Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Warren Evans : tough on crime or crossing the line ?

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...e--critics-say

Personally, I applaud the way Detroit Police is handling this !

Buy American Guest

Kudos to Chief Evans, it's about time someone cracked down on the criminals in Detroit.

Amen! It boils down to if your breaking the law your breaking the law. No more of this shit where you can joke about how "nobody stops for red lights in Detroit". Way to go Evans!

I have to agree with the above posters. While allegations of police abuse must be taken seriously, a more proactive form of policing is necessary to lower the crime rate. And it appears to be working. Civil rights are very important, but people also have a right not to be subjected to absurdly high crime rates.

I have no problem with this initiative. The stops will lead to some arrests for more serious crimes, and maybe it will cut down on the casual disregard we see for stop signs in this City.

Not surprised to see Ron Scott against this. The DPD could cure cancer and he would accuse them of taking jobs away from grave diggers.

Desperate times, desperate measures.

It's worth noting that this kind of crackdown is widely credited with reducing New York's crime rate to a level below that of many small towns. Hail to the chief.

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    Desperate times, desperate measures.
    took the words right out of my mouth... making the city safer is step one.

Since when is enforcing the law crossing the line?

I recall being pulled over by the Detroit Police in the early 70s for my rear license plate light being burnt out. PC Evans is trying to remove as many guns from the street as possible. I applaud his efforts in making Detroit safer by doing so.

I like it. If people are breaking the law they should be stopped and checked out.

I'm all for stops on small offenses that may lead to arrests on other charges. Some people may bitch it is like a police state [[which is silly since people are stopped for legal reasons) but the city needs to implement strict standards like this

I am feeling STRESSed.

I'm all for it. Hell, I'd support it if the only reason for the traffic stops was to get people to quit running stop signs.

What I do find interesting though is the unanoumous support this police action seems to be getting. Especially amongst non city residents. Right now, supporting law and order in the city fof Detroit seems like a popular idea. Not exactly the response I recall from last year when the cops busted the after hour party goers at the Contemporary Art Institute. Common thought when suburbanites were staring down the working end of a department issued Glock seemed to be that the police department needed to spend more time chasing robbers and murderers and not harassing citizens for "minor technocalaties".

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldj View Post
    I am feeling STRESSed.

No way can this be compared to Stress. Stress was racist towards blacks, when the police force was 98% white. I remember walking to the store with a friend, about 1970 or 71 and being stopped and searched for no particular reason, by four corn-fed, 6'4 250 pound white officers riding in a all black 69 Plymouth Fury, with gold Detroit Police letters written on the doors. I believe they were called the "Big Four" back then. All they did was terrorize young black men. Glad they were abolished a few years later. I can understand cracking down on crime after the 67 riots, but Stress took it to another level. Can't remember what the acronym was for Stress, can anyone enlighten me?? I think the last 3 letters mean't "enjoy safe streets".
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; March-04-10 at 04:24 AM.

Stop The Robberies, Enjoy Safe Streets

Finally someone gets it!

Funny story from Charlie LeDuff today on this theme:

http://detnews.com/article/20100304/...breaker-a-time

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by texorama View Post
    Funny story from Charlie LeDuff today on this theme:

http://detnews.com/article/20100304/...breaker-a-time
    Interesting perspective. I applaud the efforts.

Correct me if I am wrong, but in most jurisdictions having defective equipment is not PC to search a vehicle, unless of course, a cloud of dope smoke rolls out of the window or an open container or other contraband is clearly visible inside the vehicle. This policy is no different than the DWB stops that the GPP PD makes on Mack Ave. This program is nothing more than a "photo op" for Evans and Jones. It is painfully obvious that Evans has an agenda to get himself elected Mayor - Enforcing the law is commendable [[and expected) but violating civil rights [[a.k.a. breaking the law) in the process of furthering one's political aspirations is not.
    I still love that "photo op" of Evans poised outside a doorway with his gun pointed up in the air.....That's how "TV" cops might enter a building but not how trained, competent professionals would. I hope that Jones is smart enough not to let Evans have any bullets when they are out playing "Batman and Robin".

BTW, I am a CoD resident and have encountered many guns during the course of my career and fully support the removal of illegal guns from the streets by LEGAL means.

Quick! Check out detroituncovered.com for a photo of our "top cop" demonstrating how NOT to handle a loaded weapon. I rest my case.

Although I am a little bit left-of-center politically I do support stringent law enforcement. Crime is part of the reason so many US cities are crap places to live and so many people live in the suburbs. I am happy to see that Evans is stressing enforcement.

I am not a fan of ticket quotas though. But enforcement of existing laws does help maintain an improved quality of life.

Quote Originally Posted by shovelhead View Post
    Stop The Robberies, Enjoy Safe Streets
    Thx, Shovelhead, had a brain fart and couldn't remember. Well, I got part of it right.

Thanks for the heads up I have a tail light that is broken. Some idiot hit my car parked on the street in the middle of the night. I had it taped with red cellophane [[which is street legal) but it blew off. Will retape today.

Retroit Guest

But Ron Scott, director of the Detroit Coalition Against Police Brutality, said Evans' approach could lead to racial profiling or other abuses. "What do they deem suspicious -- young African-American men who happen to be driving in a high-crime area?" he said.

Maybe a Detroit Coalition Against Criminal Brutality would be more beneficial, along with a realization that the accusation of racial discrimination in a predominantly black city doesn't work anymore.

Sorry, but I just can't let this one go.

Memo to Chief Evans:

Want to get illegal guns off the streets? How about raiding the numerous dope houses that are in almost every neighborhood. You will probably net more guns in one raid than you will by stopping and illegally searching 20 vehicles. Oops! I forgot - That would make the dope man mad and, after all, he runs the DPD, not you. So, grow a pair and try it - Oops! - I forgot - The dope man also owns you!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast