Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Honest?John

Default Honest?John

Is Honest?John coming to Corktown?

It would make a certain young angel addicted to that Pocket of Joy VERY happy.

Anyone know if this is true?

A second location, or is he moving? What's the rumor?

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    A second location, or is he moving? What's the rumor?
    I can't image that he's moving after all the work he's put into that stretch of Selden. John paid to level the burned-out grocery store/market next door, for example.

I think this is just a ruse to make our critics have something to giggle about.

I was in there just the other day, as my dahling friend turned me onto that amazing and inexpensive sandwich [[that I'm totally jonesing for now, so I guess I'm in her new twelve-step group), and they looked as solid as ever...if a bit slow.

I cannot imagine him moving or duplicating efforts...he is kinda a hands-on manager, not able to watch over more that where he can see at once. Not a dig, just an observation.

I've heard its going to be a Cheesecake Factory and a House of Blues!

IMHO, the first important question to ask is: Is this a move from the current Selden location or an additional location in Corktown? The secret to Honest John's success, again IMHO, is John Thompson himself. Part of the charm Honest John has had at both the previous Field Ave. location and now on Selden is an ecletic mix of patrons and a location off the beaten path. Would the same atmosphere be possible in a prime downtown location????

Quote Originally Posted by preserve View Post
    Is Honest?John coming to Corktown?
    Is that you Thompson?

The first time I went into the Selden location there was a cute girl drinking a Black Label 40oz at the bar. I knew right then this was my kind of place.

I really should look at the menu more often, but I've been drinking the same beer for years. I only noticed last week that 40oz. on the bottom of the list and chuckled into my pint of Guinness, then the barkeep told me it had been there forever. Perfect!

Except for what 40oz. of Black Label would DO to my system.

The 40oz Black Label is one of the MAIN reasons I go week after week....I've even converted some die-hard "importers" to Black Label followers!

Time for a game of Edward 40 Hands

Count me in.

Default Honest?John

Since when is CorkTown, a prime downtown location?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFreddy View Post
    Since the huge lines at Slow's...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFreddy View Post
    Johnny, you're not from here, are ya?!

It is our little Mayberry-in-the-City...with a little Austin, TX thrown in at night.

Cheers

He might be taking over Baille Coraigh, on Trumbull?

no, I heard it was the Express Bar on Michigan - maybe to ease
    the wait at Slow's, Lord knows there are enough customers
    to fill up several bars while they wait for their seat at Slow's

Where did this rumor come from?

The original Honest John's on Field was great - - anyone remember that place? Would love to hear some old stories!!!

I have to give credit to John for keeping his business in Detroit and supporting Detroit. I listened to his B.S. stories and dual personality for years and can't stand the man. In the Cass Corridor Area I would have to say he has as many people who hate as love him.

I heard the "original" Honest John served up more stock tips than he did drinks!

gravitymachine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    He might be taking over Baille Coraigh, on Trumbull?
    yes, that's what i heard too

Heya Dday! Every time he comes up, I think of you and bite my tongue.

I have to, or else I'd be banned, too. Is that bad?!

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast