Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit independent film festival award ceremony

Anybody going to this tonight? It's at the DeRoy Auditorium at Wayne State at 7:30 p.m. The 5 short films nominated for Best Picture will be shown at the Ceremony. $5.00 gets you in...such a deal!

A friend of mine, Alex Safi, is nominated for Best Actor in a short film called "Raised Alone", which has already won several festival awards. Mr. Blue and I will be there to cheer for him.

Check this site for information www.detroitindiefest.com

Too bad Alex didn't win. I certain he would have shown more class than the guy who did. Once that guy diverted from protocol and made a speech it opened the door for everyone but shut out those who won earlier including Alex's co-stars from Raised Alone.

I'm curious, what did you think of Raised Alone?

I thought "Raised Alone" was the best of all the films. I would love to see the longer version, which was cut for the festivals. I had seen the trailer, but not the full version and was moved to tears at the end. The music was very well matched to the film. I think everyone in the cast did a superb job. I can't wait till they make it available for purchase.

I certainly did not understand the Best Picture going to "Pigment". I was very happy for Vicky, John and Sam winning in their respective categories, but I think Alex out-acted any of the male lead actors in the other films. I'm not a professional in the movie business...simply a movie-goer. And my friendship with Alex is not clouding my judgment. He knows very well that I would tell him honestly if his performance was not good. And yes, he is a very classy guy, and a great singer as well as an actor.

How about you? What was your opinion?

I've seen the longer cut and it is much better. The film does not work as well in the shorter form. I thought that Sam should have won for best director. Raised Alone was much larger in scope than the other films. Sam had to contend with numerous locations, dozens of extras [[a few hundred for one shot), and a morning of Aerial shooting. Not and easy task considering the entire film was shot in about 8 1/2 days.

I totally agree about Sam. I hope to see the longer version. If you get word that it becomes available, will you please let me know either here or at corneroffice2 at aol dot com?