Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Who's going to Blowout?

Interesting that there's no thread about the Hamtramck Blowout. Anyone going? I saw some good music last night, and there are still two more nights of music to go.

I will be at Cafe 1923 tonight around 8 pm.

Sounds fun and exciting...more info on the blowout?

Don't forget to drop by Skipper's at 9735 Conant. Say hi mention the Forum to Skipper!!

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Interesting that there's no thread about the Hamtramck Blowout. Anyone going?
    I am. Just sucks that they're not selling one-day passes anymore.

I'll get a firsthand look at the Blowout tonight, as a performer. Should be fun.

I just got convinced to go, even at the last minute for full price.

We'll be seeing Skipper before we leave town.

Where is that Atlas and Whiskey-in-a-Jar with regards to him?!

Oh yeah, google is my friend...

Fucking Wow.

What a night.

So now I understand why they call it the Blowout.

We started the night at the Majestic, with some folksy original pieces with Michael Munerantz...a marvelous philosopher old-soul...then onto the Atlas [[where I caught a forumer guarding the door) for some curious punk-rock...leaving only when it got a wee bit violent...and finally...

...onto the Gates of Columbus hall to cap off the evening with the Millions of Brazilians, who single-handedly proved out the name of the weekend.

They had us moving as if their life depended upon it, with their frontman Nick just ruling the stage and crowd. Their final number welcomed a huge amount of their friends onto the stage, where a few folks grabbed the previous bands drumkit for added percussive effect!

It was a bizarre and amazing spectacle...and the most fun I've had in ages.

I was happy to see Jesse Shepherd-Bates in the middle of that crowd, he was one of my regulars when we did the 1923 Cafe Open Mic...and he's not been idle, saying another release party was imminent. This cat is one to watch.

Then we dashed across the street to catch Skipper before he closed, and bumped into John Lopez behind the bar! My friend knew him, too, launching her excitement and pleasure to a-whole-nother level. [[just as we were talking how we might top what we'd just experienced) Skip was a bit stressed, as expected at the end of a wild weekend, but a fine cap to the night.

We finished the morning at Duly's, making tonight perfect. This may have been the best one of the last few years...perhaps even more.

Many thanks to the folks at the Metro Times for making this happen again, now that I've gone I understand the furor. For everyone at the Majestic, Atlas, Gates of Columbus, and Skipper's...thanks for hosting and having us.

For the bands participating...fucking wow. We have something happening with live music here that should be shared with the world. I've got just the plan for it, too.

For the hoards of heavy music afficionados, it wouldn't be the same without rubbing elbows [[and guarding my beer and date) from your moshing selves.

Millions of Brazilians...seems Nick will be playing bass with my friends Sarena and Alyssa of the Body Holographic...this I simply cannot wait for, I'll be hounding them to witness a few practice sessions...and will do whatever I can to help them do their thang.

Cheers and more. Sleep will not be easily found...
    Last edited by Gannon; March-07-10 at 09:25 AM. Reason: (spelled Brazilian wrong, are you hep?)

Ravine Guest

"Sleep will not be easily found..."

It's under one of the couch cushions, with Jesus and satori.

And, Gannon? Like, dude, c'mon. Not even I say "cats."

I love you, Ravine.

I am what I am...

Just don't say "hepcat."

Even if that is what he IS?! Unfair, you language police are tyrants I say, TYRANTS.

It is time to bring back that old 50s phrase.

Are you hep?!

[[why the fuck am I awake?)

Ravine Guest

Well, actually, I still say, "hip," at times; even, "dig."
    Afterward, I always feel a slight blush of embarrassment.
    But "hep?" Or "cat?" Worse yet, "hep cat?" Nope, can't do it.

And, not to jack the thread [[although bringing this up may not be totally off-point, since music was involved in the topic,) but am I alone in believing-- as I always have believed-- that the only people who use the term, "pot," are folks who don't smoke it?
    Last edited by Ravine; March-07-10 at 10:32 AM.

Yanno, I'll only comply to NOT feel the wrath of your verbal baton beat-down...I'm just afraid what'll happen in my passive-aggressive psyche with the withheld word choices.

Watch for those unintended consequences!

Ravine Guest

OK, Mr. G., you win; I have no idea what the hell you meant by that.
    Get some sleep, fer chrissakes!!

We may have to nominate some words to add to the censored category:

Hepcat, Mint, Book, Truckin', ...

Sorry Ravine, I was running with that whole police meme.

Took it too far.

I got a few more hours of sleep, now to the sunshine.

Friend's got a van that needs a-fixin'. Wish me luck.

Cheers

Did Belmont, Whiskey, Baker's, Paychecks and Small's on Friday; New Dodge, Painted Lady, G of C and Small's on Saturday. I can't remember all the bands I saw but there were a lot of good ones, a few "meh" ones and a few that were really interesting and memorable. Silverghost and Los Minstrels del Diablo were standouts. That weekend kicked my ass!
    The only complaints are the lack of one-night passes, and the very limited wristband sales places this year. Twenty bucks is a lot in this economy if you're only going one night. In the past, you could buy your wristband at any of the venues. This year, I saw a couple go into New Dodge intending to buy wristbands and they were told they had to go to Detroit Threads several blocks up the street, which is a pain if you're already parked and ready to rock.
    Still, definitely one of the cooler events we have going on. It's like a mini-SXSW.

They need to exploit the Blow Out and schedule it when it is warmer out....

One day wrist bands would be an excellent idea too...

Blowout was really fun this year. I went to the pre-party at the Majestic [[Chapstik ruled), then I was at Small's the rest of the time except for early on Friday when my band played Painted Lady. Fun times all around.

They haven't sold wristbands for individual nights for a few years. I agree with that, and I understand why they do it. The reason you could only get wristbands at the Gates of Columbus Hall was to cut down on having volunteers have to handle money. I heard that Detroit Threads didn't have wristbands, just vouchers for wristbands and you had to go to G of C anyway - not confirmed, though. I think the organizers and the bands did a good job of getting the word out about that, even if it wasn't such a hot idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Don't forget to drop by Skipper's at 9735 Conant. Say hi mention the Forum to Skipper!!
    Thank you Kathleen. Your word of mouth is priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    I will be at Cafe 1923 tonight around 8 pm.
    I heard the Rapper a/k/a Rick Beall was going to perform at Skipper's this past weekend. Beall was a no show. Whaaaaaaa happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Mipade View Post
    They need to exploit the Blow Out and schedule it when it is warmer out....

One day wrist bands would be an excellent idea too...
    Mipade, I'm with you on both counts. Right on.

Overall, my experience with the blowout was good, not great. The bands were EXCELLENT, the patrons well behaved and fun, and the MT door staffers very friendly and professional. Communications with MT and staff were poor and there were lots of screw ups. After all is said and done, if MT has a communication/input process to avoid these hassles in the future, The Blowout might be worth doing again. I do like Mipade's ideas posted above.