Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: The Dog House

Default The Dog House

Who has thoughts and comments about this neighborhood institution , located north of State Fair, on Gratiot?

I used to love their coney's

Me too D! Loved em'.

Many fond memories of the old neighborhood. Amy Joy, Epps, Top Hat, Federals, Monkey Wards...

Went by the old house. What a shame/dump. People just don't give a darn anymore. Our culture has changed for the worse.

I miss Lennys Blues Delixe Cafe, that was right by the Dog House. We would go to Lennys after the bar closed. And drink out of coffee cups, beer, that is!

I have an old copy of Detroit Monthly magazine that contains an excellent article by Ric Bohy about a fight that took place in the Dog House parking lot one night back in '87. Two guys were shot and killed, the shooter [[or maybe shooters) did not get prosecuted. The article does a great job of summarizing the whole tragic incident from the perspective of the victims' families, the procesutor's office, the DPD and the shooters themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Who has thoughts and comments about this neighborhood institution , located north of State Fair, on Gratiot?

I used to love their coney's
    My regular Saturday lunch stop while collecting my Detroit Times route.

Greetings all! I've been a lurker but never a poster...until one of my favorite subjects came up. I started visiting the Dog House in the later 80's with a buddy that grew up on Rowe. Our usual Sunday morning ritual was mass at St. Raymond's and breakfast at the Dog House. The owner at that time was a great guy named Paul who kept all of the original recipies including the chili. I don't get there often anymore but I did have breakfast there on the way to opening day of the auto show...and the food was still great. I still miss the old white exterior, especially where the sign on the side of the building lost the "s" so it said "The Dog House teakburgers".

The Dog House was the best. I went there with my dad from the time I was a kid. The horrible remodel on that building is a crime.