Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Congratulations and Go Canada!

As a citizen of our great international city, I feel a great bond with Canada that goes beyond my Canadian grandparents and French Canadian ancestors. So I am thrilled to see the Canadian Olympic performance succeed so well [most gold medals by a country ever] especially in their home-hosted event. Gold medalist Canadian pairs skaters training in Canton with silver medalist Americans is a symbolic snapshot of our special bond.

It also gives me pause to think how blessed we in the US are to have this gentle and prosperous giant of a neighbor and how miserable our life could be if we were hostile neighbors as we see in the Balkans, the Caucasian mountains and other areas of strife. It is something that we take for granted but really never should and instead should give thanks for each and every day.

That said, and as much as I would like to see the American hockey team win a gold medal, I am hoping team Canada will prevail today to bring gold to the final crowning jewel of their successes and in their sporting gift to the world. And why not, with 'our' Steve Yzerman, hockey's greatest gentleman since Gordie Howe, behind the team and our Mike Babcock behind the bench, this will be our Detroit-Windsor win too. Go Canada!

Right on Lowell.

[[But, I hope we win today)

When Team USA wins again, it will be our win as Brian Rafalski is from Detroit and on the Detroit Red Wings.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    As a citizen of our great international city, I feel a great bond with Canada that goes beyond my Canadian grandparents and French Canadian ancestors. So I am thrilled to see the Canadian Olympic performance succeed so well [most gold medals by a country ever] especially in their home-hosted event. Gold medalist Canadian pair skaters training in Canton with silver medalist Americans is a symbolic snapshot of our special bond.

It also gives me pause to think how blessed we in the US are to have this gentle and prosperous giant of a neighbor and how miserable our life could be if we were hostile neighbors as we see in the Balkans, the Caucasian mountains and other areas of strife. It is something that we take for granted but really never should and instead should give thanks for each and every day.

That said, and as much as I would like to see the American hockey team win a gold medal, I am hoping team Canada will prevail today to bring gold to the final crowning jewel of their successes and in their sporting gift to the world. And why not, with 'our' Steve Yzerman, hockey's greatest gentleman since Gordie Howe, behind the team and our Steve Babcock on the bench, this will be our Detroit-Windsor win too. Go Canada!
    Yes, but the US has won the most medals in an individual Olympics this year with 37

This is a big game for those of us who played hockey as kids in the Detroit area in the late 60's and early 70's. The game was not as popular then here as it is now. We did not have the facilities, ice time, and coaching that our Canadian neighbors did. So when we played against them in those old barns in little towns throughout Ontario, we usually got it handed to us pretty good. But we kept playing and helped grow the game here. More and more Americans made it to the NHL. I love Canada. Love their culture, food, people, and especially their beer. But I hope we spank them today.

I'm hoping for an exciting, high scoring, nail biter game that goes down to the wire or maybe overtime.

Default Thanks to you guys in Detroit for your goodwill!

Thank you for your goodwill and friendship Lowell and other folks on this forum in anticipation of tonight's game. I am rooting for Canada of course but I'm happy that the US is in the finals. It also makes me proud that Americans of french-canadian ancestry recognize the contributions made to our continent's history. Good luck to you guys on either side of the border! JFK

As an American living in Canada for most of my married life...it makes me no never mind which side wins. IMHO the collective of the Canadians and Americans are winners already.

I didn't know what hockey was till I married a Canadian - I had never heard of it until the winter of 1972.

As daddeeo stated, I too am hoping for an exciting, high scoring, nail biter game that goes down to the wire or maybe overtime. So, here's hoping we get entertained today! Attachment 5327 - Ice cold Bud and Canadian on tap

Sigh. Stroh's or Labatt's. Decisions, decisions!

While I've always loved our Canadian brothers and sister to the south, I will be cheering my head off for Team USA. I hope to see our boys deprive Cindy Crosby of a gold medal. Of coarse, I'll be drinking Molson while I do my cheering!

Coming from a long line of Canadian ancestors [[via France and later Ireland), and with cousins living across the way, I certainly take pride in what Canada has accomplished at this 2010 Olympic Games, both in the games themselves and as the host country.

While I will still be pulling for Team USA as they battle Canada for HOCKEY GOLD, no matter who wins, we will all be proud of the two teams. Go, USA!!

And thanks to CANADA!!! I will remember these Games for many years to come.

OMG! Did you all see that!!! We're in for a new game! What a nail chewer I've been through this - I'll have 'em down to the nubs before this is over with!

hahaha...first Canada was all , now they're all

I personally hope the U.S. kicks major ass and wins.

Well, How much do we Detroiters dislike Crosby now?

That @#*#@^$#*_ @$$#&[[#!

Oh Canada! Awesome game. Congrats to both teams for superbly played contest. What a tribute to the game of hockey.

It certainly was an awesome game....but still my heart aches a bit for Team USA. They played tremendous hockey, and Ryan Miller was awesome throughout the tournament. And Brian Rafalski was stellar, really did the Red Wings proud!!!

Congrats to Team Canada!!

gravitymachine Guest

fuck that schmaltsy feel good, we're all winners bullshit, I want sydney crosby's head on a pike in campus martius.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Ryan Miller was awesome throughout the tournament. And Brian Rafalski was stellar, really did the Red Wings proud!!!
    I was proud of all our boys from Michigan, hell, it seems half the team is from here.

Congratulations to our neighbor's from the south for a job well done.[[even if it means Cindy gets a gold medal!)

That was so quick in OT I didn't have time to get to the nubs!

Way to go Canada with the Gold! And way to go USA with the Silver! Now that's not too shabby. Out of all the countries competing, these two won the top medals. Congratulations to both teams! You guys did your respective countries proud.

Gordie....what is your opinion?

Just like Kathleen, I am of french-canadian and irish ancestry and although I live in Montreal, I have family all over the US and my ancestors lived on both sides of the border. I am proud of the effort both teams gave, they played to win; something the russians didnt do. Good job Canada! And Rafalsky played a hell of a tournament Detroit! From one hockeytown to another! Bravo pour l'effort les États-Unis!

Welcome to DYes, Canuck. And thanks for your insight and checking in from Montreal.

Thanks Kathleen, I'm interested in what's happening in Detroit. I've been checking out all the Detroit blogs for the past month because I was distressed at what the city was going through, and in spite of a lot of negativity, there seems to be alot of opportunity for change. I think Detroiters have a chance at reinventing their city and I wish that urban planners worldwide could help out through a contest of sorts. But this is something for another forum...

I'm gonna go with: YEAH NORTH AMERICA!

Congratulations Team Canada.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast