Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

View Poll Results: Where should I look for housing [[to buy)?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Indian Village

11 28.21%
  • Royal Oak

9 23.08%
  • Grosse Pointe[[s)

15 38.46%
  • Huntington Woods

6 15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    Ignorant, classist, and naive, all in the same post. Gee.
    And I thought DetroitDad was bad. Those previous posts beat anything he posted, hands down. We have a winner....

OK Gizmo, time to weigh in. What areas will you be looking at in your short window?

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    And I thought DetroitDad was bad. Those previous posts beat anything he posted, hands down. We have a winner....
    Awww, so sorry for not "keepin' it real..."

"Birmingham SUCKS A DUCK. Everyone there thinks they are cooler than they are. They think they are in fucking Beverly Hills, CA or something. They are soooooooo full of themselves..."

You don't think that reeks of classism? How the hell does Casscorridor know what's going on in the minds of people who live in Birmingham?

Buzzwords and catch phrases like "down to earth," "keepin' it real," "the hood," etc., are often just euphemisms for scenarios that include bad behavior, blight, and poor quality of life.

Being able to smoke a joint in public in Detroit is indicative of the city's liberal bent? Please!

And "Detroit is so much more open to homosexuality"??? Come on! Detroit's Baptist church establishment hates to admit it even exists! The church people [[some of the most influential in Detroit) have about zero tolerance for that lifestyle.

neighbor Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    Awww, so sorry for not "keepin' it real..."

"Birmingham SUCKS A DUCK. Everyone there thinks they are cooler than they are. They think they are in fucking Beverly Hills, CA or something. They are soooooooo full of themselves..."

You don't think that reeks of classism? How the hell does Casscorridor know what's going on in the minds of people who live in Birmingham?

Buzzwords and catch phrases like "down to earth," "keepin' it real," "the hood," etc., are often just euphemisms for scenarios that include bad behavior, blight, and poor quality of life.

Being able to smoke a joint in public in Detroit is indicative of the city's liberal bent? Please!

And "Detroit is so much more open to homosexuality"??? Come on! Detroit's Baptist church establishment hates to admit it even exists! The church people [[some of the most influential in Detroit) have about zero tolerance for that lifestyle.
    I think it was a reference to CassCorridors post.

Yeah, all of those rich trust fund folks north of 8-mile just sitting there in their fancy mansions in gated communities thumbing their noses at the hard working poor in Detroit while sucking all of the money out of the city. I bet they sneak into Detroit at night and vandalize the buildings just to make life tougher for the downtrodden.

Quote Originally Posted by neighbor View Post
    I think it was a reference to CassCorridors post.
    Yeah, probably so. Appropriate apologies to Stosh for flying off the handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Yeah, all of those rich trust fund folks north of 8-mile just sitting there in their fancy mansions in gated communities thumbing their noses at the hard working poor in Detroit while sucking all of the money out of the city. I bet they sneak into Detroit at night and vandalize the buildings just to make life tougher for the downtrodden.
    Shhhh.... that was a secret!

I don't know why Ravine was so hard on Casscorridor's initial post on 10 great, walkable neighborhoods in Detroit. I think Corridor's synopsis of those 10 neighborhoods was brilliant. Corridor knows the vast majority of neighborhoods in Detroit are not walkable and not desirable, because there are very few businesses to walk to and these neighborhoods are becoming more blighted and dangerous. His/Her comment about the suburbs not being walkable is not correct - Ferndale, Royal Oak, and even some of the "Pointes" are pretty walkable.

Just one thing I notice - forumers always talk about Ferndale, Royal Oak, Plymouth, and Birmingham being walkable suburbs, but nobody ever talks about Pontiac. It has a bigger downtown than all of those suburbs by far. Why the shafting of Pontiac?

Also, folks on this thread are talking about Sterling Heights, and Troy being the most diverse in the metro area, but probably the most diverse [[and the city with the highest population density) is HAMTRAMCK.

Also, suburbanite forumers love to talk about how suburban-in-layout the majority of Detroit is, but there are a good number of neighborhoods outside of Downtown and Midtown that were built much more urban than any suburb - the North End, Dexter-Davison, Palmer Park Apartments, Joseph Tireman, the Villages, etc. Detroit was no New York, but you could still easily walk to businesses in just about every neighborhood. Also, at its population peak, Detroit had a HIGHER population density than Pittsburgh, Washington, DC, and Baltimore.

Masterblaster! You back in town or still in Afghanistan?
    ---
    I agree with your above post. CassCorridor gave a very nice run down on the 10 neighborhoods in the city. Her post was well-written and organized, however I believe the backlash stemmed from her ensuing vitriol.

I don't live in Birmingham, but I know it has a great little downtown with a broad range of people and activities. It just does. It is not an opinion that within a half mile of Old Woodward and Maple one has several dozen restaurants, shops, and cultural activities. Its mix of shops, clubs, residences, movie houses and professional firms is very well balanced; and, in my opinion, has the best collection of businesses in SE Michigan. Plucky little Ferndale is nice, but it has 8 lanes of Woodward running through its heart; Royal Oak is fine and funky but the overheated bar scene/motorcycle revving makes downtown too noisy for me.

Moreover, the charge that Birmingham was somehow homophobic is a real head scratcher. The entire art scene, hair salons, interior design, ad shops and fashion boutiques are owned and operated by a very high profile gay community. To suggest somehow that Birmingham is not welcoming of homosexuals simply isn't true.

CassCorridor's easily refuted attacks revealed deeper issues she harbors for our neighbors to the north. I hope at some time in the future she can find some peace and become more inclusive and less rigid in her beliefs.

The Indian Village area is a great choice. The Village’s area is a great community, active both in the neighborhood and the city. The area has a huge variety of housing styles, huge historic mansions, new townhomes, small historic homes and riverfront apartments.

The Villages also seems to be growing in the right direction, Social Compact data shows that new homeowner income was 50% higher than average existing homeowner income. The neighborhood is only getting better.

Check out their website for more information. www.thevillagesofdetroit.com

Sorry, forum-goers -- I had an extremely busy week at work, and thoughts of checking up on my post just flew out of my mind!! I have some catch-up reading to do -- _thanks_ everyone for your posts -- and I'll try to be more active in the next couple of days. I look forward to reading every new one since my last post! Until then, signing off [[at AK time 1:23am)...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5