Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Buying pisco locally?

Does anyone know where I can buy pisco, a liquer from Chile and Peru? Thanks.

Go to your local liquor store and ask them to order it. We were curious about a specialty vodka and our local market brought it in for us. Sadly we never got to taste it because we gave it away as host/hostess gifts at Christmas time.

Did a quick google search and you can buy it online. Apparently there are several variations though.

Thanks, I saw that you can buy it online but Michigan is one of the states that prohibits purchasing alcohol by mail.

Sarah,

I don't know someone who carries your particular poison, however, every liquor store in Michigan buys their stock from the same source: The Michigan Liquor Commission.

Here is a PDF which list every liquor available in Michigan:
    http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dl...0_306182_7.pdf

What you need to to is go to a good liquor store, as they are usually more customer focused. Tell them what you are looking for. The code numbers are in the PDF for Alto Del Carmen Pisco Resrvado. The liquor store will then call in and place the order with the Liquor Control.

I suggest you offer to buy more than one bottle. This will show the store owner you appreciate the extra effort they will go through on your behalf.

Gnome,

Thanks. I did not know that it all came from the same place. Learned something new today. Thats why I like this forum - helpful people.

Sarah

There is a liquor store at 17mile and Dequindre [[Northeast corner, Sterling Heights) that I believe I have seen it at.

Sarah,

No Problem. The way Michigan Liquor stores purchase their stock is somewhat unique to Michgan and its roots are found in the repeal of the Volstead Act.

If you didn't know, all liquor stores are suppose to charge the exact same price. Big or small. Mom and Pop or superstore every bottle of liquor is the same price. IIRC, Lansing folks tried to change this a couple of years ago, but I don't believe it passed.

Beer and wine is a different story altogether and is also wrapped up in the Volstead Act and quashing beer gardens and the problems they allegedly caused. This law served to retard the microbrewery/brewpub industry and while we are catching up, it is still far behind other states like Oregon and Washington.

One thing you might find eye-crossingly strange: theMichigan Liquor Control keeps records on all liquor sales and report those sales to the tax people. What that means is when Bob's Saloon buys a case of Chivas from Liquor Control Bob had better show the coresponding sales tax receipts. Hence, when Bob wants to hide some sales, he will go to a retail store and pay retail price for his liquor. It is kind of an open non-secret that all bar owners know about. The Liquor Control people know about this secret as well, and will go into Bob's Saloon and count how many bottles of Chivas he has in stock. If the numbers don't add up, Bob is in jepordy of getting fined.

For example, Bob goes to Liquor Control and buys a case of Chivas, but a liquor agent shows up the next week and Bob has 4 cases of chivas. In short, Bob has some 'splaining to do.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Sarah,

One thing you might find eye-crossingly strange: theMichigan Liquor Control keeps records on all liquor sales and report those sales to the tax people. What that means is when Bob's Saloon buys a case of Chivas from Liquor Control Bob had better show the coresponding sales tax receipts. Hence, when Bob wants to hide some sales, he will go to a retail store and pay retail price for his liquor. It is kind of an open non-secret that all bar owners know about. The Liquor Control people know about this secret as well, and will go into Bob's Saloon and count how many bottles of Chivas he has in stock. If the numbers don't add up, Bob is in jepordy of getting fined.

For example, Bob goes to Liquor Control and buys a case of Chivas, but a liquor agent shows up the next week and Bob has 4 cases of chivas. In short, Bob has some 'splaining to do.
    Interesting... but in your example, isn't Bob paying more at the retail store than he would if he bought from liquor control. The mark up must be less than the tax or it's not worth it to Bob, right?

Didn't know that Michigan bans internet spirits orders. Did check with my favorite party store and it is not on their list of items they can order from the liquior control board. They said they would check on their next order because the lists are not always current. If they can get it they will call and I will post.

Good luck I know how frustrating it can be to want something and it is out of reach

Problem temporarily solved. I am having a bottle shipped to my mother in Florida... visiting in three weeks so I'll get it then. But this is an expensive solution ;-)

I saw it a couple of times in liquor stores on the southwest side years ago and grabbed a couple of bottles while I could. "Exotic" liquors tend to disappear quickly in Michigan, as the Liquor control people will buy a few cases to try out and if it doesn't sell they won't reorder and you may not see it again for quite some time. So, even if the market later changes, they may be unwilling to stock something for awhile. This is what limited the tequila market here [[almost no reposados or anjeos available) for many years, and made a lot of single malts and sakes difficult to find. Good news is that much more is easily available an hour away in Ohio.

I learn a lot on this board too. Didn't know about the inventory thing. Know several barkeeps that buy their wares at retail stores. Guess these are cash based establishments. I have mentioned on previous threads we don't get out much anymore but still check in on our favorite dives maybe once a month.

We made friends with owners and patrons. They are like a little community all to themselves. Hate to lose that silly connection. We have helped pay bills, graduation gifts to their kids and of course more than a few funerals. A local bar is really a unique setting. Strangers are friends. Actually have seen many city notables is these dive bars. Have had some great conversations. Some great card games too!

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Sarah,

If you didn't know, all liquor stores are suppose to charge the exact same price. Big or small. Mom and Pop or superstore every bottle of liquor is the same price. IIRC, Lansing folks tried to change this a couple of years ago, but I don't believe it passed.

Gnome, I was under the impression that all liquor stores charged the same price, as well. However, a while ago, I spotted a liquor store that had a big sign outside advertising it charged the "Minimum allowable State price". I asked someone in the restaurant business about the one-price-for-all practice and they told me I was nuts. In fact, the liquor pricebook you linked to in your previous post also lists the "Minimum shelf price."

I always made a practice of buying my liquor from a small store figuring I was supporting an independent operation rather than say, a CVS. What I wonder is, if both you and I were under the impression that all stores charge the same price, did this practice actually exist, and if so, when was the law changed?

It changed maybe 3-5 years ago. Now there is a minimum price, but stores can mark it up more if they want to.....

Room222: you are right there. My mama told me you better shop around.

Thank you for setting me straight. Guess my info was a little old. See, this is what happens when you cut down on your bar time,... you get your rumors and innuendo all mixed up.