Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Help with data for Georgia St Neighborhood

Hello everyone,
    I am trying to get some data about my neighborhood [[population, poverty level, homes etc.) Grinnell St to the North, Harper to the South, Gratiot to the East, and Vandyke to the West. I have an oppurtunity to give a tour of our neighborhood to a committe choosing to bring help, hopefully grant funds, to the 48213 zip code. Is there a website where I can get this data from. Specific to blocks not necessarily the whole 48213 area code [[I googled that info).

Mark/Cub

Hi Mark,

I have been away for a few days [[went to NYC for my grandmother's funeral), but I can try to see if I can find anything for you tomorrow. The census provides data on a tract-by-tract basis, but the last census was in 2000 and I am not sure how they have updated their data, if at all. I will let you know if I can find anything. I am sure some others around here may have better suggestions, too.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cub View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I am trying to get some data about my neighborhood [[population, poverty level, homes etc.) Grinnell St to the North, Harper to the South, Gratiot to the East, and Vandyke to the West. I have an oppurtunity to give a tour of our neighborhood to a committe choosing to bring help, hopefully grant funds, to the 48213 zip code. Is there a website where I can get this data from. Specific to blocks not necessarily the whole 48213 area code [[I googled that info).

Mark/Cub
    Here's a website that will give you some data by census tract. The area you are searching for lies in different census tracts, so it might be difficult. Get the census tracts number and then go to american fact finder and see if they have more data.

Type in addresses to get to where you want to be.

http://www.novoco.com/new_markets/resources/ct/

Also, clicking on the tracts gives some demographics of each area, by certain economics.
    And the New Market Tax credit is valid throuought the area.
    Last edited by Stosh; March-01-10 at 11:51 PM.

Stosh Guest

Actually, that covers only 2 census tracts, so numbers would not be a problem

Bump to keep this at the top!

Stosh!!! That is exactly what I needed! Thank You. And Thank You Cman for your efforts!

The data I have shows that your area is within census tracts 5046 and 5047 which are bound by Grinnell, French, Gratiot, I-94, and Van Dyke. The dividing line between the two tracts is McClellan [[5046 to the east, 5047 to the west).

According to the 2000 Census...

Tract 5046

Population data
    Population: 1629
    White only: 39
    Black only: 1548
    Am Indian only: 4
    Asian only: 1
    Other only: 9
    Two plus: 28
    Youth: 536 [[32.9%)
    AGed 18-64: 884
    Aged 65+: 209 [[12.83%)
    Hispanic: 23
    % female: 55.68%
    Median age: 30.1

Housing data
    Housing Units: 630
    Vacant Housing Units: 88
    Occupied Housing Units: 542
    Owner Occupied: 340
    Renter Occupied: 202
    Median Rent: $387
    Median Year Built: 1947

Income data
    Total Households: 479
    Income <10k: 107
    10k-15k: 34
    15k-25k: 56
    25k-35k: 89
    35k-50k: 80
    50k-75k: 61
    >75k: 52
    Median Income: $27,750
    In poverty: 147 [[30.69%)
    Public Assist: 93 [[19%)
    Suplemental Security Inc: 88 [[18%)
    Social Security: 171 [[36%)
    Retirement Inc: 73 [[15%)

Tract 5047

Population data
    Population: 3432
    White only: 52
    Black only: 3329
    Am Indian only: 3
    Asian only: 1
    Pacific Is only: 1
    Other only: 9
    Two plus: 37
    Youth: 1158 [[33.74%)
    Aged 18-64: 1899
    Aged 65+: 375 [[10.93%)
    Hispanic: 13
    % female: 52.33%
    Median age: 30.1

Housing data
    Housing Units: 1376
    Vacant Housing Units: 215
    Occupied Housing Units: 1161
    Owner Occupied: 622
    Renter Occupied: 539
    Median Rent: $377
    Median Year Built: 1944

Income data
    Total Households: 1198
    Income <10k: 281
    10k-15k: 134
    15k-25k: 233
    25k-35k: 227
    35k-50k: 150
    50k-75k: 95
    >75k: 78
    Median Income: $22,992
    In poverty: 355 [[29.63%)
    Public Assist: 185 [[15%)
    Suplemental Security Inc: 152 [[13%)
    Social Security: 392 [[33%)
    Retirement Inc: 215 [[18%)

Tract map:

Attachment 5373

Here is a link to census data:

http://www.factfinder.census.gov/ser...=getPlacenames

Use the "Search for" menu to choose your census tract [[or block group or block) and it will produce a list of data tables with all the information you're looking for.

Thank You MikeM!!!! I guess it would be safe to say those numbers are different today. But this should be good info to let this commitee know we need help.

Mark/Cub

Cub, there's a guy named Kurt Metzger who'd be very good to talk to. His job is to get and give out data to help non-profits in Detroit.

Check out his blog at http://www.metromodemedia.com/blogs/...tzger0131.aspx

From a description of him on the blog:

After speaking for 30 years about the need for coordinated data collection and delivery in Southeast Michigan, in 2008 Kurt was selected by the Skillman and Kresge foundations to develop and direct a new foundation-funded regional data indicators system, the Detroit Area Community Information System. In this capacity, he plans to reach out to data developers in the government, nonprofit and private sectors and explain to them the importance of making their data publicly available and to offer them a system that will facilitate the process. In addition, the vision for D-ACIS is to serve as a regional information resource – a one-stop hub where information from any and all sources around the region are housed, coordinated, and made publicly available.

Kurt's demographic research interests dovetail well with the essence of D-ACIS' charge – namely, developing a "centralized" data repository that will facilitate a variety of research, education and service programs designed to improve the understanding of population and housing patterns in metropolitan Detroit and urban America.

Good Luck Cub, You can make it work.