Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Appliance Stores

Where are some good appliance stores around Metro Detroit? Where do you buy your stoves, refrigerators, washing machines, dryers, etc, from? Where can you get a good price, quality, and helpful salespeople?

I am specifically looking for a new water heater. C_p is leaking all over the basement floor right now.

P.S.: Sorry if this is a duplicate thread. I didn't see it posted anywhere when I looked.

Thanks

When we lived in East Detroit we needed a new water heater and went to Sears. They have a good reputation with their appliances.

Sears, Home Depot, Lowes, all about the same for water heaters. If you are installing it yourself buy one the same height and with inlet and outlet connections that match the old one.
    For appliances watch the sales. ABC sales people are always ready to make a deal, don't pay the listed price.

hmm... anybody buy from Best Buy?

neighbor Guest

Everybody will pretty much match prices. Find the lowest price in an ad and take it where you want to go. Pick the place with the best sales people. I like Sears. My skin starts to crawl when I walk in to an ABC Warehouse.

Sears Home Depot and Lowes all are ridiculously expensive for hot water tanks. The budget 6 year 40 gallon natural gas starts at $339. If you plan on installing it yourself [[if you have any plumbing knowledge) run to Wyoming Plumbing on Wyoming north of Lyndon and get the same 40 gal nat.gas for 249. Be sure to buy a new gas ball valve [[usually 1/2", code required and your old one isn't all that safe) for half the price of the big box stores. The gas line will probably not line up as the industry moves those around every few years, if only by 22.5 degrees, but the hot and cold lines are the same. This is the cheapest way.

The correct way is to find a plumber who can PROPERLY [[emphasis added) install an on-demand tank. They must be vented properly, and can run as much as $2000 incl. installation, but the $50 you pay MichCon in the summer time is only to heat your water. Do the math, and within three years the thing pays for itself.

We got ours at Sears, installed it ourselves so I can't vouch for their installers. Avoid Best Buy - usually their salespeople know only the bare minimum of what's requried to sell something.

One thing to keep in mind - water heaters are one of the rare appliances where quality is directly proportional to how much you spend. The main difference between the cheap models and the more expensive models is the length of the warranty, and the more expensive models are designed to last longer as a result. You can tell by looking at them - the more expensive models are thicker, have more insulation, more heavy-duty fittings, more metal and less plastic. You get what you pay for, in this case.

Sears, hands down.

just replaced one too....sears [[macomb mall). competitive price and sales person very friendly. had a friend install it so i can't comment on their installers.

Sears was good when they had their own installers. Now, they just pimp the jobs out to contractors and you never know what you will get.

We have purchased appliances from several ABC warehouses. You can deal them down, especially if you are purchasing more than one thing. Some ABC's salespeople land on you like vultures and follow you around like bloodhounds...most unpleasant and makes me want to run out of there. Other locations have helpful people who don't do that. Novi store is good. Have had bad experiences with Home Depot, if they don't have the item in stock and have to order it...completely screwed up everything, and took weeks. And would not recommend using their installers for carpet. They subcontract it out and you don't know what you are going to get....had carpet installed that had to be re-stretched after a year. Sears is good, but it has been a while since we have purchased there.

ABC is cheaper then most, but they are not very knowledgeble. I was there for a dryer and the guy couldnt answer any question I had and seemed disinterested. I found a local mom and pop, paid $20 bucks more and had the drying in my van and home in 20 minutes.

Atlas Plumbing Supply 3439 Gratiot in Detroit. 313-579-2700. Good Luck.

I wouldn't go to Home Depot for a water tank. My old one went out a few years ago, I told my wife call the plumber we use [[ who is honest but not at all cheap ) She went to Home Depot instead. 850.00 later and I haven't had a really hot shower since.

Thanks to everyone for their input. Looks like Sears it is. I will go to Sears first and price a water heater. I will compare that with Atlas Plumbing and Wyoming Plumbing.

I would never consider ABC Warehouse even if they were the cheapest and most experienced. I had a bad experience there once and I refuse to shop at that establishment. Little would make me happier than to wake up one day and find out they went out of business.

Thanks again to everyone for their input!