Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit a Hotbed of Cool Art ... Ah yes

It's a great opportunity for those willing to think outside the box and sieze it.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1483468/

Good article. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. It demonstrates the role of art as a catalyst in bringing people back into the City.

Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post
    Good article. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. It demonstrates the role of art as a catalyst in bringing people back into the City.
    As long as they're not "philistines," presumably.

Nah, they're all philadelphians.

Not totally accurate but a decent article non the less. I think the description of the New Center area was maybe a tad post apocalyptic, and the quote by Mitch Cope and a lack of social awareness by the Ice House people was way off, in that they did many projects while in the city. But those are all minor complaints in an overall good article.

Michigan Guest

Great f----g article! Detroit is the next Soho or Williamsburgh or Silver Lake! Detroit is poised to blossom into a tremendous art center, not because some has been curator or dealer says it should be [[they are all in cahoots) but because it is a force of nature that is drawing the creative of the world as we speak. The same power that summoned Ford is beckoning the next Picasso to do it again. In Michigan!

In a short time the suburbanites [[and u no who u r) will be scrambling to attach their identities to the city that towers head and shoulders above their pidly podunk towns- Royal Oak? Windsor? Pointes? Farmington? Romulus? Wyandotte? I don't think so buddy. You had to believe when things were darkest to hitch a ride on this bandwagon.

Default Good article

Found this most interesting, a very cool article finally, on postivie energy and what it can do for a city. The best thing is its happening here,,

Ive noticed lots of artsy art on buildings in my travels through the D. We have some great artists in our midsts...I got turned on to Audrey Pongrancs art noir when I stumbled upon her booth at the peoples art festival in Russel Industrial Center a couple years back..got some of her stuff in my apt..

And for once it's not manufacturing. I'm glad to see Detroit branching out into something on the slightly more intellectual end as opposed to factories. There can be creative field jobs that can sustain this area. Very nice article. There were a few things I didn't know about Midtown in it.

Detroit does have a lot of things that attract artists, but it is short of two things that most artists need. Art buyers and second jobs.

That being said, most artists don't live off their art, so if you can find the second job, Detroit is a good place to make art.

Detroit does have a lot of things that attract artists, but it is short of two things that most artists need. Art buyers and second jobs.
    True, but you dont need to slave away like you do in other cities to make rent. It's so cheap to live in Det if you do things right.

Couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by terryh View Post
    Ive noticed lots of artsy art on buildings in my travels through the D. We have some great artists in our midsts...I got turned on to Audrey Pongrancs art noir when I stumbled upon her booth at the peoples art festival in Russel Industrial Center a couple years back..got some of her stuff in my apt..
    Terry, You have good taste in art because you know what you like and you BUY it. That supports the arts more than a patronizing post. Getting back to Audrey, her last name is Pongracz. Her "stuff" is called paintings, maybe some dolls. Her work has been showing up on some west coast art gallery web sites. Keep on keepin' on.

Art is one of my favorite agents of change.

Terry, You have good taste in art because you know what you like and you BUY it. That supports the arts more than a patronizing post. Getting back to Audrey, her last name is Pongracz. Her "stuff" is called paintings, maybe some dolls. Her work has been showing up on some west coast art gallery web sites. Keep on keepin' on.
    Ive noticed bags in her booths also..she sells prints if you cant afford the paintings and frames..also if you are on a budget or just plain frugal I think it is, if possible better to purchase a piece directly from the artist as opposed to buying at an art gallery...

Generally speaking, it's more to the buyer's advantage to buy directly from the artist, than it is for the artist. The middle man is eliminated, the art gallery. However, an artist marketability is determined by what prices they can command via an art gallery. The artist won't get an offer for an art gallery show unless they have had some exposure and success in the art market via the galleries.