Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Ambassador Bridge deck project set for May

This got lost yesterday in the flurry of news about I-94, but I thought it important folks know that the re-decking of the Ambassador Bridge is likely to begin in May. Looks like 2 years of lane closures.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...REE/100309907#

This could be interesting. I wonder if, due to the effects of "induced demand" there will be less traffic moving across the span. Or it could be a statistical outlier because it's not just a freeway. I often thought that his twinning would probably not only ease traffic but also probably induce even more demand. This would do the opposite.

I'll be checking for that very thing in the early summer -- does bridge traffic drop, while maybe the tunnel and ferry pick up? Maybe some folks decide not to cross at all for casual travel?

Ok. So essentially Moroun has been told he needs to start from scratch as far as applications for the new span. We all talk about this aspect so much, I have no idea what is going on with the DRIC bid. Does anybody know exactly where they are with their progress to getting a bridge built?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Ok. So essentially Moroun has been told he needs to start from scratch as far as applications for the new span. We all talk about this aspect so much, I have no idea what is going on with the DRIC bid. Does anybody know exactly where they are with their progress to getting a bridge built?
    There's this site that has some info: http://www.partnershipborderstudy.com/news.asp

Every party has pretty much given it approval except for Michigan. Last I knew, Michigan had until June 1st this year to approve or reject funding their share of the bridge project.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    My suggestion is to read Monday's Crain's to learn more ...

[[The Coast Guard terminated the application process, but haven't been clear on whether that means DIBC has to apply completely anew again, or can pick up the process at the same point once the litigation/land issues are settled).

Retroit Guest

I wonder if the original builders of the Ambassador Bridge had to deal with all the political harassment that Maroun has had to?

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    I wonder if the original builders of the Ambassador Bridge had to deal with all the political harassment that Maroun has had to?
    Yes. Which is one of the reasons that it eventually fell into private ownership. At this point, the DRIC is looking for private partners as well.

The funny thing is, for all of the contention between M-DOT and Moroun, they actually worked better together, on the Gateway, than they have apart. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    sorry, bub, but maroun's "harassment" has been of his own doing, from illegally siezing a public park, to illegally building approaches to his new span, to siezing a public street, to failing to abide by contractual obligations

'Moroun not giving up on 2nd span' is the head atop seven paragraphs by John Gallagher, posted shorty before 5 p.m. Friday by the Freep.
    “In this long journey, we have overcome bigger hurdles than this last one,” Stamper said in the statement, referring to the Coast Guard termination of the application for a permit. “Fortunately, the substance of our preparations and already-existing infrastructure and assets weigh heavily on our side.”

The statement did not expand on how Moroun might move forward on a second span. The possibilities include resolving all the legal disputes with the City of Detroit and the State of Michigan that ensnare the project. The Coast Guard told Moroun this week he could resubmit his application once it was clear he had secured all the property rights needed.