Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Quicken ups total to be moved downtown

http://freep.com/article/20100302/CO...-2400-downtown

Seems as though the rental of "nearby buildings" mentioned might refer to 1001 Woodward.

I hear First National contains a lot of empty space these days.

Quote Originally Posted by artds View Post
    I hear First National contains a lot of empty space these days.
    Both buildings [[First National & 1001 Woodward) contain a lot of empty space, but, rumor has it, that 1001 Woodward has been undergoing a long slow process of renovations... floor by floor... and take a gander at some of the floors of the First National Building sometime... there are broken and open windows, so there is every possibility that neither building is really in suitable condition for lease... this is good news nonetheless... Comerica is, however, moving out of their tower, and I am certain, that the staff currently there is dwindling so I wouldn't rule out this one either, being just a stone's throw away from Campus Martius...

The best news in this whole announcement, is the fact that they still plan to build their own headquarters downtown.

I wonder if he'll be requiring more tax credits or DEGC support to move those employees to some leased space in an already existing building?

Good news.... just get downtown already.

neighbor Guest

blah, blah, blah.

Move or get off the pot.

How long do things like this take?

Of course if this does ever happen it is pretty much a wash for the area. It's not like the jobs are coming from out of state.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    I wonder if he'll be requiring more tax credits or DEGC support to move those employees to some leased space in an already existing building?
    The tax credits granted to Quicken are contingent on them building a facility of their own, I believe that 10 percent or so of them are just for moving downtown, the other 90% are for the building.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by texorama View Post

Seems as though the rental of "nearby buildings" mentioned might refer to 1001 Woodward.
    This would be good. Though the building from the outside looks a little monolithic, it is really nice inside...the state offices/Court of Appeals that were there before moving to New Center were impressive [[though I'm not sure how much renovation or work has been done since, these were on the upper floors), and it would be nice to see a number of actual lights on in the building after dark instead just a couple and the reflection off of Compuware.

I had to edit this after realizing I used the word "nice" eight times.

Quote Originally Posted by esp1986 View Post
    The tax credits granted to Quicken are contingent on them building a facility of their own, I believe that 10 percent or so of them are just for moving downtown, the other 90% are for the building.
    I had not heard that before, when do they expire? does dan just need to keep saying he's in the exploratory phase to keep them alive?

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    I had not heard that before, when do they expire? does dan just need to keep saying he's in the exploratory phase to keep them alive?
    I'm pretty sure there is a deadline for construction start... I can't remember for sure, but I want to say 2013...

It would be more healthier for the market if they did not build a new building. There is plenty of space available.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    It would be more healthier for the market if they did not build a new building. There is plenty of space available.
    While that would be the best thing if they solely needed office space, based on past comments by Dan Gilbert, he is seeking to build a multi-faceted development, which will, not coincidentally, include the Quicken compound. He has indicated he wants an entertainment based development that will attract young people to downtown, and since the development would be so big, the city had offered him 3 of the largest lots in town, the Hudson, Monroe and Statler blocks.

I have heard from a couple people, that they may be waiting until the Red Wings resolve their arena situation before any development plans are finalized. Should the Red Wings build anew, that arena would likely be behind the Fox, in which case, it would make a lot more sense for Quicken to build on the Statler site to attract more people from the arena/stadium/theater district, but without a whole lot on that side of GCP right now, it doesn't make sense for them to build now, but by waiting [[in addition to the economy), they give themselves time to see if there would be an arena built there, which would likely result in a full blown rehab of the GCP area.

If the need was solely for office space, the Comerica Tower, First National Building and 1001 Woodward would be fantastic, though Comerica and 1001 really lack accessible ground floor retail, but since he wants more, they don't really fit... He wants to make it a people friendly place so that the Quicken employees feel more comfortable downtown, as he is trying to attract them down there to be full time residents, so the multi-faceted development is more important to him, and that can't really be done with an existing building...
    Last edited by esp1986; March-02-10 at 12:42 PM.

I've always thought the Tuller Block/UA Theater fits the description of what Gilbert is looking for. Build the tower where the Tuller once stood and renovate the UA Building [[and theater) for Fat Head ect...or turn that in to apartments. Who knows, he could have a direct view of a new hockey arena if he locates there.

Quote Originally Posted by tkelly1986 View Post
    I've always thought the Tuller Block/UA Theater fits the description of what Gilbert is looking for. Build the tower where the Tuller once stood and renovate the UA Building [[and theater) for Fat Head ect...or turn that in to apartments. Who knows, he could have a direct view of a new hockey arena if he locates there.
    There are all sorts of possibilities... When he was actively looking back in 2007, the Ilitches promptly put a new roof on the UA... this is actually the best place for a big complex because of the land... both the Statler and Tuller blocks could be used for the development, as it would likely need a parking garage too... and the UA could either be apartments or offices, and the UA Theatre could serve as part of the multi-screen theater, and the whole area would allow for more retail and traffic even from Tigers games in the summer...

Too bad Gilbert owns the Cavs - perfect scenario would for him to buy the Pistons and a dual stadium with the Wings downtown would be a no brainer. Although, with Wilson in the mix at Illitchville, there's a chance this will happen regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt The Deuce View Post
    Too bad Gilbert owns the Cavs - perfect scenario would for him to buy the Pistons and a dual stadium with the Wings downtown would be a no brainer. Although, with Wilson in the mix at Illitchville, there's a chance this will happen regardless.
    There was speculation last week that perhaps Gilbert would sell the Cavs and buy the Pistons, kind of like John Henry did in MLB with the Marlins and Red Sox.

Don't overlook the fact that Rock Financial was a major sponsor of the Pistons well before Dan bought the Cleveland team. In the paper today, he said he wants to see a new stadium downtown and noted that Detroit and Sacramento are the only markets where the teams play out in the boonies.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    There was speculation last week that perhaps Gilbert would sell the Cavs and buy the Pistons, kind of like John Henry did in MLB with the Marlins and Red Sox.

Don't overlook the fact that Rock Financial was a major sponsor of the Pistons well before Dan bought the Cleveland team. In the paper today, he said he wants to see a new stadium downtown and noted that Detroit and Sacramento are the only markets where the teams play out in the boonies.
    This has been speculated a few times... Gilbert publicly denied it, or at least a spokesman did, but that doesn't mean there isn't something going on behind closed doors... time will tell.

Can you cite this article? I would like to read it,

Too bad this move didn't come in time to save the Lafayette.

Quote Originally Posted by rbdetsport View Post
    Can you cite this article? I would like to read it,
    It was in today's Free Press, on the front page.

http://www.freep.com/article/20100302/COL06/3020366/Quicken-founder-wants-to-bring-2400-downtown

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    Too bad this move didn't come in time to save the Lafayette.
    When you say that, are you assuming that they had plans to move into the Lafayette? I really am not familiar with what they had in mind.

I am still not seeing in that article where it is noted that Detroit and Sacramento are the only markets where the teams play out in the boonies.

Yes, there are a lot of empty buildings downtown that could become a nice Quicken HQ, such as 1001 Woodward, or the David Whitney Building.

But if he says he wants to build anew... so be it.

One thing I can say is.... that "the entire Statler block" is available for Mr. Gilbert, and that he's aware of this....

As other posters have said... the combined Statler and Tuller/UA complex that includes new construction mixed with old restoration/renovation would be the best of all scenarios.

quicken??? are they in the mortgage business??? they really have money now to move and build?? find that hard to believe... hope they have diversified into other businesses other than mortgage....

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    quicken??? are they in the mortgage business??? they really have money now to move and build?? find that hard to believe... hope they have diversified into other businesses other than mortgage....
    Um, according to the article in the newspaper today and at the top of this thread...........yea.

It'd be nice if the current state of the company is truly in the great state that it is in now, they would AT LEAST pick a site to build on and start working on design plans. But if it's true he's waiting to see what will happen with the Wings new stadium, could be awhile.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast