Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: CPOP is TOAST

Default CPOP is TOAST

Anybody hear this yet ? My peeps tell me they close doors in July, and have announced this publicly.

Not happy to see another gallery go out of business - but absolutely I hate the owners of this place, so they can take their hillbilly asses right back to Southgate where they came from.

OH NO ! What will Niagara do for work now ?

lmao

I agree completely. I hate to see a gallery go, but C Pop is passed their prime. They never moved beyond the "Contemporary Kitsch" craze. There is life outside of Juxtapose Magazine.
    But their space is beautiful and I hope some other [[better) gallery moves in there.

Actually, my friend who manages there was talking to me about this decision a few weeks back. CPOP is not going out of business, but they are closing up their physical shop. CPOP will absolutely still be around though, via the internet and what not, and they will still have a presence in Detroit's art scene. Don't worry, this isn't another loss in Detroit's chapter!

Mauser, you're funny. I couldn't have said it better.

You guys don't like hipsters drinking champagne and listening to Stun Gun?

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    You guys don't like hipsters drinking champagne and listening to Stun Gun?
    only when they're bi-curious lads who're giving beard growing the old college try.

detmich Guest

CPOP seems okay to me. I don't know why any of you would hate it so much. Closing the doors, no matter what rationalization is given, is a net loss for Detroit.

I can appreciate the humor, but it is not good news. Hipsters in downtown sure beat stay-at-homesters the burbs.

Running a gallery and just breaking even is next to impossible even in the best of times. Many have sugar daddies [I have heard that was CPOP's case] and others are run by idealists on next-to-nothing budgets in marginal locations, much like the countless storefront churches that dot the city. Together they have done much for the Detroit art scene.

It will be a loss to that nice little stretch of Woodward with the Majestic, Union Street and the Magic Stick. I can't imagine anyone continuing that space as an art gallery at the level CPOP did. But, then, who knows?

Retroit Guest

"...so they can take their hillbilly asses right back to Southgate where they came from..."

Wow.

The Spirit of Detroit lives on. The Perfection of Bigotry.

detmich Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    "...so they can take their hillbilly asses right back to Southgate where they came from..."

Wow.

The Spirit of Detroit lives on. The Perfection of Bigotry.
    Sounds more like sour grapes. I think someone had their proposals shot down by the gallery one time too many for comfort.

If you are Pro-Detroit, how can you cheer a business closing up shop? I just returned from visiting another large city and drove downtown for some lunch and the contrast was enormous. Does anyone realize how much of a ghost town Detroit has been or is becoming? I may not like certain establishments in my community but I do understand they are part of the fabric that sustains it.

Thank you Lowell!!!!

naw - I made quite clear that it is a shame that Detroit has lost another gallery.

"proposals shot down" - no, Ive never worked as an illustrator in my life, and as such would have little use to show anything in that particular gallery. Not like its some mystical thing, give them money and they hang your piece.

I dont like the owners because.....I dont like the owners. Pretty simple. I know - I know, exhibiting independent points of view on a forum is complete taboo.

I am not happy that another Detroit gallery is gone, I am just happy that these specific people have failed.

Is that nice ? Nope. Fuck em.

And what is going to replace it? What gallery will take over if any? I don't think this is good news at all.
    But then I can't help but think of the Richard Florida psychophants and what it will do to the so-called creative class he touts so often. I thought they were going to save us all?

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    And what is going to replace it? What gallery will take over if any? I don't think this is good news at all.
    But then I can't help but think of the Richard Florida psychophants and what it will do to the so-called creative class he touts so often. I thought they were going to save us all?
    I guess they're too cheap or too broke to support the arts. Apparently they need the non-creative class [[people who make good money) to support them.

detmich Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    naw - I made quite clear that it is a shame that Detroit has lost another gallery.

"proposals shot down" - no, Ive never worked as an illustrator in my life, and as such would have little use to show anything in that particular gallery. Not like its some mystical thing, give them money and they hang your piece.

I dont like the owners because.....I dont like the owners. Pretty simple. I know - I know, exhibiting independent points of view on a forum is complete taboo.

I am not happy that another Detroit gallery is gone, I am just happy that these specific people have failed.

Is that nice ? Nope. Fuck em.
    Seems like this exhibit is all photographers, no illustrators at all. But what do I know?
    The Seduction of Art at the C-Pop Gallery. On April 17 and 18 The Midwest Society of Erotic Photography will exhibit works by a number of notable names

gravitymachine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    I dont like the owners because.....I dont like the owners. Pretty simple.
    oh, yeah, pretty simple for sure. you have a personal vendetta that is somehow being validated by a completey coincidental turn of events.

This is sad on one level, but the real tragedy is at a slightly higher level. Go to any downtown that's doing reasonably well - Portland, Boston, Denver, Toronto - and if you spend enough time you'll see that businesses and creative places come and go all the time, usually slowly enough over time that it never looks like a catastrophe, but still constantly changing. It hurts when you lose a personal fave, but it's as constant as the changing of the tides.

Where we have fallen down over the past, shit, half-century now is that we have so much more "go" than "come". Far too often, a place closes down, and nothing comes in to fill the void. Many threads on this web site have been forums for the discussions of the causes of this problem, so I won't repeat all of that here. My point is that the larger bummer isn't that we're losing CPOP, but that we're losing something creative and it's as likely as not that nothing will come in to replace it.

Ideally the best way to have forced C-POP out of existence would've been to have had a bigger, better gallery just outwork & out hustle them by showing better art, be more inclusive, and just being a better space.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitymachine View Post
    oh, yeah, pretty simple for sure. you have a personal vendetta that is somehow being validated by a completey coincidental turn of events.
    huh ?

No vendetta, just personal dislike - which I am entitled to. And it is a fact that anything I have said here about the owners, I have said right to their faces word for word.

Yep yep - pretty damn simple.

My nastiness is not the point though. What is left these days ? 555 is scrambling to stay alive after losing their building, Zeitgeist is gone. MOCAD is....Well, Im not even really sure what MOCAD is. Not exactly a gallery, not exactly a museum.

Its a grim time for art galleries, flat out.

LodgeDodger Guest

Mauser, your happiness at another's bad luck is off-putting. We're experiencing some of the worst times ever. To hear someone who is almost giddy about a gallery's failing is very sad.

And here I was hoping, from reading the thread title, that C-POP, although sad to see someone have a setback, was going to turn into a second location of "TOAST" [[currently in Ferndale).

Say it ain't so, Digital, 'cause you'll turn me into a Mauser. The Toast folks are no friendly replacement for a business in Detroit. Prepare yourselves for many a new thread on those two.

Just kidding, of course *cough* not really *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    Mauser, your happiness at another's bad luck is off-putting. We're experiencing some of the worst times ever. To hear someone who is almost giddy about a gallery's failing is very sad.
    No bad luck, and no giddiness over a lost gallery. I am "offputting" to you, and thats new to this thread ?

I see this as a bad thing happening to bad people.

And you have purchased how much art from these folks ? I would bet nothing.

Put the money where the mouth is, or close the mouth.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast