Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Liberals and atheists are smarter

They go to a community college that teaches Atheism.

Smarter or better educated? There is a difference you know.

Neither Bailey nor Kanazawa identify themselves as liberal; Bailey is conservative and Kanazawa is "a strong libertarian."
    -- Just to nail that down before the lies launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post

The study correleated the traits with IQ, not years of education.

But if you knew how to read, you'd know that.

I love this verse of the Bible. Although I'm not sure where I am in this progression

1 Corinthians 3:18 Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you thinks that he is wise in this age, he must become foolish, so that he may become wise."

http://bible.cc/isaiah/5-21.htm

The IQ differences, while statistically significant, are not stunning -- on the order of 6 to 11 points -- and the data should not be used to stereotype or make assumptions about people, experts say
    Why bother to report it then?

I've been to colleges, taught in colleges. never seen a class on atheism. of which college do you speak?

The authors of the study must be really smart!

As to liberals being smarter, I suspect that in college towns that is probably so and even across the country and Western Europe as a whole which is what the guy tested. Detroit, however, has been ranked as the most liberal city in the US by its voting record. It has about a 70% high school dropout rate so I don't think that the smart liberal theorem would hold for the Detroit metro area. In other places like Iran, my guess is that those around the very religious power structure would be smart as exist at the top of the heap in most other countries. If Marxism could be considered as a proxy for religion, something to believe in, my guess is that the Communist Party members in China would have a higher average IQ than the rest of the population who might not be as into the gospel of Marx.

Easter European Jews have the highest measurable IQ of any population in the world averaging 115 compared with 104 for East Asians and 100 for whites. One theory I've read about how that came about is that in traditional Jewish culture, the highest status role was that of rabbi. All boys had to learn to read to study scriptures even way back in Jesus' day. The very brightest were recruited to be rabbis. Presumably, as high status dudes, they had their choice of mates and since couples tend to choose mates of equal intelligence, their bright kids were kept in the very center of Jewish communities. Meanwhile, the schleps who couldn't keep up in class were not as highly valued and were more likely to slough off the from the culture. Result: the brightest had a cultural edge in procreation within that culture for hundreds of years resulting in a higher average IQ. Maybe that is an exception to the rule but it is one instance a culture in which religiousness and IQ had a positive correlation.

I don't know how monogamy was tied to liberalism in the study. I haven't thought about any connection before and haven't seen any good statistics. I remember reading that fundamentalists had just as high or higher of a divorce rate than the general population but don't know if social class was taken into account as fundamentalists tend to be poor.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Maybe that is an exception to the rule but it is one instance a culture in which religiousness and IQ had a positive correlation.
    I am pretty dubious of any studies purporting to measure "intelligence." The only studies I've seen that are often replicated with similar results place the emphasis on parental involvement in education, and on the value parents put on education. that is clearly the case with Eastern European Jews, with various asian cultures, etc. Far too many segments of our culture devalue education, and the US has had a strong anti-intellectual bent since at least the mid-1800s.

Pam,

Best post on this thread.

Retroit Guest

"The participants were interviewed as 18- to 28-year-olds..."

Considering that most people in this age group with high IQs are also college students or recent graduates and considering that colleges are liberal, atheistic institutions for the most part, it doesn't surprise me that impressionable young people would acquire those beliefs [[or lack of beliefs!).

I would like to see a survey of the same people after they've had time to witness the failures and irrationality of the beliefs that they've been brainwashed into by their college professors.

"Religion... goes along the lines of helping people to be paranoid..."

How does trusting in God encourage people to be paranoid.

"Liberals are more likely to be concerned about total strangers; conservatives are likely to be concerned with people they associate with..."

I guess that since I'm a conservative that I should stop contributing to international charities? Maybe someone should tell all the [[conservative) churches to stop all their charity work.

Another B.S. study promulgated by the Communist News Network.

My guess is, if a similar study was published by Fox News saying Conservatism and God-fearingness were linked to high intelligence, you would say that the study was dead on and written in stone truth Retroit

Retroit Guest

Of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    "The participants were interviewed as 18- to 28-year-olds..."

Considering that most people in this age group with high IQs are also college students or recent graduates and considering that colleges are liberal, atheistic institutions for the most part, it doesn't surprise me that impressionable young people would acquire those beliefs [[or lack of beliefs!).

I would like to see a survey of the same people after they've had time to witness the failures and irrationality of the beliefs that they've been brainwashed into by their college professors.
    I don’t think these young people you speak of were as impressionable as they were when they were children and forcible indoctrinated into a religion. I’ve sure they’ve had plenty of time to review the history and utter stain on humanity religion’s effect has had on the world.

"Religion... goes along the lines of helping people to be paranoid..."

How does trusting in God encourage people to be paranoid.
    It’s not teaching just trust, it also teaches fear, and terrible punishments for failing to obey.

"Liberals are more likely to be concerned about total strangers; conservatives are likely to be concerned with people they associate with..."

I guess that since I'm a conservative that I should stop contributing to international charities? Maybe someone should tell all the [[conservative) churches to stop all their charity work.

Another B.S. study promulgated by the Communist News Network.
    The adjective of the sentence is “more likely†which you interpreted as all. Whatever exception you claim to be to the rule, you can’t deny that the main objectors to programs that would be universally beneficial to everyone are primarily conservatives.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    I am pretty dubious of any studies purporting to measure "intelligence." The only studies I've seen that are often replicated with similar results place the emphasis on parental involvement in education, and on the value parents put on education. that is clearly the case with Eastern European Jews, with various asian cultures, etc. Far too many segments of our culture devalue education, and the US has had a strong anti-intellectual bent since at least the mid-1800s.
    Well stated, Rb. The problem with many studies is that they seem to confirm the agenda of whoever financed them. I know the article identifies the folks as conservative and libertarian, but who commissioned it? Besides, what's the point of this study, very few on either side will change their views.

And I do agree that many folks in America, especially rural areas, the rise in anti-intellectual sentiment is pretty alarming. Notice these are the areas where clowns like Sara Palin and Joe the Plumber are most popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Notice these are the areas where clowns like .....
    Notice elitism and looking down one's nose upon others....
    the data should not be used to stereotype or make assumptions about people, experts say
    Too late. The stereotypers are already at work

Quote Originally Posted by Papasito View Post
    Notice elitism and looking down one's nose upon others....
    What else do you call it when their circus comes to town?

Shared the link to spark discussion.
    Came back to watch the knee-jerk conservatives trip over themselves to tear it apart and dismiss it as a liberal pack o' lies.
    Left satisfied.

Actually, there are some good points made here. The way I took it was, it's a very specific [[though long-term and far-reaching) study that may not have even concluded yet. The researchers are publishing what they've found so far. Nothing more, nothing less. It may not mean anything to the general public, but in scientific circles it's important because it adds to their collection of data. Who knows if they'll follow up with the subjects in, say, ten years and find something different?

Pam's post summed it up best:

Quote:
    ""The IQ differences, while statistically significant, are not stunning -- on the order of 6 to 11 points -- and the data should not be used to stereotype or make assumptions about people, experts say""

It's BS.

Retroit Guest

Because knee-jerk liberals will continue to trip over themselves trying to portray themselves as ethically and intellectually superior.

The are likely smarter, but it does not mean they are RIGHT.

Pam's post summed it up best:

Quote:
    ""The IQ differences, while statistically significant, are not stunning -- on the order of 6 to 11 points -- and the data should not be used to stereotype or make assumptions about people, experts say""

It's BS.
    Um, because it's part of the scientific record? They've been doing this study since 2001. How dare they publish the results [[so far) in the Social Psychology Quarterly if they don't fit with someone's worldview!

Science became politically slanted with the GW fiasco
    Science is no longer an uncorrupt or unbiased field
    Funding has massive influence on the scientific community

Quote:

A six point IQ difference between two groups, in this case conservatives and liberals in England, would make a huge difference in the number of geniuses each group produces. Since the genius IQ threshold is 140 and only one out of 100 people have a 140 IQ in an average population, the curve of a higher scoring group would include many more geniuses. These are the people who propel technology and science among other things.

Of course, IQ's are not an exclusive measure of intelligence or success.
    1) Social IQ isn't even measured on IQ tests.
    2) Being a liberal or conservative is not inherited.
    3) If it were, liberals have fewer children than conservatives and would be doomed but for conversion of low IQ conservatives' kids.

Um, because it's part of the scientific record? They've been doing this study since 2001. How dare they publish the results [[so far) in the Social Psychology Quarterly if they don't fit with someone's worldview!
    No, that's not what I meant. If it is not enough of a point difference to "make assumptions" about people, then why are they making assumptions about people? Are the results significant or not? It seems like they are saying yes and no.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast