Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Earthquake Frenzy

Within the last couple of months we've had quakes in Japan, Haiti, Chile and today in Taiwan.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia-...ake-escalation

Just to throw a little panic into the mix, I'd like to mention that the last time our own New Madrid fault gave us a big tug was from December 1811 till April of 1812.

It was so loud that people in Washington DC heard it, and so poweful it changed the route of the Mississippi River. Just to add to your daily worries you might want to check out the site below. It shows the current quakes for the New Madrid fault.

http://www.showme.net/~fkeller/quake/

There was a small quake in Oklahoma the other day..2.2...guess it isn't only tornados that comes wipping into the plains

1886 Charleston, SC Earthquake

This is NOT the New Madrid Fault

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1886_Charleston_earthquake

Ah Yes, more earthquakes means the Mayan cosmic purification bath will soon begin after December 23, 2012.

1. After all the planets aligned with the sun, the Earth will go through a slight polar shift.

2. The polar shift means the Earth's geomagnetic field will flip causing a depletion of ozone layer, puring dangerous UVA and UVB rays on everyone.

3. There will be a massive global volcano eruptions. Including the massive plume from the supervolcano from Yellowstone National Park. Pyroclastic Ashes and poisonous gasses will flow through the atmosphere causing everyone to choke and die.

4. There will be no place to run or hide.

5. Now everyone will die. The Earth will not die, just changing itself to new world for those who prepared.

Once all the continents shifted, the geomagnetic field flip back to its original position and the ozone layer close the black sky, life will go on, but it will not go on for anyone.

YAAAAYYY!!!!!!

Danny's online!!!!!!!

Retroit Guest

I wonder how long it will take before the liberals use these earthquakes to promote themselves. I'm sure Al Gore can come up with something. Let's see...the imbalance of CO2 emissions between the rich and poor countries is causing variable densities of air masses which is resulting in unequal distribution of forces of the tectonic plates. Therefore, all capitalists are evil because they drive SUVs.

How does that sound?

I heard on the radio the other day that this Chilean earthquake actually caused the earth to slightly increase its rate of rotation. I think that would mean some dense matter sunk toward the core decreasing the planet's moment of inertia like an ice skater pulling in her arms to spin faster.

Also they said there was a slight shift in the planet's axis but I think that happens all the time anyway.
    Last edited by Jimaz; March-04-10 at 07:02 PM.

I think these earthquakes are the result of all of Retroit's negativity accumulating in one forum in the Western/North Hemisphere.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    I think these earthquakes are the result of all of Retroit's negativity accumulating in one forum in the Western/North Hemisphere.
    Now that's a post I can get with.humorous and a bit sarcastic.I try to be a mugwump,and I'd like to think of myself on the conservative side,but these days,it's too embarrassing. The level of venom that is spewed from the right is amazing.If some of it actually had teeth,it might be a bit justified.

6.2 quake in Afghanistan last Sunday
    did you hear about it?
    no.
    squelched by the domestic media so that the White House won't have to deal with bad PR when the peace crowd starts questioning why our troops are still there in harm's way ....

I heard about it... I have the interwebs, I can read about things on the Gaurdian you know...

For anyone keeping score, Turkey got on the tally board with 6.0 trembler last night.

Best EQ web site: http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/ This gives you CA and NV.

Scroll down to click on quakes elsewhere in the US and around the world.

The Chilean earthquake caused Lake Ponchartrain [[north of New Orleans) to slosh 6 inches for half an hour.

It's roughly 4700 miles away!

Earthquake in Chile shakes Lake Ponchartrain

The 4.4 off Hawaii yesterday doesn't hardly seem worth mentioning.

This year may be as bad as 1906. In addition to the San Fran earthquake, there were numerous other events. An earthquake in the Caribbean [[est at 7.0-8.0) did severe damage on St. Lucia and Martinique. On Formosa [[island near Japan and China), an earthquake moved the ground 6-7 feet horizontally and 3-4 feet vertically. An earthquake in the Pacific off Ecuador and Columbia [[est at 8.4) did extreme damage and sent waves noticed in San Diego and Hawaii. There was also an earthquake in Chile [[est at 8.3).

Oh yes, Mt. Vesuvius also erupted that year destroying a few towns.

Ravine Guest

Well, it's apparent that at least one of them thar how you say tectonic plates has budged, and once that happens, the first earthquake is likely to be followed by others, so no sense of surprise [[or blowing of doomsday horns) is appropriate, really.
    All we can do is hope that the damned thing settles into place [[relatively speaking,) and soon.

california was hit with 4.4 rumblier this morning.