Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Bar next to Oblivions

Me and my wife [[feels strange writing that after being a free spirit for the longest) stopped at a bar[[cant remember the name of the place) next to Oblivions for a burger and on tap Harpers beer..used to be a fireman hangout[[lots of fireman memorabilia) -off duty cops party there these days-bullet holes in the ceiling from an off duty sate troopers gun...somewhat mature mellow crowd with the exception of one obnoxious yet amicable drunk whom the tough bartender Sylvia kept in line..she locked up early but let a few regulars slide in..the drinks flew with some free toasts-cheers! Me and Sylvia ended up dancing on the counter together and she coaxed my wife Nancy to kick off her boots and join us..very friendly place...the gent several seats down moved from New Baltimore into a Corktown and another nice lady was raving about a co-op at 1300 Beaubian so overall it was a positive place to party. Oh and some decent graffiti reading in the mens room and historical character..building looks to be late 19th century...

DC48080 Guest

Name of this bar? Location? Might want to check it out.... sounds fun.

Caseys perhaps?

DC48080 Guest

I may have to vebture down there sometime soon.

Hey, does anybody know if Skipper's new place in Hamtramck is open on Sundays?

Michigan Guest

That is Holson's Old Port Liquor Bar.

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
    That is Holson's Old Port Liquor Bar.
    Thanks for the info.

That is Casey's, one of the top 3 burgers in Metro Detroit!

It's also sad to hear that it's for sale

Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    I may have to vebture down there sometime soon.

Hey, does anybody know if Skipper's new place in Hamtramck is open on Sundays?
    Not yet. Working on it though. It'll be posted prominently when it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by 313rd View Post
    That is Casey's, one of the top 3 burgers in Metro Detroit!

It's also sad to hear that it's for sale
    Yep, it's Casey's. Eddie had a good, long run. We all have to exit at some time. I've heard he's selling it to one of his employees. The listing may just be a formality, or maybe the deal with his employee fell through. Regardless, it's a good joint and if he's not asking a ridiculous price or terms [[cash???), it'll likely have a new owner. Of course, that's assuming they can get through the MLCC, DPD and Detroit City hall without slaying someone.