Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default The Dirty Dog Jazz Cafe

I know this is 'just' outside Detroit, but I dropped into this joint to see a new musician friend Jef Reynolds play a set. We missed him by a few minutes, because apparently they close before the sidewalks roll up in Grosse Point...I guess the six pm start time should've been a hint...but we had to spend some time at Glenn's revival of the Music Menu spirit at the Harbor House Thursday night.

[[yeah, there'll be a thread about that soon, too)

It was good for me to be able to inspect their setup without a crowd...the Dirty Dog has some of the BEST room acoustic treatment and the most fabulous sound system I've EVER seen outside the Living Room in NYC.

Anyone who wants to hear some jazz in a relaxed setting, eating apparently GREAT food...if HourDetroit can be trusted...needs to check out The Dirty Dog on Kercheval in Grosse Point.
    Last edited by Gannon; March-06-10 at 12:59 PM. Reason: (one less 'but')

Each evening, there are TWO seating times, six and eight-thirty. It is not your usual jazz or blues bar...I had NO idea until visiting their website. Now I know why Jef told my friend Buddy Smith to get there at eight-thirty.

We are too casual and random in the city for this sort of thing...heh...but now that I know the rules I can make some accommodation.

I'm still laughing at the juxtaposition of having a place called the Dirty Dog in Grosse Point...but since they are having someone like of Stanley Jordan play there, this coming June, I am happy they are now on my radar screen.

I need to see that man play in near proximity...caught him at the Fox one year and he was purely dazzling.

Cheers