Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lionel trains

Default Lionel trains

Ive recently acquired my grandfathers set of old Lionel trains.
    I plan on setting these trains up in my house, and although I have all of the original instructions, Id still like to see if there are any newer manuals, as well as equipment, scenery etc.
    Does anyone know of shops that would have a lot of resources for O gauge train models? Most places Ive seen have mostly HO.

There is [[was) a model train place at the corner of Carol Lake Rd. and Union Lake in Oakland County. I'm not sure if it's still there or if they sell what you're looking for, but it might be a place to get more info.

Maybe Joe's Hobby Shop in Farmington.

Great Lakes Hobby & Train
    43089 Van Dyke Avenue
    Sterling Heights, MI 48314

It just moved to this location. Huuge selection last time I was in.

P & D Hobby Shop on Groesbeck and Utica Road in Fraser...right next door to OakRidge market...specializes in old trains. They have LOTS of stuff and the owners are extremely knowledgeable. Also Great Lakes Hobby on Van Dyke in Utica...betw 21 & 22, I think, but don't quote me on it.

Quote Originally Posted by TWDPres View Post
    Ive recently acquired my grandfathers set of old Lionel trains.
    I plan on setting these trains up in my house, and although I have all of the original instructions, Id still like to see if there are any newer manuals, as well as equipment, scenery etc.
    Does anyone know of shops that would have a lot of resources for O gauge train models? Most places Ive seen have mostly HO.

You might want to call the Detroit Model Railroad Club http://www.dmrrc.org/ and see if they can provide any information.

Thanks for the ideas

Find an O Gauge yahoo! group. I a member of the "S-Trains" [[for S Gauge) yahoo! group. The folks there have been very helpful with my questions regarding my dad's old American Flyer set.

The local hobby shops listed are good resources, Nankin just opened a great hobby shop at 9 mile and Farmington in Farmington. Get an issue of "Classic Toy Trains" at any Borders or Barnes and Noble, that magazine addresses O gauge collectors and operators, in addition to Standard and S gauge, but mostly O gauge.
    Scenic express http://www.scenicexpress.com/ has a lot of scenery making supplies. You can't kill an old Lionel, you basically need to have a clean motor [[I can bet yours is dirty, they all get that way) have fresh oil [[after cleaning) and good brushes. Do that and it will run for 70 more years. There are swap meets, unfortunately they are usually held in the fall and deep winter months. A great guy by the name of Ray Nickoli organizes those meets, they are usually held in Catholic school buildings in the metro area.
    There are some ready-to-build O scale kits and assembled buildings you can get at the hobby shops or over the internet. There is more available now than at any time, thanks to Dick Kughn--he rescued Lionel from General Mills in the 80s, built up the offerings that Lionel produced and re-awakened the dying O scale gauge.

O-scale magazine is good too-- http://www.ogaugerr.com/

You're bound to have better luck with train clubs and organizations than you are toy retailers. Most retailers will carry current stock, and not include resale or secondary market [[old) items, unless they sell antique toys.

To paraphrase a former president.... that's where "the Google" comes in handy...

Altough I have not been there in awhile Merri-Seven Trains in Livonia [7&Merriman] might be of help. I too acquired some Lionel trains about 20yrs ago, would like to get them running one day myself.

See if you can find a copy of Classic Toy Trains magazine. Kalmbach publishes it [[the Model Railroader folks) and it contains a wealth of information about Lionel trains.
    http://www.trains.com/ctt/

Lionel is based in Chesterfield Township. Log on to Lionel.com.

Also, contact the Detroit Historical Museum. They are the repository of the Glancy collection of model trains and should have information that can help you.

Toolbox Guest

WIld Bills Trains on Grosebeck. Large selection of new and vintage, they also offer repair service. P&D is good too with a very good vintage service department.

I have spent many a paycheck at both locations.

Ah, me, Lionel trains.

Ray1936 about 1951. When I got married and moved out, Mom gave them away. I never forgave her.

Last edited by Ray1936; January-26-10 at 08:41 PM.

Tony's Lionel trains and mower repair. 5 mile rd. West of Haggerty, Northville Townshop

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    ... Also Great Lakes Hobby on Van Dyke in Utica...betw 21 & 22, I think, but don't quote me on it.
    No, see MDoyle's post for the new address. They moved a few years ago. That place really is enormous.

The Gratiot Valley Railroad Club has a huge train show where you can buy lots of train engines, cars, layouts, accessories, etc. They usually have a couple shows a year in Warren. Here is their website: http://www.gvrr.org/

Toolbox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    You're bound to have better luck with train clubs and organizations than you are toy retailers. Most retailers will carry current stock, and not include resale or secondary market [[old) items, unless they sell antique toys.

To paraphrase a former president.... that's where "the Google" comes in handy...

You are dead wrong on retailers not supporting the vintage and/or service Lionel market. I can got to at least 10 retailers in the metro Detroit are that will service my vintage trains.

You might want to use that Google thing you speak of.

P & D Hobby Shop on Groesbeck and Utica Road in Fraser and Whistle Stop Hobby & Toy, Inc on Harper in St Clair Shores are two very good rescources. I also bought a bunch of my Lionel stuff on Ebay. Typically considerably cheaper than buying at the store.

Good thing for threads like this, I haven't been this hyped up to mess with my trains since the big train show at Cobo almost 2 yrs ago.

Another good spot for Lionel is The Whistle Stop on Harper in St. Clair Shores. Bob is on duty on Mondays and is very helpful.

eBay offers a lot of guides and books, too. I am up to 4 tracks, 125 locomotives and 350 rolling stock for my HO set-up, going back to the late 60's [[ Fleischmann), but certainly very much "enhanced" in recent years due to some really great buys found on eBay.

Lionel is now out of bankruptcy, the multi-million dollar judgment against it by MTH reversed by the Federal Court of Appeals and the litigation now settled. The appellate decision makes for fascinating reading, but the good thing is that Lionel may prosper again. Competition is fierce among the different manufacturers, but that Lionel name is golden.

Oh yes, enjoyed Ray36's photo at the controls of his old system. Powerful transformers made those trains move. I share your pain '36 in the loss of your Lionel, recalling that I sold my Schwinn Phantom for $35 back in the early 50's and it's probably worth more than my '95 Monte Carlo now.

Another good resource is E-Bay.

As an example, E-Bay is a great way to get an idea on that your particular train is selling for.

Once on E-Bay put in Lionel plus the number that appears on your engine.

As an O gauge train collector/operator most of what I but and sell is done on E-Bay.

Ken

I'll second the recommendation for Whistle Stop in St. Clair.

Here's their page on O-Scale stuff:
    http://whistle-stop.com/store/depart...26-027-Scale-/

Plus it's just a great place to check out on a weekend.

Funny how no one has mentioned that depending on how old your grandfather was/is and the age of his trains and if they are in mint condition, you could be sitting on a goldmine! Don't be so quick to just set them up and run them. Do a little research to see what you have. And be careful of other collectors that offer to take your "box of old junky trains" for $50 dollars. A Hell Gate bridge can be worth $800 -$1200 dollars....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast