Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    neighbor Guest

Default DPS leader's bad writing: Wrong message? Column

Great column by Laura Berman.

Another reason why the DPS is what it is. There is not way this borderline illiterate should be in charge of anything related to education and yet he is the President of the DPS and was a counselor at WSU.

What a joke. It's people like this in these positions that make it so easy to pick on Detroit.

http://detnews.com/article/20100304/...Wrong-message?

Damn. Can he even read? Because I don't see how you can be a poor writer without also being a poor reader. President, huh? Just...wow.

So that's two special education students on the school board. With degrees. Nice.

The rest of the board have the same reasoning some folks do here: It's not a big deal. Precisely why DPS is in the fix it's in.

Great story of perserverance and will - Yes. Can the Board use a person with his experiences and leadership - Yes. Should someone at least raise the question in regards to his Presidency and communications - Yes. Will the person that raises that question [[if or when), be accused of racisism - Yes.......It is Detroit!

Exactly! "Reading" is the other side of good writing... I can't quote all the rules of grammar, but was always an excellent reader. And reading is one of the gateways to accurate writing to convey your thoughts and ideas accurately.

His inability to write should/ could have been privately addressed on a tutoring level years back, even post high school... There are many professional who have testified to private learning, and re-learning basics such as reading and writing...

Too bad he got to this point, and this far writing so poorly. You cannot be an administrator at any level [[especially in education) sending emails like this... Absolutely not.

Quote Originally Posted by Detwa View Post
    Damn. Can he even read? Because I don't see how you can be a poor writer without also being a poor reader. President, huh? Just...wow.

So that's two special education students on the school board. With degrees. Nice.

I don't see it as perserverance or will, in the article, it says that he actually waited until the English proficiency test was no longer required to graduate with a degree. Then he simply reapplied for the degree and received it. So he basically just waited them out and then got his way after all. He never mastered the requirements, in over 15 years. Perserverance would have been to get some tutoring or extra studying or whatever it took, and continue to take the test until you passed it legitimately. He took the coward's way out and got his degree through the backdoor.

I thought Wayne State was better than that. Why would you NOT have English proficiency as a requirement for graduation? He graduated high school with a .98 - why was he even admitted into any college? Maybe they need a "Bobb" to overhaul Wayne State too! Because I want to know who was grading his papers in college that they allowed him to pass! Apparently this isn't just a problem in DPS, its occurring at the college level too, and its truly disgraceful.
    Last edited by Detwa; March-04-10 at 09:50 AM.

Speaking of bad grammar, this sentence is on the front page of today's New York Times:

"A popular category of artificial hip devices are causing severe tissue and bone damage in some patients. Gregory Smith had to have an implant replaced after two years."

When I was a kid, we had to diagram sentences and learn grammar. Our boys are 22, 21, and 19 and they were not taught grammar in school. I think they call it whole language these days.

There is no substitute for writing that is clear.
    Last edited by Crystal; March-04-10 at 10:00 AM. Reason: fixed a typo...

Buy American Guest

"Do DPS control the Foundation or outside group? If an outside group control the foundation, then what is DPS Board row with selection of is director? Our we mixing DPS and None DPS row's, and who is the watch dog? "

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20100304/...#ixzz0hDg4cQZ9

That is absolutely shameful. He admits that he can't write an English sentence. It's obvious that he writes like he speaks. How did this man get to where he is today? Then the DPS has the nerve to go after the teachers because the students can't read or write...what a crock. Teachers are paying $500 a month to DPS out of their salaries to help DPS, and these illiterates are making policy...a disgrace.

A man who sued, to make Wayne State's requirements less stringent...is now head of DPS. Whew...

Crystal, agreed, I think there is a whole lost generation or two who were allowed to flounder around and use whatever sentence contruction felt right. Imagine if they taught math that way.

The special education aspect can be muddy waters [[as there are levels of aptitude and ability). I have worked in post secondary education and have had designated "special population" students who were special education at the secondary level who did very well.

They may need more time to take a given test, but I've had students in my college classes who wrote very well, and showed high aptitude to their field of study... in some cases it was hard to detect their specific cognitive issue or impairment.

There are also special ed students that may have been designated such only for and within one or two grades and went on to complete high school with the general population.

This integration is become more and more common, unless the cognitive and social issue is extreme......

Now some of the DPS board members.... well.... the jury is out on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Detwa View Post

I don't even know where to begin! Is this sending the wrong message? Would HELL YES be a strong enough answer? They want everyone to volunteer their time for the Reading Corp because it is crystal clear they can't help these kids read! I'm infuriated. I am one of the biggest believers in Detroit and hopeful that it can make a comeback [[in someone's lifetime), but after reading this article, I have some really strong doubts. When will this district learn that lowering standards is not helping anyone. It is hindering the future. The fact that he jokes [[I believe it said, "he chuckled") that he was kicked in and out of school and that he attended once a week, rather than every two weeks is absurd! His deficiencies were noted as early as the fourth grade, yet, he was still pushed through the system. Wow...just wow. The article also states, "he stayed at Wayne for 15 years, as a student and a counselor, becoming a virtual "prisoner of Wayne," as he jokes, unable to graduate", and for that he's in the position of Detroit School Board Chief? He spent time as a counselor? Who the hell did he counsel? He also spent time as a substitute teacher? Detroit, when will you get the big picture? When will all of us collectively see that lowering standards is not the damn answer. These kids need to be pushed. Mediocrity should not be acceptable. Wow.

Wow indeed.

So who wants to admit to voting for this guy? Some of y'all had to, he did get elected.

I'm going to volunteer with the Reading Corp since I want to help DPS Board members learn how to read.

Yikes. This is really disheartening. May God help us.

Yeah, I'm "no" grammarian [[ignore the bad lingo just used) and my typing is not that great, but the the "whole" language thing has ruined ability of many Americans to read and write. It should have been called "partial" language and writing.

Whole language as instituted was just a pycho-babblish, socially driven, codified and therefore authorized means of doing English "light". This er' "learning" and teaching method skips over the details required for adequate reading and writing. Thus, we have the poor writing you see daily in the media, news and elsewhere...
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    Speaking of bad grammar, this sentence is on the front page of today's New York Times:

"A popular category of artificial hip devices are causing severe tissue and bone damage in some patients. Gregory Smith had to have an implant replaced after two years."

When I was a kid, we had to diagram sentences and learn grammar. Our boys are 22, 21, and 19 and they were not taught grammar in school. I think they call it whole language these days.

There is no substitute for writing that is clear.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-04-10 at 11:00 AM. Reason: The usual typos.......

[[I am not making this up.)

I remember clearly when one of the boys was in [[maybe) first or second grade. Andrew brought home a writing assignment with a happy face sticker and two misspellings ignored. I mentioned it to the teacher. Her reply was that it was better for students' self esteem if the errors were not pointed out.

I think I finally understand what it means to have my blood boil!

Stosh Guest

People don't know who they really are voting for in these elections. As long as somebody has a minimum of name recognition, or they change their name to Reverend, they will get elected. I think people would elect pretty much anybody these days. And this is not just in the City proper either. The minor elective races are pretty much not researched by anybody.

Until these elective positions get the attention they deserve, the results will remain the same. It's hard enough to get people to vote on the major offices. Somehow these offices probably should be not elected, but perhaps appointed by council and the mayor? The education of the children should not be depending on the whims of a largely uncaring public.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    Her reply was that it was better for students' self esteem if the errors were not pointed out.
    Kids today have too much self esteem. Kids shouldn't have self esteem. Kids should realize that they are nothing but a sorry piece of crap. Then they need to be taught that, with a lot of hard work, they might someday become a useful member of society.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Kids today have too much self esteem. Kids shouldn't have self esteem. Kids should realize that they are nothing but a sorry piece of crap. Then they need to be taught that, with a lot of hard work, they might someday become a useful member of society.
    I hope you're being sarcastic, because that statement is not correct.

I agree with Hermod. A lot of children [[and adults) think they are special w/o doing a darn thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    I hope you're being sarcastic, because that statement is not correct.

Kids need self-esteem, granted. However, they do not need false sense of accomplishment. They should know that they have to work hard for anything they want, not just skate through with the bare minimum to graduate.

My 15 yr old grandson has not gotten good grades over the last few years. But he has it all figured out how he can take these minimal classes to make the minimal number of credits to graduate. And in the same conversation thinks he is going to get into U of M. I keep telling him to keep dreaming!

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    I agree with Hermod. A lot of children [[and adults) think they are special w/o doing a darn thing.
    Otis Mathis being one of them?

My cousin worked in a community college where they require a 2.0 to get a "full" athletic scholarship. It amazed [[and still amazes me) me how they couldn't even achieve the bare minimum. Then, at the 11th hour, they want concessions [[and a whole lot of hoop jumping by college staff) made so they can graduate [[and not lose their scholarship). When I was in school [[a bazillion years ago), it seemed like you could achieve a 2.0 just by showing up for class every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    My 15 yr old grandson has not gotten good grades over the last few years. But he has it all figured out how he can take these minimal classes to make the minimal number of credits to graduate. And in the same conversation thinks he is going to get into U of M. I keep telling him to keep dreaming!
    Tell him to go to Wayne State. Apparently you only have to spell your name right to get in there, just ask Otis Mathis. Actually, I wonder if he did spell his name right?

People who can't write well don't read well [[and probably can't think well). At the very least, people who don't read well shouldn't be managers.

I thought this part was particularly breathtaking in its condescension to Detroiters:

"I know he's a terrible writer. Oh wow, I've seen his e-mails," says Ida Byrd-Hill, a parent and activist who runs a nonprofit and is a member of Mensa, the high-IQ group. "His job, though, is to represent the community. His lack of writing skills is prevalent in the community. If anybody does, he understands the struggles of what it's like to go through an institution and not be properly prepared."

I will sort of give her the last point, about how he knows what it's like to be trapped in failing institutions. But the first part is just do dumb it's crazy. In other words, many in the community struggle with literacy issues [[given the state of the public schools, the underfunded library system, and the nation-wide trends in the wrong direction) so therefore he represents the community effectively as a semi-literate person. As someone with a dictionary could tell you, "to represent," in the sense of political representation, does not equate to "is the same as," but instead means "advocates for." Mensa my ass.
    Last edited by Melocoton; March-04-10 at 12:27 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast