroll through all the previous posts and try to remember where you left off. The page breaks on the old board were inserted by the Admins.

I love the new format.
    Last edited by ndavies; April-20-09 at 12:23 PM. Reason: additional info

I'd bet Ravine has the right idea. You could also try the search function to find lost posts.

I've never noticed any posts missing after submitting but occassionally during revisions I'll get the "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" error and have to restart the post from scratch. To avoid this, I now routinely compose in notepad and copy & paste the whole post [[Ctrl-A helps) into the reply editor to preview the formatting.

There are a few other peculiarities here. Sometimes copying from Internet Explorer and pasting into the reply editor just doesn't work. I have to instead paste it into Notepad then copy it from there before the reply editor will accept the text. I can only guess there's some non-printable character interfering that disappears when pasted into Notepad.

Like I said, I am very computer illiterate. Slowly, I am learning my way around the new forum. I read and appreciate all advice given.