Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default House fire on Bangor

My heart winces a bit whenever the life of an innocent child is cut short.
    Found an interesting google map image of the home that burned on Bangor last night.

I found the juxtaposition of two really nice Suburbans parked outside of this rat trap to be a bit disturbing. I know-I know this image isn't current and the recent "occupants" moved in just this past December, but I have a feeling this might be indicative of the neighborhood.

Three children die in a fire,two or three more of them are in hospital. A mother will grieve the loss of her young ones forever. An older brother more likely than not will be haunted for years to come at not being able to save all his siblings yet you're intrigued by 2 vehicles former tenants[[?)parked in front of the home?
    Wow
    Last edited by trotwood; March-03-10 at 09:29 PM.

There is more to this story than "DTE has blood on their hands". Waiting to hear more about the landlord situation.

As for the children, my heart broke to hear about the deaths & injuries. They were too young to be left alone, unable to protect themselves [[and probably too young to know proper fire safety without an adult present). Rest in peace.

PS- Those suburbans pictured, which may have nothing to do with anything about this story, were "really nice"?

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by REL View Post
    There is more to this story than "DTE has blood on their hands".
    What are you referring to? Has someone actually blamed DTE?

From what I heard, DTE discontinued service because there was an illegal hook-up. The landlord, or his handyman, reconnected the illegal hook-up and provided a space heater. The residence had trouble getting the space heater to work and left the children home alone to go buy more space heaters. In my opinion, the only party not at fault was DTE.

Quote Originally Posted by hamtown mike View Post
    I found the juxtaposition of two really nice Suburbans parked outside of this rat trap to be a bit disturbing. I know-I know this image isn't current and the recent "occupants" moved in just this past December, but I have a feeling this might be indicative of the neighborhood.
    Both Suburbans are pre-2000 vintage. So how exactly is a decade [[or more) old car disturbing?

Quote Originally Posted by courtney View Post
    Both Suburbans are pre-2000 vintage. So how exactly is a decade [[or more) old car disturbing?
    The Chevrolet Suburban and [[especially) the Mercury Marauder are cars that's been relatively popular among the young thugs lately.

Sorta like in the late 1990s, the Chevrolet Caprice was popular among them
    Last edited by 313WX; March-04-10 at 06:56 PM.

Why does the original poster put the word "occupants" in quotes?

This sickened me. So many young lives placed at serious risk because of the cycle of poverty leading to these deplorable conditions. The worst case I ever heard of happened in 1981 and you absolutely could not make this up. A 28 year old single mother in East St. Louis, IL whose house burned down killing 11 of her 12 kids one night while she was "out". She was 3 months pregnant at the time of the fire. Some kids never have a chance.

neighbor Guest

I still don't see how all those people picketing outside of DTE headquarters honestly think this is DTEs fault even though the mother is being charged.

It's not like they shut it off. It was never on.

DTE gives most people a pretty long leash when it comes to paying bills. I bet the lady who's children died in the fire was already at the end of hers and that's why she didn't even try to get it turned on in her name in THE FALL!!!! She has been there for months.

I guess it will be up to all of us who pay our bills every month to subsidize everyone who steals power or just does not feel like paying their bill. Oh, Wait.....WE DO.

neighbor Guest

Maybe this was her landlord. How could she pass up the "homeboy hookup"?

http://gothamist.com/2009/05/21/vide..._off_craig.php

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    Sorry, I should have said that quote came directly from the article [[not my words):

"DTE has got blood on their hands," said LaTonya Jackson, 42, who approached a makeshift memorial..."

DTE is to blame because DTE is the only one that has money they can go after.....

As much as my heart hurts for this woman losing her children in the fire - and I realize that now is not the time to point fingers, but since they're already firing shots - the reality is that all of the blame is hers, and none of this would be a discussion if they weren't organizing protests and placards and yelling about DTE being murderers. I wonder how many of those people picketing really understand the issue here? They kept talking about DTE shouldn't turn off the heat of poor people in the winter, but do they understand that she had an illegal hookup in the first place? They kind of reminded me of people still sitting around talking about how Kym Worthy should leave Kwame alone "just because he cheated on his wife".

There are so many things wrong with this whole sad case, and I won't even sit here and analyze it, but DTE has no blame in this whatsoever. Sadly, I don't think this woman will ever understand any part she played in the entire chain of events, and I'm not just talking about the fire, I'm talking about all of the moves she made in her life to get to the fire.

The whole thing is tragic and pragmatically speaking DTE has the deep pockets for someone to litigate against or attempt to, but it was the illegal hookup that the company has to dismantle [[these hook ups have been known to start fires and cause electrocutions) when discovered and the leaving the kids at home alone that is the issue and blame. There are going to be more "illegal" connections and the like, and more tragedies...
    Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post

From what I heard, DTE discontinued service because there was an illegal hook-up. The landlord, or his handyman, reconnected the illegal hook-up and provided a space heater. The residence had trouble getting the space heater to work and left the children home alone to go buy more space heaters. In my opinion, the only party not at fault was DTE.

Well stated... Yeah there are still people walking about in zombie state wondering why Kwame was caught a "case" as he was just "cheating on his wife". They don't get the bigger corruption related to all of that and beyond or the diversion of funds and tax payed resources therein, even with the newest corruption coming forth from the KK dynasty.

Moving on the main point: this tragedy was the perfect storm of events and CHOICES! I'm not fan of the high utilities rates -- I do the budget plan paying the same amount all year long so as to not have high spikes in my bill in the winter -- it's just part of life. This tragedy is hard to deal with and some of the folks yelling "DTE is the blame" are just responding from the low-handing fruit "blame the greedy corporation" position which is from some is the DEFAULT position.

It is simply easier to blame DTE, thus we see the protest, and the momentum going forth, in the short term. But it is not going to go anywhere in so much as the source of the shut off they [[DTE) will be able to justify due to illegal usage. They may even present the position that THEY will not FINE the family for illegally installing the connection... Yes, that would be an ugly response, and for PR they will probably not go there, but they could!

In the meantime this temporary "protest" salve and seeming ring of support will not heal the wounds and hurt and regret this woman will endure when the protesters and sign wavers are not around... down the road. This family needs healing on so many levels, beyond what any amount of moneys that could ever be litigated that cannot replace those innocent children's lives...
    Quote Originally Posted by Detwa View Post
    As much as my heart hurts for this woman losing her children in the fire - and I realize that now is not the time to point fingers, but since they're already firing shots - the reality is that all of the blame is hers, and none of this would be a discussion if they weren't organizing protests and placards and yelling about DTE being murderers. I wonder how many of those people picketing really understand the issue here? They kept talking about DTE shouldn't turn off the heat of poor people in the winter, but do they understand that she had an illegal hookup in the first place? They kind of reminded me of people still sitting around talking about how Kym Worthy should leave Kwame alone "just because he cheated on his wife".

There are so many things wrong with this whole sad case, and I won't even sit here and analyze it, but DTE has no blame in this whatsoever. Sadly, I don't think this woman will ever understand any part she played in the entire chain of events, and I'm not just talking about the fire, I'm talking about all of the moves she made in her life to get to the fire.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-05-10 at 05:40 AM.

Yep, any diversion helps for a while..... Also on an emotional level it takes the responsibility off of others, but that salve is temporary I am sad to say... I've lost a family member to a house fire that was an electrical outlet issue [[nothing to do with utilities being shut off) and it is very painful to deal with in the immediate and down the road........
    Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    DTE is to blame because DTE is the only one that has money they can go after.....
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-05-10 at 05:50 AM.

neighbor Guest

So, now a fund is being set up for the family. Hopefully, [[but probably not) it will be as a trust where only the kids can get to it and only after they turn 18.

DTE is not to blame for those deaths....the mother is. You NEVER leave your kids alone like that, for any reason. Her friend explained to the news that she was going to the $1 store to get 2 more space heaters [[ and they would be good ones too wouldn't they? ) and that fact made it ok to leave them by themsleves. I even heard her mention something about the one the landlord brought to them was "taped". So you decide to leave your kids alone, and it doesn't matter for how long, with a faulty space heater?! Incredible........she is the one with blood one her hands.

Quote Originally Posted by neighbor View Post
    So, now a fund is being set up for the family. Hopefully, [[but probably not) it will be as a trust where only the kids can get to it and only after they turn 18.
    I think the fund was set up for funeral/burial expenses only, at least that was my understanding. If the contributions don't cover everything, the funeral home usually will do the rest free and a cemeteries often give free plots, especially in high profile cases like this.