Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default House Insurance Recommendations?

I just got my new rate for my house insurance and it went up almost 500 bucks. Anyone have any recommendations for an insurer based in Detroit that has good service and good rates? Thank You.

Wow! Check with AAA, they seem to be quite competitive lately. I live in Detroit and pay just over $600 a year.

Good luck!

Thanks Eastside, I will look into their rates. I don't have a car to insure just house. Does that rate you have tie into a car and house together?

Quote Originally Posted by mpow View Post
    Thanks Eastside, I will look into their rates. I don't have a car to insure just house. Does that rate you have tie into a car and house together?
    Yes, there is a discount because my car is insured with them. I don't think it would be that much more w/out the car though.

Call Rebecca at AAA - 313-343-5227.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

It’s always better to shop around with multiple quotes from at least 3 providers. Also, it works in favor if home insurance is clubbed with other insurance. Heard The Hartford provides competitive deals for home and auto insurance together.

I recently shopped around and AAA had the best rates I could find in Detroit.

My homeowner's insurance increased late last year, too. Just last week I was in the process of changing auto insurance and I asked about homeowner's insurance. I told my agent about the increase. The agent told me homeowner insurance recently increased in the Detroit area because of the number of vacant houses and the high risk of fires. The concern is a vacant house catches fire and fire spreads to adjacent homes. She also told me some insurance agencies no longer write dwelling fire policies in this area for the same reason.

I am with Allstate, good rates/good coverage for Detroit, at least for me. AAA has my car insurance. I do shop around every year.

I have combined AAA for my house, car, and vacation home. My house rate is $365/year for 850 square feet, brick, west side Detroit home. I have house alarm and credit union discounts.

The car rates are lower than GIECO, Progressive, State Farm.